50 mm Summitar screwmount with M adaptor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all:

I just purchased a 50 mm f2.0 Summitar in Leica screw mount and will be using it on my Ms with a LTM to M adaptor ring. I just did that. The strange thing is that when I mounted the combo on an M (in fact, a CL, as it was just within immediate reach of my hand), the focus reference mark on the lens mount is about 20 degrees to the left of the vertical position (looking from above), while the aperture reference dot is at 0 degrees (right on top). Strange!

Oh, the LTM to M adaptor ring is a genuine Leitz Wetzlar 50 mm ring.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Guy

It's normal, don't worry.

Thanks, James, I already feel better!

Do all LTM lenses used with the M adaptor ring behave in this way, or only some? My only other LTM lens is a 50 mm f3.5 uncoated Elmar. I just went back to look and it also has the focus reference mark (the infinity symbol) offset be about 20 degrees. Does it vary from lens type or from lens to lens?

I am just beginning to explore the universe of these older lenses, although I must say that I bought my M4.2 in 1977.

Guy

Thanks, James, I already feel better!

Do all LTM lenses used with the M adaptor ring behave in this way, or only some? My only other LTM lens is a 50 mm f3.5 uncoated Elmar. I just went back to look and it also has the focus reference mark (the infinity symbol) offset be about 20 degrees. Does it vary from lens type or from lens to lens?

I am just beginning to explore the universe of these older lenses, although I must say that I bought my M4.2 in 1977.

Guy

On the older lens designs you find the focus marks on the flange and the aperture marks on a ring around the tube. You can see an example of a 5cm Hektor from 1932 here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-collectors-historica/13842-ltm-users-its-time-stand-up-20.html#post1094356

Same on the 5cm-Elmar before the so-called "red-scale" Elmar was introduced (from No. 905 000 in 1951).

On the older lens designs you find the focus marks on the flange and the aperture marks on a ring around the tube. You can see an example of a 5cm Hektor from 1932 here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-collectors-historica/13842-ltm-users-its-time-stand-up-20.html#post1094356

Same on the 5cm-Elmar before the so-called "red-scale" Elmar was introduced (from No. 905 000 in 1951).

Correct. Same for my 1935 Elmar. As soon as I get my DMR back on my R9 (it now is in film mode), I'll post some photos.

Guy

Be aware when you collapse it, Guy... :)... there has just been a discussion about...

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/102865-screwmount-elmar-50mm-m9.html

Grazie, Luigi.

However, the thread does not come to a clear conclusion on whether one can collapse these lenses or not, or on what body. What is your personal decision.

Guy

Grazie, Luigi.

However, the thread does not come to a clear conclusion on whether one can collapse these lenses or not, or on what body. What is your personal decision.

Guy

Given that MINE surely doesn't touch sensitive points... :)... I don't worry to collapse it, with the two golden rules :

- Mount extended, THEN collapse

- NEVER fire the shutter (M8) with the lens collapsed (which obviously is anyway nonsense)

Hello again all:

I am glad to report that both the 1935 50 mm f3.5 Elmar and the 1950 50 mm f2.0 Summitar DO collapse fully into my M3 SS at infinity. Both collapsed lenses clear the shutter curtains and releasing the shutter is safe. Clearly, releasing the shutter with a collapsed lens does not produce a clear photograph, but it does NOT cause any damage as the curtains do clear and move freely. The Elmar comes much closer to the curtains than the Summitar; in fact it ALMOST touches, but does not quite!

I do not have a digital M, so that will have to wait.

Guy

• Like 1

Hello again all:

I am glad to report that both the 1935 50 mm f3.5 Elmar and the 1950 50 mm f2.0 Summitar DO collapse fully into my M3 SS at infinity. Both collapsed lenses clear the shutter curtains and releasing the shutter is safe.....Guy

Yes, such is on film Leicas (but CL and M5 have the meter cell that, cocking the shutter, sprouts out IN FRONT of the curtains); on M8, i noticed that firing the shutter, looking from the front, there seems to be a small mech component that, very quickly appears and disappears at a side, apparently in front of the metal blades: not so clear...a very fast movement... but I wouldn't feel easy with a lens tube so close...