Stacking 2x APO extenders?

farnz

What would be the sense in my spending money to buy a new longer lens when I already have a 100/2.8 APO-Macro and two 2x APO extenders that will achieve the same objective?

'Same objective' needs to be qualified. If focal length and working distance are all that matter then it certainly would meet the objective. Handling, image quality and ability to focus accurately (due to viewfinder darkening) may not be the same. OTOH if you already have two 2x APO extenders give it a try and tell us how it works out for you.

What I found when stacking the 1.4x and 2x APO extenders with the 280mm f/4 APO is that the focussing ring became much too sensetive to fine-focus and the out-of-focus image was so blurred that I couldn't tell if the lens was pointed toward the subject.

• Like 1

What would be the sense in my spending money to buy a new longer lens when I already have a 100/2.8 APO-Macro and two 2x APO extenders that will achieve the same objective?

Pete.

The APO doubles are not cheap, and the loss of light is substantial given that you have to stop down a couple of stops anyway. It really does not make a lot of sense to do this.

Edited by Larcomb

The APO doubles are not cheap, and the loss of light is substantial given that you have to stop down a couple of stops anyway. It really does not make a lot of sense to do this.

Why not? He already has the equipment. So, it's a matter of trying out if additional equipment is warranted in the OP's mind.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why not? He already has the equipment. So, it's a matter of trying out if additional equipment is warranted in the OP's mind.

The question was brought up and the answers are given. There are several good reasons that the results will be inferior to using a longer lens.

Each doubles loses 2 stops, so 4 stops would be lost, and the lens should be stopped down at least 2 stops to begin with, so thats 6 stops.

Larcomb,

In actual fact I managed to find a second APO 2x extender very cheaply, which is what prompted my original question. In answer to my original question it sounds like you haven't tried it but you think it would degrade the image unacceptably. Thank you for kindly giving your opinion.

Pete.

Larcomb,

In actual fact I managed to find a second APO 2x extender very cheaply, which is what prompted my original question. In answer to my original question it sounds like you haven't tried it but you think it would degrade the image unacceptably. Thank you for kindly giving your opinion.

Pete.

You will get better overall results with a longer lens.

So, I quickly coupled together the following pieces: NEX-7 + E-R Adapter + APO-Extender-R 2x + 14127 + 16464 + Tele-Elmar 1:4/135 lens head,

displayed at the bottom and compared it with: M9 + Visoflex III + Televit + Telyt-V 1:5.6/400, displayed at the top of the next image.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This shot was taken with NEX-7 + E-R Adapter + APO-Extender-R 2x + 14127 + 16464 + Tele-Elmar 1:4/135 lens head, 100% crop

This one with M9 + Visoflex III + Televit + Telyt-V 1:5.6/400, 100% crop

The light was better in the last picture.

My take: Different advantages and disadvantages for both systems - but certainly good enough to get started with a project.

• Like 3

This one is better focused, NEX-7 + Telyt-V 1:5.6/560

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Hello Everybody,

1 advantage of a Bellows II or a Bellows R w/ a detached lens head is that along w/ the focussing bellows comes a focussing RACK. A relatively small, compact, versatile package.

Because the distances involved preclude either of the above w/ the 100/2.8 perhaps a focussing rack like a Novoflex Castel-Cross might help.

It is often easier to pick a plane of focus when that plane is wafer thin if you: Move everything together rather than try to individually change focus, adjust & recompose all @ the same time.

It would also give you a more secure way to attach the entire rigamarole to a tripod.

It is not unusual to use more than 1 tripod/support when doing long distance or closeup photography for reduction of vibrations, etc within a system even if additional support is not needed to mechanically hold the set-up.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht