Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all:

I am beginning to explore the world of old and older Leitz lenses for my M cameras. I recently purchased a 1935 50mm f3.5 Elmar (uncoated LTM, used with a LTM to M adapter ring) and just got a 1955 50mm f2.0 LTM Summitar (again, LTM with LTM to M adapter). I just saw a SOOTF adapter for sale, advertised as allowing the use of filters for the Summitar on the Elmar. Is that so?

Also, can "swing-out" polarizing filters be used on the Summitar? I have one for my Summicron (V3) and another for my Summilux (V1 - 1959). Were any made for the Summitar?

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Guy

Yes, the SOOTF adapted the Summitar filter to the A 36 diameter to slip on an 5 cm Elmar. Though your question about the swing-out polarizer on the Sumitar leaves me at a loss. You would need another adapter to fit it on the special Summitar filter mount, but I cannot find anything which seems to fit.

Thanks, Uli, John:

Uli: I am still waiting for the SOOTF to arrive from the seller on the (not so) bad e-Bay. I'll comment on it when I get it.

John: I do have a 13352 "swing-out" polarizer, and you are correct, it does fit the Summitar. By the way, what is the size of the screw-in filters for the Summitar? Thanks.

Guy

The FISUM is the (historically) correct swing-out polarizer for the Summitar. The POOLN is the A-36 version for the Elmar, etc. As you are not a historical fanatic (using LTM lenses on an M camera), the #13352 Polarizer will work fine on the Summitar, and with your Elmar via the SOOTF. I have also found the #12504 lens hood invaluable. It allows Series 7 filters to be used in place of the #13352.

By the way, what is the size of the screw-in filters for the Summitar?

The diameter is 36.5 mm, and it's screw mount differs from all other Leica-filters. The original Summitar-filters are rather rare. They fit exactly on the lenses front, so they are also the most stylish filters:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-sammler-historica/101208-uva-ja-oder.html#post1066585

• 11 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Checking the Leica general catalogue, I believe that the SOOTF allows you to attach both Summitar 50mm 1:2 filters, which screw in to a thread located close to the front element, and Summarit 50mm 1:1.5 filters, which I seem to remember is an E41 screw in.The adapter is useful for any of the more narrow diameter lenses, such as the Hektor 135mm 1:4.5,  Elmar 50mm 1:3.5, Elmar 90mm 1:4 etc.

If you had the SNHOO as well then you could attach it to the SOOTF and you would even be able to attach E39 filters from your other lenses.

I'd say both SOOTF and SNHOO are almost essential items in the armoury.

Hello Everybody,

The A43 50mm F1.5 Summarit takes the 13360 Swing Out Polarizer. It takes E41 filters.

The A45 lenses, such as the first version 50mm F1.4 Summilux, take the 13351 Swing Out Polarizer. It takes E43 filters.

And the A42 lenses, such as the 50mm F2 Summicron take the 13352 Swing Out Polarizer. It takes E39 filters.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

And here is how the SOOTF looks like. And to please colleague seneschal, why not to add a photo of the SNHOO? It is true that when a collector-user, I considered both "rings" as "essential items in my armoury". And even examples of "economical" use.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1