Leicaflex Mark 1 and Mark 2
Leicaflex Mark 1 and Mark 2 with 50mm f/2 Summicron-R I lens
- Production era - 1964-1968
- Code no. - 10002
- Description - "The Leicaflex was the first pure single lens reflex camera manufactured by Leitz.
- The Leicaflex has a very clean uncluttered body, it is finished in satin chrome some few examples, numbers unknown, were produced in black paint. The viewfinder incorporates a clear glass screen; a central micro prism ring is used for focusing. The shutter speeds are displayed at the bottom of the viewfinder and the meter indicator is on the right hand side. Correct exposure is obtained by matching needles. A battery indicator is also incorporated. The CdS exposure meter is not “through the lens” but has a separate window located in the pentaprism housing. The shutter speed control is located on the camera top plate, fitted coaxial to the wind on lever. Shutter speeds are from 1 sec to 1/2000 plus B. A new range of lenses was introduced with quick change bayonets. Electronic flash contacts were located on the camera front appropriately marked for expendable and electronic, the latter being at 1/100 sec. Other features were a mirror lock, a fully opening back, a rewind crank and a self timer.
- There are two marks of this camera, Mark I has a “pie” shaped counter, Mark II has a circular frame counter and a meter cut-off switch incorporated in the film advance lever, on the Mark I ever ready case top cover a place was reserved for storing the battery." -jcb
- Designers - Ludwig Leitz, Paul Naumann and Werner Wiessner - US patent filed 26 December 1961.
- Manuals & brochures
- Leicaflex Manual courtesy of Mike Butkus
- On the street - €EU 260 in 2015
- Forum discussion
Leicaflex Serial Numbers
|SN Start||SN End||Product||Year||Batch|
|1080001||1085000||Leica Leicaflex (1-chrom+black)||1964-1965||5000*|
|1115001||1128000||Leica Leicaflex (1-chrom+2-black)||1965||13000|
|1145001||1155000||Leica Leicaflex (1-black+2-chrom)||1966||10000|
|1165001||1173000||Leica Leicaflex (2-black+chrom)||1967||8000|
|1173251||1174700||Leica Leicaflex (2-chrom)||1968||1500|
. * Serial numbers and batch total from Gandy's List
** Serial numbers from Serial Numbers Leica Cameras with computed batch total.
Unmarked SN's match between both lists and Gandy's batch total was used without recalculation.