What was the type of bag that.............

GarethC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a very old version of the Domke 802/803. It is probably 15+ years old. I just wash it when it gets dirty. I bought a padded 3 section divider for it from B&H. I works great like most Domke's do. I can get the M8 and four lens in it If necessary by stacking with foam between them. I will post some photos it anyone is interested.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got a shootsac and it's the best bag I have ever had (and I like most here have a ton of them)

At weddings I have the main bag (stupid big and stuffed with everything) but this allows me to have everything I need to carry around me with and it's totally light and slim plus very well made.

It has six (i think) pouches and is made of a very light weight flexible heavy weight neoprene (I think) I have had my camera with me every day since I got this bag - and that's the point - it's right there when you need it. Ideal for an M8 setup but not for DSLR so much. My suggestion - get one you'll love it

Hi Karen,

It's a little hard to tell from the pictures. Would you describe the bag a little? Does each bag have a flap-over that is removable? Can small items fall out? Some bags look like the bottoms are several inches deep and some look totally flat like an envelope. Are there two different styles? Does it bulge when you have it filled?

Thanks,

Helene

Hi Karen,

It's a little hard to tell from the pictures. Would you describe the bag a little? Does each bag have a flap-over that is removable? Can small items fall out? Some bags look like the bottoms are several inches deep and some look totally flat like an envelope. Are there two different styles? Does it bulge when you have it filled?

Thanks,

Helene

I just used the shootsac for a week of shooting out in Moab Utah. I liked it a lot. There is one flap that is held on with strong velcro and you don't need to use it. There are six compartments. It is very easy for access to lenses to make changes and I could reach in and by feel (as I am not organized enough to always put the lenses back in the same spot) grab the correct lens. The lens are very secure when in the bag. I had body with lens and 5 addditional lenses with me and used the 6th space for wallet and mobile phone.

That being said this in not a bag that I would use as my travel bag when going on a airplane there just isn't the orgainzation and secure storage that you need for that sort of travel. So, like I started, it is superb for going out for some shooting just not as a primary bag.

The compartments on the backside (non flap side) have one snap to make sure they stayed closed (I don't snap them and under the flap (if you keep it on) there are no snaps.

I just used the shootsac for a week of shooting out in Moab Utah. I liked it a lot. There is one flap that is held on with strong velcro and you don't need to use it. There are six compartments. It is very easy for access to lenses to make changes and I could reach in and by feel (as I am not organized enough to always put the lenses back in the same spot) grab the correct lens. The lens are very secure when in the bag. I had body with lens and 5 addditional lenses with me and used the 6th space for wallet and mobile phone.

That being said this in not a bag that I would use as my travel bag when going on a airplane there just isn't the orgainzation and secure storage that you need for that sort of travel. So, like I started, it is superb for going out for some shooting just not as a primary bag.

The compartments on the backside (non flap side) have one snap to make sure they stayed closed (I don't snap them and under the flap (if you keep it on) there are no snaps.

You are right it is not the main carry everything all the time bag - it's as the name implies it really is a shoot sack. It is really comfortable to carry around, slim, does not bulge and can also hold other things like sun glasses, wallets making it really the only thing I need to carry around. If I am on location, I have the luggage bag, which serves one purpose and then when I am shooting and walking around or whatever this is awesome because it's firstly incredibly functional but also has style and does not look like you just walked out of Afghanistan. The flap is removable and if you want you can buy additional more interesting designs (actually their having a sale on those right now and I bought two more) I think the replacement flaps might be too much of a challange for the masculinity of some of the forum members tho. Anyway we all have different and often multiple needs. This has finally solved one.; I carry my m8 with 3 lenses + additional batteries and cards as well as all the additional stuff a person carries around.

I just wrote up a little packing preference of mine. I'm using the Zing pouches (very minimal padding) I mentioned earlier, either in my shoulder bag or backpack.

I love shoulder bags, but they are absolutely the worst when it comes to comfort and health and practicality, though I occasionally use them.

Read more.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Got the shootsac too for myself. Like it very much and it does perform much like previous posters have mentioned.

The only problem I have is with small wide angles. I work without the rear lens caps and the fit is such that you are likely to have contact between the rear lens elements and the sides of the shootsac. With the standard and teles, the rear elements are much deeper, it is a non issue for me.

I am not comfortable using it with my 70-200 f2.8 tucked in the recommended rear pouch but with my M8s it is very nice bag indeed. Discrete and beautiful to use.

My setup,

front pouches under the flap, 75mm f2.5 CV, M8 with 28mmf3.5, 135 mm f4.0

back pouches ; 50mm, cards and batteries and misc, WATE

on the hip with a thinktank chimp cage is 2nd M8 body with 90f2.8 with flash stored separately.

