Jacob's Photographic opens in Leeds

kenneth

They are on Albion Street and they tell me that they are having a Leica day- I am very exited

Kenneth

Many thanks for this nugget of information!

I think I'm right in saying that there used to be a Jacobs in Leeds (which was an official Leica dealer) but which closed down a few years ago. I'm delighted that they have reopened - especially in these uncertain economic times.

Can you tell us when is the Leica day? Does the fact that they are having such a day imply that they will be a main dealer, and not just compacts and binoculars?

Kenneth

Many thanks for this nugget of information!

I think I'm right in saying that there used to be a Jacobs in Leeds (which was an official Leica dealer) but which closed down a few years ago. I'm delighted that they have reopened - especially in these uncertain economic times.

Can you tell us when is the Leica day? Does the fact that they are having such a day imply that they will be a main dealer, and not just compacts and binoculars?

John I will let you know and yes they are to be a main dealer

Reminds me of the Harry Enfield sketch...

Cue broad Yorkshire accent...

"Sophistication? Don't talk to me about sophistication, I've been to Leeds!"

Seriously, I hope you enjoy the day.

Kernel of truth in every joke/stereotype, isn't there? As the American-born son of a Yorkshireman, I can relate. I grew up in suburban Chicago, and my family moved house on 3 occasions during my childhood, further and further away from the city, as my dad couldn't stand the "hurly burly".

I'm likely to make the biennial (or so) trip to Barnsley to see family later this year; may have to head north to the big city and visit this shop.

Jeff.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm likely to make the biennial (or so) trip to Barnsley to see family later this year; may have to head north to the big city and visit this shop.

That reminds me of the line that someone once came out with "What's Las Vegas got that Batley hasn't?".

During a programme on Radio 4 the poet Ian McMillan once compared Barnsley to a Tuscan hill town. I remain unconvinced.

Will Alsop, one of those celeb millionaire architects that never seem to get anything built, had a grand masterplan to turn Barnsley onto a Tuscan hill town.

Incredibly, it never happened.

http://society.guardian.co.uk/pictures/image/0,9731,-10304756937,00.html

Edited by andybarton

Note that I did not compare Barnsley to a Tuscan hill town!

On more than one occasion when a new acquaintance would ask my dad why he left Britain and came to the States, he would say "have you every been to Sheffield?". This was largely a joke --- he came for university, met my mother, and they decided to stay. But another joke with a kernel of truth. Many parts of Yorkshire are quite beautiful (the Dales), but it's (formerly) industrial cities are not too attractive.

Best,

Jeff.

Will Alsop, one of those celeb millionaire architects that never seem to get anything built, had a grand masterplan to turn Barnsley onto a Tuscan hill town.

Incredibly, it never happened.

Barnsley-cum-Tuscany | SocietyGuardian.co.uk

Andy, this will appeal to you I think. Years ago I was talking to an old lass at the head of Wharfedale and she told me that she had stopped going to Kettlewell to do her shopping as kettlewell was becoming too crowded

Spoke to the Leeds store manager today and he informed me that thier main Leica store in the north is Manchester. I do think, however that it is a personal thing. The Leeds manager is a birder so his area of interest is bins and scopes. Not surprisingly he says they sell alot of Leica and Carl Zeiss. When I asked if there was any plan to stock Carl Zeiss camera optics and Zeiss Ikon bodies in Leeds he said that there was not the demand

Spoke to the Leeds store manager today and he informed me that thier main Leica store in the north is Manchester.

I've often thought it odd that there are two Leica dealers in Manchester - Jacobs ans Stephens - within about 100 yards of each other. Jesops just around the corner also used to sell Leica gear.

• 2 weeks later...

My first job when leaving school was in a photo dealers at 110 Albion Street Leeds, Beckett Film Services, long gone now, even the building has been re developed (pun)

It was there I first started to drool over Leica products, it took me 8 years to get an M3!

Gerry

My first job when leaving school was in a photo dealers at 110 Albion Street Leeds, Beckett Film Services, long gone now, even the building has been re developed (pun)

It was there I first started to drool over Leica products, it took me 8 years to get an M3!

Gerry

I worked for Beckett Film Services but that was on the Headrow. I guess it was about 1971 as near as I can tell. They were main dealers for all the major brands

I worked for Beckett Film Services but that was on the Headrow. I guess it was about 1971 as near as I can tell. They were main dealers for all the major brands

They moved to the Headrow (into what had been the Electricity Board showroom)when the old shop was redeveloped I think. I was there from 1960 to 1963, and am still in touch with someone I met there, alas he is a Nikon man :(

Gerry