Help with identifying a Summilux 50

eox

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hopefully an easy query for the experts on this forum: i've just bought a Summilux 50 over the internet, advertised as ASPH but upon receiving the item i noticed that the ASPH engraving was missing from the front design.

Is spotting the difference between the 2 models as easy as ASPH on the front design = aspherical, nothing = pre-ASPH?

I'd like to be sure before contacting the seller and asking for explanation/return in case Leica released/produced an ASPH version without the ASPH writing on the front design.

Are there any other signs/noticeable differences i should check in order to establish whether it's an ASPH or a pre-ASPH?

Cheers

David

It all makes sense :( .. I wouldn't even dream to be so fussy about whether it's a pre-ASPH or an ASPH if it wasn't for the ASPH (premium) price when compared to the older model.

They're both outstanding optics and both guarantee a technical (and emotional) level way beyond my amateur photographer skills.

I will have the last response on thursday when i go to Richard Caplan's .

cheers

Hopefully an easy query for the experts on this forum: i've just bought a Summilux 50 over the internet, advertised as ASPH but upon receiving the item i noticed that the ASPH engraving was missing from the front design.

Is spotting the difference between the 2 models as easy as ASPH on the front design = aspherical, nothing = pre-ASPH?

I'd like to be sure before contacting the seller and asking for explanation/return in case Leica released/produced an ASPH version without the ASPH writing on the front design.

Are there any other signs/noticeable differences i should check in order to establish whether it's an ASPH or a pre-ASPH?

Cheers

David

As far as I remember, the first Summilux 50/1/4 was issued in 1959. It was modified in 1962 starting with # 1844....... and remained more or less unchanged until superseded by the 50/1.4 asph.

I have the second version of the 50/1/4 and like it in spite of a rather soft imaging at foll aperture. The asph. is superior in nearly all aspects except if you want an old look.

The 50/1.4 wit numbers prior to #1844.... are softer etc. than the second version and are, in my personal opinion, not as desirable for picture taking. Collectors may have a different opinion, especially with the chrome versions.

I suggest you check the serial number before making a decision. This is quite apart from the fact that if you were offered an asph. version, that is what you should have received.

Teddy

• 3 weeks later...
As far as I remember, the first Summilux 50/1/4 was issued in 1959. It was modified in 1962 starting with # 1844....... and remained more or less unchanged until superseded by the 50/1.4 asph.

I have the second version of the 50/1/4 and like it in spite of a rather soft imaging at foll aperture. The asph. is superior in nearly all aspects except if you want an old look.

The 50/1.4 wit numbers prior to #1844.... are softer etc. than the second version and are, in my personal opinion, not as desirable for picture taking. Collectors may have a different opinion, especially with the chrome versions.

I suggest you check the serial number before making a decision. This is quite apart from the fact that if you were offered an asph. version, that is what you should have received.

Teddy

Hi,

Is the #1844xxx number an accurate way to demarcate what is V1 or V2? Thanks.

Hi,

Is the #1844xxx number an accurate way to demarcate what is V1 or V2? Thanks.

Absolutely, and the "divide" is right on the round number... 1.844.001 is a V2 Summilux 50; screw mount version are all of the V1, apart (seems) FOUR items made to special order, and the Leica "special screwmount edition" of some years ago (maybe these were aspherical,,, I don't remember)

Absolutely, and the "divide" is right on the round number... 1.844.001 is a V2 Summilux 50; screw mount version are all of the V1, apart (seems) FOUR items made to special order, and the Leica "special screwmount edition" of some years ago (maybe these were aspherical,,, I don't remember)

Hi,

Appreciate the response. I am just a little confused as I have seen supposedly V1 Summilux 50mm (i.e. little shy of the 1.844.001 number) in bayonet mount though.... Could some of these have been "franken lenses" - i.e. some unethical sellers mixed and matched lens parts and passed them off as what they are not? :(

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for this very useful thread.

Any have or know where I can buy a 50mm lux pre asph version II? I am not sure what the average price is either so that would also help. feel free to contact me or pm me if you have one for sell, still learning my way around this forum. Cheers.

Thanks for this very useful thread.

Any have or know where I can buy a 50mm lux pre asph version II? I am not sure what the average price is either so that would also help. feel free to contact me or pm me if you have one for sell, still learning my way around this forum. Cheers.

Not far from N.Y.C. this dealer does have some Summilux 50 for sale : Leica M Mount Lenses Used - Leica -

They are not so easy to find, it seems... and a used Summilux Asph almost impossible.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

...this is a M mount s/n 1 702 0xx made in 1959 also 1st version.

Summilux50-I-vue.jpg

This lens looks just like my recent acquisition: #1 897 XXX. Date lookup puts this at 1961.

Mine has a tiny '13' engraved next to the feet/M marking. I gather this means the lens is actually 51.3 mm. Closest engraved distance is 1m / 3'4"; the actual barrel turns a few degrees beyond this. I've had my Summilux for just four days.