Who wants Leica to put a 920K screen on the X1?

robofc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since the X1 is a fixed lens camera it should have a built in viewfinder for 36mm. An external viewfinder is an option but it radically increases the bulk of the camera and there is no case to accommodate the viewfinder mounted on the camera. There is an accesory pouch, but who wants to mount a viewfinder every time they take a camera out of its case?

Therefore, the screen will be the primary method of composing and should have a screen at least as good as a digital SLR, which only uses the screen for playback. The X1, especially at its premium cost should not have an outdated screen with only 230K, which is half the resolution of the Dlux-4. It should have a 920K screen like many digital SLRs.

You could wish for a 460,000 display as those are available in that size (2.7"), although rarely used (in the Rocoh R8 and GX200). As of now, 921,000 pixel displays are 3" only. But maybe you would accept a bigger camera.

230K on the M9 isn't as bad (though certainly not acceptable given the price) since you use the viewfinder to focus and the LCD mainly to review. With the X1 however you use the LCD to do both so 230K becomes a much more serious limitation. They definitely should go to ~460K but I'm guessing they won't even though it sounds like the camera needs a lot of refining before going into production.

When I tested the X1 at the Paris Photo fair .. the 230K didn't seem a problem to me ... I didn't notice a so bad image on it ... Should be better with 460K or more for sure , right ... However I think I will use the 36mm OVF almost all the time to shoot. Screen only for playback ... (I do this almost with my D-LUX 4 also).