The Chimp Cage makes switching between wide and tele relatively quick. I am still very new to the rangefinders and this setup makes it much easier for me to react quickly.

I agree with the crumpler bag which is great for the price.

I finally went with the Penn's pad and pencil bag from A&A as a light travel bag to put inside carry on luggage. Yeah it's expensive, but I rationalize it as so it my kit. I don't much use bags when I am on a shoot as by then I have the M8 handing from my shoulder or hand and one or two lenses in my pockets or a belt pouch from crumpler. So the Penn bag is good for my carrying the M8, a 28, a WATE, a 75, and a 35 1.4 plus flash, WATE finder and a rarely needed sensor cleaner, plus multiple extra batteries and memory cards. I like that there is no wasted space above the M8. The zipper is plastic so it doesn't scratch equipment. I dislike flaps, although I guess they might provide more rain protection, but it has not been an issue. As you can see from the photo, I don't set all the lenses up for easy grabs, as I have them stacked up for travel. But when the M8 is removed I can move the lenses around to get to them easier if I need to. I like the red interior as it insures that black colored items don't get lost. I removed the second red divider as it was taking up too much room.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest jimmy pro
I have a very old version of the Domke 802/803. It is probably 15+ years old. I just wash it when it gets dirty. I bought a padded 3 section divider for it from B&H. I works great like most Domke's do. I can get the M8 and four lens in it If necessary by stacking with foam between them. I will post some photos it anyone is interested.

Ya, Jim Domke was a crack newspaper photog who got sick and tired of bags made by fashion designers for weekend amatures more interested in fancy leather trimming than usefulness.

Do people who have the shoosac think its big enough for a M8 with 3 lenses and a Xpan?

How well does it protect you against pickpocketing?

How would people answer these questions for any of the other bags.

The reason I am asking that I look for a bag for travelling. Not neccesarily one to keep my equipment well protected on the plan, but one to carry it a around during the day.

Thanks.

Guest jimmy pro

Did anyone else notice that the Shootsac is only marketed to women photogs? Ya, shure, we've all got to be PC and all that crap, but even the maker puts it right out there it's a camera bag disguised as a purse.

Do people who have the shoosac think its big enough for a M8 with 3 lenses and a Xpan?

The reason I am asking that I look for a bag for travelling. Not neccesarily one to keep my equipment well protected on the plan, but one to carry it a around during the day.

Thanks.

I never really tried to put a body with a lens in the sac. I would assume if you wanted to do this it would need to be a compact lens. Something like a small 35mm would work. Because of the neoprene the bag curves with your body and stays quite close. The strap is adjustable and can go across the body making it even more secure. There are spots in the bag under the flap where a wallet and passport and phone would be secure.

For the poster that said this bag is only marketed to women, I can see them liking the fabric covers more than men but the black standard flap is not feminine.

Thanks.

It is good for the M8 and three lenses but not with the Xpan. The Xpan with lens would be a little too big to work smoothly with the M8, too awkward. The M8 with a 28mm f3.5 slips in very smoothly. With the 50mm f2.0 not so good. I think it is a good choice for travel because it is discrete in genteel surroundings. Different sort of discrete look of a Domke which is great in the battered looks department.

I'm curious too about the shootsac. Can you fit an M8 with a 75 summicron attached to the bag? Looks like it would be a tight fit but hard to tell from the website pics.

Worked with the CV 75mm f2.5 but a little awkward and needs two hands. I worked with the shootsac only in changing lenses and when the camera go into the bag, its with the smallest lens (the CV28f3.5).

Guest jimmy pro

For the poster that said this bag is only marketed to women, I can see them liking the fabric covers more than men but the black standard flap is not feminine.

All the pictures on the maker's website show it being used by a woman including the plain black one. I didn't say it was feminine, just that it's marketed to women as being a solution to carrying a "masculine" camera bag.

I use the A&A Oskar and love it. I carry an M8, 75 Summarit, 135 Tele Elmarit, 35 'cron, and CV 15, and occassionally a Nocti. Sometimes when traveling for business I take out the insert and if fits in the front section of my leather Tumi briefcase.

I carry an Eagle Creek bag.

They are both innocuous and inexpensive. I carry the M8, 3 lenses (you need to provide some cushioning, 3 extra batteries, Whi-Bal card, buncha SD cards, ImageMate card reader, 15mm finder, 2 HSHS adapters, and a marking pen.

You can see their stuff at:

Eagle Creek Bags & Luggage

The particular bag I use (not in production at this time) has both shoulder and waist straps, and adequate padding. Did I say inexpensive?