Sign in to follow this  
gpleica

Framing issues with the M9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just received my M9 from Ken Hansen (NYC) and I have a question I hope someone can answer. I use a 28mm as my "standard" lens, the Elmarit, and the framelines in the viewfinder are substantially off pretty much at all distances - you get a lot more than you think you've framed. Is this a case of Leica thinking it's better to give you more than less? I like to frame things really tight and it's disappointing to see all the extra stuff in the pictures. Is there any solution to this problem?

Read the manual - and about 742 threads in this forum. Yes- that is normal for any rangefinder system. The solution is to gain experience, you will be able to compensate for the phenomen with time. At infinity and an 28 mm lens the framing is about 10% narrow, at one meter the lines are accurate.

Edited by jaapv

The framelines in the M9 are supposed to be precise only at a distance of 1 m .

For any distance exceeding 1 m you will definitely capture more than what you see inside the frame.

You should take this into account , in particular in the range 1 to 2 m or so where it is more visible, but then you have enough pixel to crop in PP if necessary.

Other then the above I'm not aware of any workaround.

Cheers,

Ario

The framelines in the M9 are supposed to be precise only at a distance of 1 m .

For any distance exceeding 1 m you will definitely capture more than what you see inside the frame.

You should take this into account , in particular in the range 1 to 2 m or so where it is more visible, but then you have enough pixel to crop in PP if necessary.

Other then the above I'm not aware of any workaround.

Cheers,

Ario

I would sooner be able to crop a little rather than not having something on the edge of the frame. It's never easy to invent the missing parts in P'Shop.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By ashley12234
      Hey everyone, 
      I just got my m2 off ebay and had a look through the viewfinder only to see 2 main very noticeable spots. I attached a picture and the one on the lower left looks much dimmer and looks like a dot and a hair almost? It's kind of light greyish and I think it's a particle or dust but I'm not quite sure. However, in the middle the speck seems much darker (basically black) and more prominent. Could this be separation or is it another speckle of dust (imo it doesn't seem like one). If this has happened to you or you know what it is, any input on how to fix or your thoughts would would be greatly appreciated! 
      Also the shutter curtain on the front seems a little pushed forward and I can see the whole seam on it, is that normal? The curtain works 100% fine but I'm not sure if Im supposed to see the whole seam and overlap of the two curtains. On the back it stays slightly open by 1mm or so (didn't include a pic sorry)... should it cause a light leak? The camera was also recently CLA'd.
      Lastly, the viewfinder has some "gold specks" which I think is separation, but I hope i'm wrong.  
      Please help if you can clarify, recommend a fix, or give any thoughts on ^^. Overall the camera seems amazing and none of the things I mentioned has really bothered me, but if I can learn more about them then it would be great.
      Thanks in advance, 
      Ashley

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By alexbarspb
      Hello
      the help of experts is necessary !
      I want to buy  the Leica X type 113 camera , but original electronic Leica viewfinders are really  expensive.
      Also it is impossible to use analogs from Olympus like for X1 and X2 models.
      Anyone knows  is it possible to use on this camera some kind of old types of optical  viewfinders for example the 36 mm from Voigtlander or Leica?
      Waiting for answers .
      Alexander
    • By frame-it
      is this a collapsible viewfinder ? does it have a Code name ?

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By ArneNorris
      I'm planning to get a 28mm Summicron for my M-A. Of course the camera's viewfinder has frame lines for 28, but the lines are a little difficult to see at times if the hood is being used. 
      I'm thinking of adding a brightline finder for quick shooting. The older 28mm Leica finders are difficult to find in good shape. The Zeiss 25 28 finders are optically great, but can be fragile.
      So the other option I'm considering is the current Leica 21mm Brightline finder with the brass housing. And then to use the frame lines in the finder meant for use on the M8. Given the 1.33 crop factor, my understanding is that these lines should correspond to a 28mm on a full frame camera.
      Any experiences or thoughts?
    • By sebben
      Curious to know if Panasonic has improved the quality of the view finder over the Leica SL.
      More specifically, what bothers me about the SL finder is:
      1. When under exposing the image by more than a stop the blacks become very milky and you can't see much detail in the shadows (Often required to prevent highlight clipping)
      2. It’s not very bright causing difficulties in bright conditions 
      3. Difficult to judge focus unless magnifying the image (I have 20/20 vision)