Viso Lens Adapter

Washington

Advertisement (gone after registration)

May I ask you a question? If adapted like this to your Nikon:

Can you focus (clearly) past infinity with your Telyt 200/4 (and/or Telyt 400...) ?

I have my 200 and 280 mm Telyts adjusted so that they are spot on at ∞.

There was a thread on this forum some time ago in which Robert_M explained why this was feasible.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/171396-telyt-az-adjustment.html

The 400/5.6 and 560/5.6 Telyts with Televit have a minimum and maximum knob so that ∞ can be set precisely with the D3 and focus confirmation.

K-H.

Edited by k-hawinkler

Yup, no problem.

All that requires is that the distance from the lens to the sensor is the same for, say, M9+Visoflex and D3+Adapter.

And it is. Works fine for my 200, 280, 400, and 560 mm Telyts.

One also gets focus confirmation as well and 11 frames per second upon demand.

Can't do that with the M9.

K-H.

Thank you, K-H.,

I am aware of this, and of the fact that infinity focus can be adjusted with most Telyts.

The reason that I am asking (for my confusion?) is a different one.

If you would agree that the following observations are correct ...

(...)

Aren't you talking about (Cameraquest/Fotodiox) adapters for connecting long lenses with M-bayonet made for the Visoflex 2 or 3 to a Nikon reflex camera bayonet (while retaining the normal focus range) ??

Best regards,

Telyt2003

Thanks Rip,

this is what I understand when looking at your photo in the opening post:

What we see in this photo,

is a Telyt 200/4 lens (with LTM for Visoflex 1),

adapted to the Visoflex2/3's M-bayonet via an OUBIO with tripod socket (please see my above post),

and then adapted to the Nikon reflex camera via the Cameraquest adapter which was discussed above,

don't we? (...)

Telyt2003

... then why "calculating" the thickness of the Cameraquest adapter in the following way?

Rip,

Could you please take a caliper measurement of your Camera Quest adapter?

I am curious what the exact adapter distance is between lens and (D)SLR?

Camera Mount... LTF [mm]

Nikon F Bayonet 46.5 mm

Leica M Bayonet 27.8 mm

--------------------------------------

Difference.......... 18.7 mm

What do you measure?

Thanks, K-H.

... and why not calculating the theoretical adapter thickness as follows instead ;):

Leitz M Bayonet for Visoflex2/3: 68,8 mm

Nikon F Bayonet: 46.5 mm

Difference: 22,3 mm

(i.e., calculated thickness of a Visoflex2/3 lens with M bayonet-to-Nikon camera bayonet adapter)

I do not possess any of the adapters made for use of Leitz Visoflex2/3 lenses on a Nikon reflex camera. These calculated 22,3 mm, if compared to the measures given here for the different Visoflex2/3-to-Nikon adapters varying from approx. 17,8 to 18,7 mm, would let me assume that with these adapters a Visoflex2/3-(adapted) lens could be focused considerably past infinity on a Nikon reflex camera body.

Am I confused now?

Best regards,

Telyt2003

BTW, the adapter thickness calculated here ...

Hi RM,

Many thanks for your help. I was seeing all these confusing numbers and couldn't make sense of them. (...)

Camera Mount... Flange focal distance [mm]

Nikon F Bayonet 46.50 mm (...)

Leica M Bayonet 27.80 mm (...)

--------------------------------------

Difference........... 18.70 mm <=== Width of Leica M-AI adapter

(...) Please, correct any errors or typos. Again, thanks for your help.

Best, K-H. (...)

... then would be that of an adapter for using Nikon reflex lenses on a M camera body (and not vice versa). Such an adapter could be of limited use for long distance shots and/or with wide angle lenses (comparable to the use of Leica R lenses on M cameras via adapter 22228).

Edited by Telyt2003

If I include in the measurement the protruding part on the adapter facing the lens ( seen here sticking out to the left Amazon.com: Fotodiox Pro Adatper, Leica Visoflex M Lens to Nikon Camera Mount Adapter for Nikon D1, D2, D3, D3x,D3s, D100, D200, D300, D300s, D700, D40, D40x, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80, D90, D3000, D3100, D5000, D7000: Camera & Photo ) and measure the distance to the flat part on the other side I find exactly 22.30 mm. I hope this helps.

I also have this adapter Fotodiox Professional Photography Supplies and Equipment.

Here I measure from side to side (flat parts only) 18.70 mm.

If I stick the two adapters together I measure an overall width of 41.00 mm.

I am glad this finally got straightened out.

Now it makes sense to me.

Thanks, K-H.

Edited by k-hawinkler

• 2 months later...

I've put an Elmarit 90mm/f2.8 short-mount in Leica adapter 16464....onto a Kodak SLR/n. Works great for hand-held close-up work. Now that I am reading that I could mount a Telyt to the Kodak (Nikon F-mount), my mind is starting to wander.

22302-albums5264-picture8605.jpg

Edited by Fotobug
Goofed up the Elmarit's speed, should be f2.8