Has any one used a "photo vest"

laglaph

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would never use one because of what it looks like. I do sometimes use a small belt pouch (not made for cameras) for film drop or carrying odds and ends, but normally if it does not fit in the Domke 5x, it is not coming. Cargo pants can be handy for film, lens caps etc, but thats about it - I dont like things banging about loose in there.

Using what I use, I look like a guy with cameras. Using silly small cameras I look like an amateur. Pop on the vest and I would look like a pro doing a story carrying lots of expensive kit (he must cos he looks serious). I dont want to get mugged or attract people to the 'foreign journalist over there.'

Actually, that is rather a handy website for us non native English speakers :D

I used to be a native English speaker & I've never heard the word before. Anyways, I don't like photo vests. They always seem like a nice idea in theory that, in practice, just doesn't work for me.

I did pick up a long-sleeve khaki shirt in Hong Kong a while ago that is made for photographers -- two breast pockets plus another pocket on the lower left abdomen that unfolds to allow use of 2 more pockets. Those are perfectly sized for a smallish lens plus 1-2 filters & a lens cap. Great shirt & very comfortable. I've never seen another like it. Combined w/ cargo pants, I'm all set.

But I still seem to have to keep most of my stuff in my Lowepro Nova 4 AW.

I used to be a native English speaker & I've never heard the word before. ...

Mike,

I assume you're referring to "berk" (but not you, Louis. :D).

It used to be in reasonably common usage and, despite its derivation as abbreviated rhyming slang for "Berkshire Hunt", I particularly associate its use to film and television set in gritty northern English surroundings. (Incidentally "Berkshire" is pronounced "Barkshire" but I don't recall anyone being called a "bark".)

I suspect that language in the UK has gradually evolved (or should that be 'devolved? :rolleyes:) and its usage is less common nowadays and probably only common in the north of England.

The usage I recall was normally variations of either: "You great berk!", or "he's a right berk."

Pete.

I wore such a vest (two, actually) briefly when I was in Baghdad in mid-2003. I was not working as a photographer, but it was good for stowing lots of miscellaneous things. The locals seemed to think I was a reporter of some kind and I would sometimes have strangers approach asking questions that I couldn't answer. I suspect that if I had had a camera around my neck they would have assumed "war correspondent" instead of "news correspondent." So, yes, they can make you stand out in a crowd, sometimes in a way that you don't want.

I got one in a sale at Focus a few years ago - the label says it was made in Mongolia so I suppose its a yacket! Its got so many pockets the maker provided a map of them sewn inside. Its great when I'm on my own, in the back of beyond, but then the only trouble is I have to take it off to read the map of the pockets to find out what's where! Otherwise I don't wear it in town - as already comented on both others, my dear wife told me I look a right berk. I haven't used it for a couple of years - I now carry a small Billingham for the M8 which holds an extra lens, or I put a spare battery and card in my trouser pockets and have the camera in an ER case. Much less obrusive.

Graeme

I have three and simply love them.

During my trips overseas especially in a hot climate they are very handy, not only for photgraphic gear but other things, like carrying water bottles, wallet, mobile, sunglasses etc etc.

I call them Man's hand bags, and because you distribute the weight around your body the items your're

carrying don't feel as heavy.

I don't bother what other people think of them, I wear them because they are very practical.

Cheers.

Vests? So last century:eek:.

These days replaced by belts, harnesses and pouches from the likes of these people Pro Camera Bags, Camera Backpacks, Digital Camera Bags: Think Tank Photo.

Or perhaps these Gitzo SA | le choix des professionels

Certainly not for working incognito though;).

In the past, a vest with many pockets was handy for film and filters and exposure devices, but really all I need is two pockets, for two small lenses, and an extra battery. That can fit in my pants pockets, or a jacket, or a vest that one wears for warmth rather than utility. My old photo vests sit unused with too many small pockets to lose things, except when on an assignment when I need credentials. Then it's a good uniform, but never for street photos.

For an S2, it's back to a bag.

Hmm... My M2 on one side might be just the thing to counterbalance the titanium J-frame and a speedloader.

On a sort of related note, I see frequent talk of "blacking out" or taping over Leica logos/names. Are these folks just frequenting bad neighborhoods, or is there some other reason I haven't fathomed?

• 5 years later...
Has any one any experience of vests designed for photographers such as the Billingham Photovest for M cameras and lenses.

Paul

I've been having one, but just started using it on the last few outings. I never used to use it because it was given to me and I simply put it in the closet and forgot about it. But, as mentioned above, I've begun to use it. I never thought of it as being dorky, just practical, until I read some of these responses. Then again, I'm not one to worry about what others may think of me - far beyond that stage. I only worry about what makes me happy. Forget everyone else! We spend too much time and energy on trying to satisfy other people, even those we don't know. I say if you want to wear a vest, wear it. Life is short, people!

"Have camera will travel"

I do not like utility vests, cargo pants, any of that stuff. For field work I wear high-quality cotton Oxford shirts, either blue or white, and sometimes a tie, black trousers and police boots, and when it seems prudent, a reflective safety vest. Nobody messes with me.

With 35mm if you cannot carry it, you should move to a larger format because the burden is almost the same.

--

Pico - Crabby tonight