What B&W film is everyone sing these days?

ptarmigan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I still love Tri-X for the ability to change ASA, 200-1600, throughout a roll and then dunk in Diafine and get results.

I've heard of people doing this and am interested in trying it myself. I shoot Tri-X often, but have never used Diafine. Are there any instructions on how to do this that you could point me to?

I've heard of people doing this and am interested in trying it myself. I shoot Tri-X often, but have never used Diafine. Are there any instructions on how to do this that you could point me to?

See here for example:

Processing Black and White Film for Scanning – Diafine and TX! The Figital Revolution

Lets us hear about your results, I'm thinking about trying this myself... :o

I have been using :

ERA 100

Fomapan 100, 200 & 400

Tri X Pan first rolls since 1987!

Agfapan 400

Ilford Pan F

I develope in R09 and A49.

My 'stash' comprises:

4x35mm ERA 100

2xAgfapan APX400

2x35mm Technical Pan

Bulk length of Pan F part used

Sealed can of 30M Fomapan 200

30M Ilford Surveillance Film 400 P4

I have been scanning negs, although the scans seem to show greater grain levels than there should be, especially in skies. I think this is something called aliasing.

'tis a bit of a pain in the bum. I don't know how grainy I should expect Tri X and Fomapan 400 to appear. I took some shots out of a glider cockpit in July on Foma 400 and they looked atrocious on the scans.

It concerns me somewhat that the Ilford Surveillance Film may not scan well. The printer I used to use for my work gave up on wet printing and processing too. It wasn't worth him chemicalising the machinery.

Since, I don't develop myself, I use fuji provia and it looks great. I get the developer to make a hi res DVD and then pop it in my computer and use Lightroom to convert to black and white.

Did I say I love fuji provia. It is ready in one hour and looks 95% as good as my slide film

I also like Tri-X, but I find that I get film curl with it. For scanning I have found that Delta Pro Plus 400 is really great, esp. souped in DDX. It is a tab film, but it is not like TMax in quality (I don't like TMax). I find it gives you the best of both worlds. The negatives are also slightly firmer, lay completely flat and seem to be less of a dust magnate than Tri-X. And supposedly there is some coating on them that is intended to make the film scan better (but that is just hearsay). I still like Tri-X but I recommend giving the Detla a try too.

See here for example:

Processing Black and White Film for Scanning – Diafine and TX! The Figital Revolution

Lets us hear about your results, I'm thinking about trying this myself... :o

Thanks for the link. I will try some Diafine soon.

Since, I don't develop myself, I use fuji provia and it looks great. I get the developer to make a hi res DVD and then pop it in my computer and use Lightroom to convert to black and white.

Did I say I love fuji provia. It is ready in one hour and looks 95% as good as my slide film

Do you mean to say Fuji Reala? Provia is a slide film. It also happens to be my favorite color film, but since there are no more E-6 labs in my town I don't shoot it much any more. :(

-Mike

How well does Ilford HP5 & XP2 scan?

I have a spool of HP5 in my Leica at present and I have a can of Ilford Surveillance film P4, which is alleged to be HP5 on a different base material. For really good stuff I have inclined towards XP2 in the belief that it gave better results. I don't know if this is a correct belief or not.

I have a spool of HP5 in my Leica at present and I have a can of Ilford Surveillance film P4, which is alleged to be HP5 on a different base material. For really good stuff I have inclined towards XP2 in the belief that it gave better results. I don't know if this is a correct belief or not.

I haven't used HP5 since before some war or other. But XP2...

XP2 is my almost exclusive film. It is sharp and very fine grained, and it prints beautifully and scans equally well. It is at its best (IMO) exposed for 200 ASA. This assures good shadow details and clear unblocked highlights. Look at almost all the B&W pictures I have posted. You might think the subjects and composition are substandard, but it is hard to say that the sharpness and tone scale is not above average. For my pictures, it is all due to XP2.

As much as I enjoy shooting and developing Tri-X, when it's something really important and I want B&W I reach for XP2. Foolproof C-41 processing, fine grain, it scans beautifully, and I can use Digital ICE to ensure a dust and scratch free scan with minimal hassle.

Example of XP2 scanned on a Nikon Coolscan V (MP, 50 'cron). From my daughter's birth last year.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!