Sign in to follow this  
MPJMP

How Do You Carry Your D-Lux 4?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just got one of these last Friday. I'm having a difficult time figuring out the best way to cart it around with me. It's slightly too big to fit in my pocket, yet not quite substantial enough to warrant slinging around my neck with the included neck strap. I have the brown leather case on order, but I'm not sure if I would really use the thing.

So, how do you choose to carry your D-Lux 4?

Neck strap or half case?

Wrist strap and a large coat pocket?

Belt pouch?

What works best for you?

Thanks,

Mike

FWIW, I got a Kata DP415 bag that´s great. It swallows the D-Lux 4 with attached original grip, plus a spare battery and card. I wear it as a belt pouch, but it comes with a detachable shoulder strap (hardly ever use it). Well padded and quite rugged.

For the camera itself, I use a small wrist strap, the type that comes with, say, the Canon Ixus series. I´ve added a small plastic "bead" that slips over the double strap loop and can then be adjusted so the strap can´t slip over your hand. Works well, cheap, and is easily tucked into that Kata bag. At times I just carry the camera in a jacket pocket for even more "quick-draw" potential.

I also own the Panasonic adapter tube for use when I feel the lens assembly needs some extra protection, but then it won´t go into the Kata.... You cannot have it both ways...

I use one of these:

Lowepro - Terraclime 30

It can be carried on your shoulder or around your neck or, it has a belt loop on the back.

I have a hand grip on my D-Lux 4 plus a wrist strap and all of that still fits in the case. In addition it will carry some spare SD cards but not much else.

My D-Lux 4 sits in the brown leather casing (the cool looking Leica one).

If i am out alone it's on my belt

If the kids tag along, the camera and casing goes into a (manly) shoulder tote - one of those small 12x4x15" jobbies that help reduce plastic bag usage

If the wife is along, i try to slip it into her purse.

I use the Leica case with the shoulder strap. There's no room for a space SD card or battery, but it's pretty accessible and easy to use. You have to be careful that you don't slide the aspect ratio switch when you put it back in the case though.

Most of the time i carry mine in a Lowepro Apex 60AW though small still manage to store extra battery and memory cards; then there are times when i simply keep her in my leather fanny pack, less protection but still work even with the viewfinder attached.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I usually carry mine around my neck, very high in fact, but not with a large neckstrap, with a short heavy "shoelace" that doesn't get in the way. Often wrap that around my wrist if I'm actively street shooting as I use the grip all the time along with the filter tube. Have a finder on 99% of the time too.

When travelling often have another camera or two in a military bag on my shoulder which I like as they're inexpensive, tough and unobtrusive; a grey Canadian one is a current favorite which toted a 6x6 Flexaret I'd just bought in Prague, a Panasonic FZ7 for infrared and a little used FZ28 for anything else, a guidebook, and extra batteries.

FWIW, I got a Kata DP415 bag that´s great. It swallows the D-Lux 4 with attached original grip, plus a spare battery and card. I wear it as a belt pouch, but it comes with a detachable shoulder strap (hardly ever use it). Well padded and quite rugged.

+1 Got mine at my local store when a Kata rep was present...she sold it to me for $15. I also put it on my belt. When shooting, however, I just carry camera in my hand (camera grip required) and walk around with it. I tried a wrist strap, but just not to my liking, having hand held Leica Ms for decades.

Jeff

I usually carry mine around my neck, very high in fact, but not with a large neckstrap, with a short heavy "shoelace" that doesn't get in the way. Often wrap that around my wrist if I'm actively street shooting as I use the grip all the time along with the filter tube. Have a finder on 99% of the time too.

grip + filter tube + finder + shoelace neckstrap = gotta see a pic of this rig!

I keep mine on my belt with Zing Designs | MPE Medium Camera/Electronics Belt Bag | 571-221.

A little snug, but it holds camera with grip. And it's a little deep, so I put the finder in its bag in the bottom of the pouch for convenience.

I find I'm quicker with a hook-and-loop fastener like this than with a zipper.

And I use a Gordy wrist strap (gordy's camera straps).

I just got my dlux4 last week & the dlux 3 cordura case this week... I like this case much better than the brown leather one that I had on my old dlux3.

More casual, lots of room, even a little pocket to hold a card. You can use the strap or as a belt loop. I felt this case was much more comfortable on my belt than the leather one.

Also much cheaper.

The leather one seems like it would be nice for dressy events.

Btw I just ordered a luigi half case... Black with built in hand grip and red stitching... And ss screw mount... Excited!!!

My Leica M3 hard case handles the Dlux4, Leica hand grip, 24 mm viewfinder, lensmate adapter, additional filter in place and lens cap. With the case snapped shut, the camera etc. are very secure. You have to be careful on opeing the case, however, as the camera is not attached to the tripod screw as an M3 wound be. If that doesn't appeal, there are a number of small-ish belt cases big enough to handle the same assembly.

With all of the accessories off, it is a jacket-pocketable camera easily. PS. After trying various wrist and neck straps, I have settled on the Dlux4 supplied neckstrap.

I have mine in a small OP/TECH USA neoprene pouch. I'm pretty sure it is the WB-small one. It is a snug fit and doesn't fit anything else. I have a wrist strap on the camera that dangles out of the opening end of the pouch. This set-up has kept the camera safe (and the D-lux2 predecessor) over the past five years and on our annual self-supported bicycle tours. On the bike, it simply gets nestled into one of the front panniers. Since the package is so small and the neoprene feels good in the hand, I walk with it in my hand, but can easily slip it into a pocket when I need my hands free.

After four days with the D-Lux 4 I decided that it is simply not for me and returned it to the store today. I'm going to continue shooting my 35mm MP for now and will use the money I got back on the DL4 to save for a used M8/8.2.

But this is an interesting and useful thread, nonetheless, and I encourage folks to keep it going. If I don't benefit from the responses surely someone else with a DL4 will.

-Mike

I use the DL4 black case on my belt. The latch seems to be secure as in it never opened up unexpectedly. I have used a length of black upholstry thread to make a back up attachment cord for the wrist strap.

Just open the cover, intertwine your fingers in the wrist strap and give the strap a bit of a smooth nudge upwards, gently accelerate the camera out with your other hand on the lens barrel, pop off the lens hood, let the attached string take care of the hood, all the while remember to turn it on, compose the shot and the capture is complete before most know what is going on. A very slick machine.

I also have to admit as per, our fellow member azman, the good wife will carry it, at least I try to get her to with some success, from time to time.

I bought one of the cheap copies of the leather case from 'that auction site', cut off the flap and it sits on my belt like a holster for the DL4. My DL4 has never fallen out of the case and is quite secure.

Withdrawing the DL4 for use is fast and slick as my right hand cups the protruding lens mount during an upward movement of my hand in much the same way as the nice Mr Wayne might draw his Colt 45.

I also use the Ricoh LC-1 lens cap, which doesn't need to be removed (and lost) to be ready to shoot. With the modified case and the Ricoh cap it's 2 to 3 seconds from seeing a potential shot to pressing the shutter release button.

Pete.

leather case (the leica fancy one) for out at night at bars and all. when out street shooting with the handgrip attached, i wear around my neck fairly high.