90 Elmarit - R or 90 Summicron - R (for my SL) ??

jimbo035

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Several years ago I had an M6 with a 35mm Summron and a 90mm Elmar - a combination that suited me very well. Intervening years without a Leica of any kind passed by until I could just afford a D-Lux 4. Very pleased with it, but I missed using film so much that I recently bought an SL with a 2-cam 35mm Elmarit. (Replacing that M6 combination is still beyond my means :( )

Tell me frankly is the 2-cam 90mm Summicron vastly superior to its Elmarit counterpart ? There's a £75 difference in price between those (both in very good order) being offerred, and I assume its not a matter of f2.0 vs 2.8 :)

No thats not so, they are both excellent lenses. I would say to the edges the Summicrom comes out cleaner and sharper. But I prefer the colors coming from the Elmarit, they seem to be richer and I am not fond of "hyper-realism" photography..so

I use both, but for my portaits today for instance I am using the 90mm Elmarit/Kodak T64 Ektacrome with some Soft boxes and flash..if I haven't ruined them an they turn out ,I'll post some examples in the People section

Cheers,JRM

I have the 90 Elmarit (2nd version with 4 glass elements) only, so I can answer you only referring to MTF curves. Remember that lens quality is NOT only MTF.

According to them the scale is (increasing order of quality):

- Summicron 1st version,

- Elmarit 1st version (5 glass elements),

- Elmarit 2nd version,

- Summicron 2nd version (the Apo aspherical one).

Fernando.

Wide open the Summicron pre asph (I believe that is the one you are referring to) will not be as crisp as the Elmarit. Then again, that is something some people like about the Summicron, it's well suited for portrait work for example.

The Elmarit in its last version (4 elements) is a classic, very good already wide open and even improving on stopping down. Perfect allround lens.

Andy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Elmarit is a better lens except at F 2.0.

I loaned my 2.8 original to my son and kept the Summicron R as a portrait lens. For sharp, I use the 100 2.8. It is sharper than all for micro detail at any distance, any stop. It makes ugly portraits as a result. Therefore I keep the Summicron R and preaspheric M.

Under 6 feet, the original Elmarit R is the BEST of all the 90 R lenses. Leica sacraficed close performance in the 90 AA , M&R, preaspheric M Summicron and second version of the 90 2.8 Elmarit for other attributes. By soft I mean Japanese lens soft, not soft focus soft. Many will not notice unless they have a comparison.

For any money, the original Elmarit R is a wonderful lens. Buy a nice one and keep it forever. The proper Elpro VII A works well for it. Do not adapt an e55 Elpro 3 as the spacing for the adapter screws things up.

I've used (and have) the 90mm Elmarit in an M mount, that has the same optical formula of the 1984+ lens. And I have a 90mm Summicron in an R mount from the late 1970's. In terms of optical quality, both produce very nice pictures.

Try asking yourself -- How much speed do I need in the lens? And will a very shallow depth of field be advantageous at times (e.g., portraits)? The answer to these questions will point you in the direction you should go.

The first version of the 90mm Elmarit in the R mount is a very good lens too, but it's heavy.

I've used (and have) the 90mm Elmarit in an M mount, that has the same optical formula of the 1984+ lens. And I have a 90mm Summicron in an R mount from the late 1970's. In terms of optical quality, both produce very nice pictures.

Try asking yourself -- How much speed do I need in the lens? And will a very shallow depth of field be advantageous at times (e.g., portraits)? The answer to these questions will point you in the direction you should go.

The first version of the 90mm Elmarit in the R mount is a very good lens too, but it's heavy.

I already decided on the 90mm Elmarit a couple of days ago, and expect to buy one of the first series next week. Incidentally, on Karen Nakamura's website viz Photoethnography.com - Classic Cameras

the weight of this lens is given as 500g (100 more than the first series 35mm Elmarit already on my SL)

The second and third series weighing in at 450g and 520g respectively.

I guess my D-Lux 4 will be relegated to second place once the SL come back from its CLA.