Some M8 advantages

innerimager

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It looks there are two types of camera buyers.those they buy for photography and those they buy them for self recognition,after all that is how was human society ever,there is also the compulsive behavior of buying the latest,me i learn to skip some interval models and focus on the model that obviously offer to my work some serious new benefits,that happen with my small Canons after 20D i bought 30D & 40D which i sold immediately as i notice that were not improving my work but i got 7D with notorious differences.We buy Leica because we want the company to continue,i have almost all Leica models-never dissapointed--.With M8 though is whole different story and surelly is a big keeper next to any other M model that will follow,is totaly a historical camera and an instrument of art creation.

In M8 the Leica spirit lives, is beyond a product is a landmark-the first digital Leica M-will stay in the books and in photographers hands forever.Is a legend -some will say with flaws-but me as i have work so hard to get that image quality with LEICA film M cameras so many years-in the field not in the labs-i'm still thrilled with M8 performance.I'm sure that every next M will be a very exciting instrument-as all Leica cameras are- but will never be the apocalypse of the first one.M8 brought innovations that inspire the photographer and create a warm relation with the camera ,all others will be the next models,hopefuly in the future with some new inspirations and innovations and not just a rewarmed food served in a bigger plate.:rolleyes:

PS.even though i think of myself as an educated ,experience,trained photographer i found M8 is an instrument that forces me to discover more and deeper techniques to take advantage of what the camera has to offer,there is no camera that reads our mind and mood and delivers our desires is technique and the process of the photographer evolution aesthetically and technically.

Edited by Angelos Viskadourakis

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Blog

i found that reading vey much on the topic of this thread and i share it.:D

see link above.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Angelos Viskadourakis

Only advantages I see is the useful fact that you can get more reach with your lenses on an M8 over an M9. A 50mm becomes a 75mm etc.

This is -alas- a non-argument. Firstly (as pointed out above), the crop of your camera does not modify the focal length of your lenses, and secondly the pixel pitch of the M8 and M9 are identical, allowing you to crop an M9 image down by 1.33 and end up with identical images (apart from differences in colour) with identical fields of view. So - the reach is the same.

This is -alas- a non-argument. Firstly (as pointed out above), the crop of your camera does not modify the focal length of your lenses, and secondly the pixel pitch of the M8 and M9 are identical, allowing you to crop an M9 image down by 1.33 and end up with identical images (apart from differences in colour) with identical fields of view. So - the reach is the same.

yeah, but for my old eyes, it's much easier to focus wide open on a larger area if that is what i ultimately want in my photograph (rather than the crop later factor). i know about magnifiers -- i have the 1.25X and am looking at the 1.4X to use with the Noctilux and the 75 Lux. (see next point)

i get irritated by the 1m or .7m close focus limit on the lenses. at least with the crop on the M8, i can get closer to what i am trying to capture (in regards to FOV, not the actual subject).

i am very likely to get an M9 someday (i would really like to see many of these lenses full frame), but the above issues do give me pause.

allowing you to crop an M9 image down by 1.33 and end up with identical images (apart from differences in colour) with identical fields of view. So - the reach is the same.

Yes, that is obvious but the M8 does give you an appropriate frameline for that cropped focal length which is an advantage over the M9.