Large lenses for M8

DWatts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

200mm and 400mm Leitz at the Classic Camera, London. 249L and 799L respectively.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

One example for using a long lens with the M8: macro photography at a distance, likely the strongest feature of the telescope type Telyts (forgot to attach it yesterday, probably more speaking than a lot of words).

Telyt 400/6,8 (at 8), Visoflex2 (with 4x finder from Visoflex3), distance around 2,50 m to sensor (extension tube 14182), free hand (shoulder stock, first type), manual exposure.

One more example: M8 with Telyt 280/4,8 (type2) and Visoflex3, hand held (still without shoulder support and fitting UV/IR cut filter is also missing). The focusing mount of the Telyt was replaced by the Focorapid rapid-focus device, an icredible useful small focusing tube (sadly hard to find). Light was quite dim and shadowy.

With the Focorapid, I use the type2 Telyt280 (all black screw mount), because the type3 Telyt 280 (all black M-mount) isn't compatible with it. In my hands, the type2 Telyt280/4,8 produces low contrast images. For this reason, I have exceptionally raised the contrast in this example image.

• 2 years later...

Black stork in a zoo.

Example photo made with Visoflex2 (and loupe of Visoflex3), M8, head of Telyt 280/4,8 type 3 (modified) in rapid focusing device "Focorapid". For this photo, I combined the Visoflex-M8 with the 1,4x Apo-Extender-R. One additional ring 16469 (in front of extender) set the focusing range from below 3 to ~ 20 meters (without the ring, focus is from 4 meters to infinity).

I used the head of the late Telyt 280/4,8 type3 (helicoid with M-bayonet) since it is optically better (esp. fully opened) than the former types.

The head of the Telyt 280/4,8 type3 is only apparently not compatible with the Focorapid. The head of type3, in fact, can NOT be srewed into the Focorapid adapter 14112 (made for the heads of the Telyts 280/4,8 type1/2, and which is actually a simple, heavy, distance ring). However, all 3 types of the Telyt heads share the same threads (bigger one for Televit adapter, smaller one for Focorapid (adapter)). If you skip the adapter 14112 (anyway a good idea with all Telyt 280/4,8 heads), and slightly (reversibly) modify the head of the Telyt 280/4,8 type3, it can be screwed DIRECTLY into the Focorapid. The Focorapid's focusing mechanism will work much smoother, if the heavy adapter 14112 is avoided!

Edited by Telyt2003
typo
  • Like 1