How To Identify The 35mm Summicron Mark IV

johnbuckley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have found for sale pre-ASPH 35mm Summicrons on various websites, but I'm not sure how to identify which is that particular lens. Were they made in Canada or Germany? Are there any identifying characteristics, including specific serial numbers? Any helpful advice in being to identify this particular lens would be appreciated. Thank you. JB

1) Made in both Canada (1980 to around 1988) and Germany (Around 1988 until replaced by the ASPH in the late 1990's). The transfer of manufacturing from Midland to Solms clouds the issue.

2) serial numbers will give you a clue as to country of origin - but only roughly. From the examples I found, looks like the change occured between 345xxxx and 348xxxx and that may still be misleading - but well before 340 and well after 348 should be either C or G.

2a) Some Canadian lenses have the serial number hidden on the bottom back rim of the aperture ring because the front ring gets filled up by the words "Leitz Canada". Late Canadian and Solms versions that just say Leitz or Leica have the SN on the front ring, along with "E39" for the filter size. 1990's German lenses have the more angular modern Leica engraving font.

3) v. 4 has a distinctive crescent-shaped aperture ring - the missing part of the crescent being where the aperture numbers are. It also has a distinct flange around the edge for grip. (v. 1 and 3 have compact rings more like the ASPH, v. 2 has a little square semaphore tab for setting aperture).

See attached: Top row, versions 1, 2, and 3. Bottom row, Canadian v.4 and German v.4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by adan
  • Like 3

Code # 11310, 1979-1998, made in Canada & Germany (see Andan's post above), E39 filters, hood # 12504, with convex or concave focus tab, the diameter of the aperture ring is significantly larger than that of the barrel.

4080625317_e8a32b7963_o.jpg

Edited by lct

My ver 4 has two 3/16" cutouts on the perimeter that accept the notches of the rectangular lens shade. This keeps it square and non rotational. All other versions had round shades which will work on ver 4.

You can barely see them under the end of the serial, lower right sample picture.

Edited by tobey bilek