Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'dismantle'.
Found 2 results
Hello to everybody I'm new at the leica forum - up to now my only practical experience with Leicas was my mothers "Leica III", equipped with a simple Elmar 3.5/ 50mm. I did use it at the age of 15 in school ... to take pictures of the girls . - That's how i came into photography. At the age of 17 i changed to Minolta (Leitz was simply too expensive for me), and i never used the Leica III any more. Some days ago, however, i found a Thambar 9 cm 1:2,2 at a local "garage sale". When i saw it, i thought it might be nice as a portrait lens, even though there was some fungus inside. Otherwise the glass was without any damage. I decided to buy it, since it was just about 100$. Now my question: Does anyone here know how to dismantle / clean the Thambar? Before starting the work, i'd like to collect as much information as possible ... Thanks for any help, drawings (eg lens cross-section) and suggestions. Stephan
My Trusty little Leitz 40mm f/2 was suffering from aging grease, Canada Balsam and the internal black paint had begun to become detached also so a repair was needed I also wanted to add a modern focus tap. Since the lens is so cheap I decided to try it out myself. I have a lot of knowledge about AF and MF Nikkor, Cannon Olympus and Vooigtlanders SLR and Leica mount lenses, most parts of the design and build is same same :-) but this tiny Leica has some differences as to how it's put together, first I was very disappointed to find that the front threads part series 5.5 threads is glued to the aperture housing, next I found that the rings that 'normally' have two holes or ridges for lens spanners for tightening the old Leitz lens had one or even none, so had to be taken apart with friction, a rubber tube of the right thickness must be used to reach into some parts of the lens to get it apart, I modified these rings, drilling two holes makes the hole deal a lot easier. Got it all dismantled and sorted out, the two elements with the Canada Balsam issue got a 'cooking' treatment in boiling water to separate the two halves. A drop of Araldite Krystal and the two are inseparable, a coat of mat black paint to finish the job off. Putting everything back together without leaving dust or prints is the worst part... The old gease was cleaned off and the many threaded focus threads lubed with new grease and put back together as marked by disassembly. The new focus tap needed a slight trim to clear the mounting ring and two extra location holes to keep it in alignment a single screw holds it in place. Everything fits within very tight tolerances; position of glass elements, focus threads so it was a joy to work on it. All the parts, note extra holes, the two glass element front center Extra holes for focus tap in focus mount. Focusmount with focus tap. 24 hours wait for the Epoxy to cure and testing today went very well, focus at infinity and all the way to 0.7m is spot on. Lens is now in good service condition and much closer to my heart