Christmas gift from Leica?

epand56

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bkk, I'm still going on taking pictures, almost every day and maybe several times a day (according with doctor's advice :D).

Nevertheless I'd love to know that Saint-Leica is still thinking of me and the other sons of a lesser god users as if we were still alive. That's all.

I'm aleady being kicked in the ass by Apple for not having upgraded to Intel, should Leica AG behave the same, this would bore me quite a lot :cool:.

of course! but that's just business..

i'm with you..i want and EXPECT to receive a firmware update/s other than just lens updates and i refuse to accept lack of memory as an excuse!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who's M8 continued to work just as well after 09/09/09 as it had before. I was starting to think that I was alone. :)

Dear Nicole,

happily enough for all of us there was no 09/09/09 kinda y2k bug!

Besides, nobody please throw stones at me, but I'm pretty happy with my M8 the way she is.

Noise is not an issue. I'm old enough to remember how did my Kodak's Recording 1250 and Tri-X 400 pushed to 800 and developed in Microdol pix looked like and when underexposed M8 files do degenerate all what I do is to turn them into B/W. The same I do if WB isn't appropriate. Most of the time I discover that turning my color files into B/W adds consistency rather than subtracting quality.

Oh, and one of the things I like more of the M8 is how the noise resembles film grain.

My lenses aren't all Leitz, so I don't bother with coding. I've been living all the time without that and I suppose I still can do for the rest of forever or quite.

To be really finicky I'd like that 16-bit DNG option were enabled, but I'm the first one to admit I wouldn't be able to discerning the difference.

Just my 2c.

Bruno

Enrico,

Since when did the M8 become "second class" :)

Besides, I suspect we will eventually see the direct dial wheel exp compensation in a firmware update, and probably also the lens code option now that the cat is out of the bag anyway.

Bo, sorry for being late at this answer. My M8 is so much FIRST Class that I've decided there will be no upgrade to M9 for a long while.

I just wish Leica will still keep a benevolent eye on us M8 users.

I think we do not need too much to be happy, just a little sign from the gods :D

Leica have implied that a firmware update would be forthcoming since at least August, and so I hope that this will not be too much longer in coming. :)

In the meantime.........

Season's greetings to one and all from Nicole.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica have implied that a firmware update would be forthcoming since at least August, and so I hope that this will not be too much longer in coming. :)

In the meantime.........

Season's greetings to one and all from Nicole.

That is supercute!

The only 'Xmas Gift' I am hoping for from Leica is the return of my M8 from the Solms Leica Hospital, have been told that it should arrive back in UK sometime towards the end of this week, then it has to get from the airport to Milton Keynes and then to here, will it make it in time. The last mile is always the longest as they say!

The loaner camera I have is good, but it's not my one, will be great to my own one back.

Can happily wait for any firmware upgrade so long as the camera functions as it should when it get's home, fingers crossed.

What really gets me with the M8 (which i adore) is one of the reasons i bought it in the first place. When leaving photo-academy i thought a Leica would also be a good investment. The M8 seems to be the first camera in a long M-line for which this does not apply. I have this unrealistic feeling of being robbed of 3000 Euro's in 2 years time.

Stupid me. Its me more than the camera. I love it but i would like to overcome this money-thing.

Well its out of my chest.

Harry

What really gets me with the M8 (which i adore) is one of the reasons i bought it in the first place. When leaving photo-academy i thought a Leica would also be a good investment. The M8 seems to be the first camera in a long M-line for which this does not apply. I have this unrealistic feeling of being robbed of 3000 Euro's in 2 years time.

Stupid me. Its me more than the camera. I love it but i would like to overcome this money-thing.

Well its out of my chest.

Harry

Just keep on using it for the next decade. It doesn't fall apart just because it's out of production. I'm really happy with mine. No plans of upgrading.

Cheers

Ivo

Just keep on using it for the next decade. It doesn't fall apart just because it's out of production. I'm really happy with mine. No plans of upgrading.

Cheers

Ivo

I will Ivo.

And really hope that leica will survive in the long run.

And that was another reason for buying the M8 in the first place.

But now i'm doubtfull of buying another Leica again.

In the digital world firmware is all there is to keep up with the enormous paste of new camera's arriving with 'suspicious' extra's.

So i'm with Enrico on this one.

And i do like my M8. I have it both ways.

Harry

Sorry, I find this thread to be unproductive. It appears that most of the leica owners are accomplished individuals, who have achieved something in their lives and who would not tolerate similar treatment from other busynesses. I can not understand why we continue to complain. We expressed our displeasure several month ago. Leica has not responded. It might be the time to move on.

Don't we have enough willpower to dump Leica's equipment and to start using something different.

Would you continue to use this somewhat unreliable, unfinished/crude and outdated ELECTRONIC equipment if not for leica's name? (lenses are a different story)

Leica has no problems charging $5-7k for their camera, promising continue to work on issues that have been not done properly/perpetual upgrade program. Do they keep their promises?

Unfortunately Leica continues to step on the same rake. Look at X1 camera. Where are good jpeg, fast AF, excellent LCD monitor? In one year there will be many cameras with similar sensors/lenses but much better software.

Personally I'm looking and 4/3 system. The cameras are small enough. Olympus's colors are beautiful straight form the camera. JPEGs are as good as RAW files and require practically no postprocessing. Highlights and shadows are nicely compressed. Zuiko digital lenses are first class.

Edited by sbelyaev

Sorry, I find this thread to be unproductive. It appears that most of the leica owners are accomplished individuals, who have achieved something in their lives and who would not tolerate similar treatment from other busynesses. I can not understand why we continue to complain. We expressed our displeasure several month ago. Leica has not responded. It might be the time to move on.

Don't we have enough willpower to dump Leica's equipment and to start using something different.

Would you continue to use this somewhat unreliable, unfinished/crude and outdated ELECTRONIC equipment if not for leica's name? (lenses are a different story)

Leica has no problems charging $5-7k for their camera, promising continue to work on issues that have been not done properly/perpetual upgrade program. Do they keep their promises?

Unfortunately Leica continues to step on the same rake. Look at X1 camera. Where are good jpeg, fast AF, excellent LCD monitor? In one year there will be many cameras with similar sensors/lenses but much better software.

Personally I'm looking and 4/3 system. The cameras are small enough. Olympus's colors are beautiful straight form the camera. JPEGs are as good as RAW files and require practically no postprocessing. Highlights and shadows are nicely compressed. Zuiko digital lenses are first class.

I think thats a complaint also.

You just did make another choice and thats your full right.

I do believe Leica deserves her place in this cameraworld. I must admit that i have to move on, and thats with my M8.

Harry

Bless you. You seem somewhat disgruntled. Leica gave their customers an excellent digital rangefinder, and now a somewhat better one, a good point-and-shoot and a super-DSLR are in the pipeline. I cannot follow your complaints, despite "having achieved something in my life" as you put it so quaintly.

Edited by jaapv

Don't suppose you have a 50 'lux you'll be selling? That's all I want for Christmas!:p