Proof of concept regarding self coding of lenses

mike prevette

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Alexander,

The 90 is a type I (11123) the 35 is a type III (11309), neither are on the list of lenses that have codes at this time.

Sorry,

- C

Ok, thanks, but if i put in the codes for, let's say the 35/2 Pre-Asph, and the "newer" summicron 90/2 it should be better than without, atleast it will show the right focal lenght in the exif info...people are selfcoding their Zeiss and CV lenses so this should be ok...?

Thanks again... :-)

Best Regards

Alexander Tufte

http://www.alexandertufte.com

I Just coded my 28mm Voigtlander and my Zeiss 21mm. The interesting thig with the Zeiss is that since it doesn't bring up the proper framelines on the M8 I can turn the lens detection on or off with a simple press of the frame lines selection switch. The coding is indeed tied to what frame lines the M8 is displaying. This is a great little bonus. I love bieng able to tell the camera when to do the correction and when not to.

_mike

What framelines should it bring up then? The M8 has no 21 mm framelines.

In the meantime, here's a quick-and-dirty template.

Well, using Bob's template concept, I made one for myself out of a thin piece of plastic (actually a blank piece of X-ray film!). I just attempted to "code" 4 Leica lenses: 21/2.8, 35/1.4, 50noct, and 90/2.0...

All successful on the first try! Even the noct, which has a screw right in the place of one of the black dots. So did I just save myself $500???

Thanks again to all the contributors on this.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In the meantime, here's a quick-and-dirty template. Print it out; the gray surround should be exactly 2 inches by 2 inches.Cut out all the white parts. The cutout at lower left aligns with the little recessed slot in the lensmount; the holes then represent the code bit positions. It's easiest to get on if you cut the recessed-slot piece all the way through to the edge of the paper so you can just open the template up and slip it on. I've made it a nice shade of magenta :-) If you want a template you can use over and over again, I'd suggest a trip down to Office Depot to get some overhead transparencies to print the template on. That way your sharpie won't damage the template.

Bob,

Thanks for making the template, it's great. I must say that this is one of my favorite threads in a long time. Thanks for everyone who is helping to get this figured out.

Update: Thanks to your template, I just successfully coded a CV 35/2.5 Pancake II as a 35/2.0 Summicron. This is great. I'll add a discussion of this to the article.

Cheers,

Sean

You're welcome, Sean - I'm happy to be of service. Just a tiny contribution towards my debt to you, Jamie, & the others here.

I predict we will have all kinds of fun coding non-leica lenses in individual ways we see best. There are enough Leica lenses in the stable to do the cyan correction from a little bit to a lot. Just how much cyan/vignetting correction one wants to apply is somewhat subjective. I see a lot of possiblitlies for members to have strong opinions about the "proper" amount of correction, and flame each other when another member disagrees. Wheeeh... I can hardly wait! :p

I have added the lenses which Leica has said they will code to the lens table, even if I don't have the codes yet, along with order numbers. Help compiling all this info is appreciated:

Leica M8 Lens Codes

Carsten, you should feel free to post my template to your site with the codes, along with the instructions.

Just to be clear, I'm dedicating the template image (which I generated using Photoshop) to the public domain using the Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication (which basically means you can do anything you want with it).

I predict we will have all kinds of fun coding non-leica lenses in individual ways we see best. There are enough Leica lenses in the stable to do the cyan correction from a little bit to a lot. Just how much cyan/vignetting correction one wants to apply is somewhat subjective.

I think you may be right and I hope that comes to pass. I'm very much in favor of us doing our own experimentation with these combinations. Right now, I'm working with some people on an idea that could make it much easier to hand code LTM lens adapters (Leica and others).

Leica may not realize it yet but the viability of home-made coding will likely *help* not hurt M8 sales. It makes the camera more flexible.

All R-D1s should come with sturdy toothpicks. All M8s should now come with a Sharpie and a template. <G>

Cheers,

Sean

Cool as Stan, I could have saved myself a minute and forty three seconds.:D Can I still ask what the tape is for over the LCD?

At first I couldn't figure out what you were talking about but yes, it's there right over the top edge of the panel that houses the rear LCD. Strange.

- Vikas

Another trip to the office supply store.

I coded an old Emarit-M 21mm f/2.8 with the code for the Elmarit-M 21mm f/2.8 ASPH and the lens read 28.

I saw that a screw head was in the spot that made it read 011010 instead of the 011000 I was trying to get. Notice the "1" in the 5th place.

I used some white out and filled the screw head and the lens now reads 21.

Thanks to all for this great thread. I am glad I can add some value.

Ed

To save a lot of time sending lenses back to Leica couldn't Leica provide a kit to carry out the coding by the owners of lenses? The kit would comprise of a template to lock into position on the lens flange and suitable markers to create the code. I do not think that this would be expensive and it would be another way for Leica to support their loyal customers.

My first posting in this forum. Best wishes to all.

Barmul.

Now _there's_ a good idea. I don't see why Leica can't do just that!

- Vikas

Vikas,

Just go to the Popflash website (http://www.popflash.com), then use the Find A Product "Choose a brand" - Leica and "Choose at category" - Lenses. Hit Search and you get a list of nine pages with all Leica lenses. Click on the link to any of the 6-bit coded lenses and you get a page with the photos. This is all a mute point, since the coding patterns have already been listed elsewhere in this thread.

Cheers,

Stan

Carsten, you should feel free to post my template to your site with the codes, along with the instructions.

Just to be clear, I'm dedicating the template image (which I generated using Photoshop) to the public domain using the Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication (which basically means you can do anything you want with it).

Done. Thanks a million.

Mark Norton had a good insight w.r.t. the sequence of the missing lenses. I will see if I can figure it out soon, and modify the table.

Not so strange if you shoot in Seattle's rain. I looked at the seam between the top-plate and the back, and thought it was a perfect place for water to build up and sneak it's way into my new investment.

_mike

Mike,

Have you considered using an Abrahamsson softie to prevent water from seeping down through the cable release as well?

Cheers,

Stan