Summaron 35mm f2.8 M lens

ryee3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can someone elaborate on this particular lens? I looked on the Leice Wiki and did a search on the Forum. Unfortunately there was not alot out there.

I like to know some of the "particulars" of this f=2.8 lens compared to the other 35mm M lenses that are available.

I think, it wouldn't be fair to exspect this 50 years old lens on the same level as the current 35mm Summarit, let alone the Summicron-asph.

For it's time it was a very good lens, sharp and contrasty though giving a warm image at the same time. It is small and very smooth to handle, perhaps the alloy appearance doesn't have the classical brassy look as the Summicrons from the same time. It is the ideal companion for the M2:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I have one, bought new around 1970, which I use on my M2 and M8. If the new Summarit 35mm f2.5 produces more pleasing images it must be a very, very fine lens indeed.

As far as I can say, the mount of the Summaron and the contemporary Summicron were the same - except for the lens cells, of course. I've had both and so I'm speaking from experience and not simply looking at illustrations in brochures. And as for quality, i'm not sure there's much difference at F2.8 - and I'm sure there's none you can see in your photographs at f5.6.

As a matter of passing interest, I convinced myself I needed a faster 35mm lens and bought a Voigtlander 35/1.7 Nokton, which is indeed a very useful tool, sometimes. But it's not as good as the Summaron at f2.8, and I only use it when I need the extra speed, i.e. rarely..

To anyone wanting to spend wisely and make pictures rather than engaging in mental anguish over the opinions kicked around by theorists and review-readers, I say buy a Summaron and put the money saved over the faster Leica lenses towards travelling to stimulating locations ... shoot and enjoy !

I think, it wouldn't be fair to exspect this 50 years old lens on the same level as the current 35mm Summarit, let alone the Summicron-asph.

For it's time it was a very good lens, sharp and contrasty though giving a warm image at the same time. It is small and very smooth to handle, perhaps the alloy appearance doesn't have the classical brassy look as the Summicrons from the same time. It is the ideal companion for the M2:

[ATTACH]159501[/ATTACH]

Yes, the alloy mount is an important factor... it made it much lighter than the previous 3,5 - 135g vs. 195g (ungoggled versions) - and this makes it appear a someway "cheap" construction, which makes me prefer (as a collectible) the old 3,5... the "solid" appearance of old brass items has a distinctive fascination (21 f4 is the masterpiece in this sense). But in optical terms it's a very good lens, definitely better than the 3,5 ; I agree with Andy : as value for money, can be the best 35 made by old Leitz : I made some simply tests at 4-5,6-8 vs. the first Summicron (the 8-elements) and Summaron shows a better contrast.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

The summaron is a wonderful lens. I have the 2.8 version and it is a great sunny day lens, with modest contrast, good sharpness and a classic look. I have not used mine too much yet, but already like it very much. Nice and small, although with the original hood on it is becomes comparable to most 35mm RF lenses in size.

• Like 1

Going by the MTF curves alone (Puts has them in his Handbook) the 2.8 Summaron was superior to the v.1 (eight element) Summicron at 2.8 and 4, and about equal to it at 5.6. The Summaron was the best buy for anyone who valued his image quality higher than a f:2 speed, and his pocketbook higher than his prestige. The lens was deservedly popular and had a production run from 1958 to 1974. Some 38,000 were made, in all mount versions. Long may it fly.

But if you want a really compact 'taking lens', maybe for a camera later than a M2, try the C/V Skopar Pancake II. Desecration? Barnack & Berek designed the Leica to be a practical camera, and they would have approved.

The old man from the Age of the IIIa

• Like 1

A match made in heaven.

I find I reach for the summaron at least as much as the cron asph.

• Like 1

I bought mine in 1969 and used it for a little over 30 years. It was, and remains my favorite Leica lens, across the entire spectrum. I foolishly sold mine in the 90s to "upgrade". I use the 35mm Summicron ASPH today, and while it is a remarkable lens, I still prefer the old Summaron I sold. I refuse to buy another copy, as I'm enjoying the lenses in my present collection, but as I said, it was my favorite.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Dear friends, recently I purchased a very nice Summaron 35mm F:2,8 serial 2153920. Besides the fact that it are taking beautiful pictures mounted in my Sony NEX 5, I observed that the focus actuator ring behind the lens have a depression in about half of the complete collar turn.

I would like to know it this depression in this collar is original or maybe suffer any kind of modification. The beginning and the ending of this little depression in signalized with the arrows.