Item Values: SL2 MOT Jahre-50 & R-Elmarit 90mm 2.8

urbantacticz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

First post here and I am looking forward to learning a lot about my new Leica film camera. I shoot Canon DSLR's and this is honestly my first experience with film in general as well as Leica (don't shoot me :D )!

I have a few questions for my first post and would love if some of you guys can clue me in:

1. I was able to snag a Leica SL2 MOT Jahre 50 which was advertised as new in box (from a collector). The box is a little beat up but other than that, its a flawless item. Can you assist me with what this item might be worth?
  2. How many of these SL2 MOT Jahre-50's were made do you think? I can see in the original batch of serial numbers, there were 1020 (approximately) SL2 MOT's but how many were Jahre-50's as well?
  3. I am looking to purchase a R-Elmarit 90mm 2.8 for my first lens from a local seller. The item is used but in excellent condition with no wear on the barrel, aperture ring, or focus ring. I am pretty sure it's one of the newer models because it has the built in hood (the older model did not come with a hood attached right?) What's the average street price for this item? And what would be a "good price" to snag this for to know I got a smoking deal?

Thanks guys, looking forward to shooting some awesome black and white film work!

I was able to get some pictures of the 90mm from the local seller (see attachments). Judging only by the amount of text around the front element of the lens, it looks to be the first version?

He is looking to get $300 for the item, what you guys think?

P.S He lists the lens as #2109380

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

As to the number of SL2mot Jahre 50 anniversary there wasn't many, in fact I wasn't aware that they made any anniversary mot versions - I've been using the mot's for years so it's news to me.

I'd seriously think about having the camera and motor checked before much use as the lubricants may be 'dried', or may need some freshening. It's a great camera and an absolute joy to use. Some may say that if it's brand new/never been used that it may be best for a collectible.

BTW, welcome, learn, and enjoy.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As to the number of SL2mot Jahre 50 anniversary there wasn't many, in fact I wasn't aware that they made any anniversary mot versions - I've been using the mot's for years so it's news to me.

I'd seriously think about having the camera and motor checked before much use as the lubricants may be 'dried', or may need some freshening. It's a great camera and an absolute joy to use. Some may say that if it's brand new/never been used that it may be best for a collectible.

BTW, welcome, learn, and enjoy.

Thanks mooky! I just found out that I do not have a MOT Jahre but just a regular SL2 Jahre 50. There is a such thing as one though:

Leitz: Leicaflex SL2 MOT 50 Jahre (50th Anniversary) Camera Price Guide

If you have not got a copy already, you might consider obtaining the 'Leica Pocket Book 7th Edition' which shows all the cameras and lenses made by Leitz/Leica rom 1924 until c.2000 . Regarding values, the best place to find out is to look at dealers' used stock listings and Ebay. And check out "Leica Collectors and Historica" section of this forum.

dunk

Thanks everyone for the information! I will definately check out the guide and the lens on Sunday. I'll try to remember to post pictures of the items on here once I recieve everything.

SL2 is supposed to be here on Tuesday. Can't wait to start shooting some b&w film!

Anyone else think it's "weird" to go backwards from shooting digital to film? My first SLR was a DSLR in 2002 and I am now on my 3rd Canon DSLR :)

I love the way black and white film looks!

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else think it's "weird" to go backwards from shooting digital to film? My first SLR was a DSLR in 2002 and I am now on my 3rd Canon DSLR :)

Not at all! I tried digital once because of work but was very dissatisfied with everything about it. I then upgraded back to film and everything is fine now. Many others have as well.