leica m7 shutter problem

batmax

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After the leica meeting in hessenpark i was out to make some street photos in

frankfurt.

After having take some photos the shutter of my m7 was blocked.

I try to fire the shutter but the knob was like i have already take a picture .

In the meantime I can not arm the shutter with the lever because was blocked.

So I try to switch on and of the camera but the problem still there.

I remove the battery and change with new ones.. but again still the problem..

At the end I remove the film rewind it .

After having done all of this "magically" the shutter start to work again...

So, very strange ....Now is working with no problem...

Do you think is a good idea to service the camera???

There someone that had a similar problem like me ??

Ciao !!

• Like 1

Sometimes its operator error.

You can get a bottom corner tear in the film leader cut and it will bung things up.

If you have a film that is not taught it can crinkle at the film gate for the problems you describe.

When you load a new film are you rewinding to tension the film?

There are probably other causes, but if it has only ever happened once I owuld be making sure my loading was good, and seeing if the problem repeats, before worrying too much.

Guest maddoc2003jp

I sometimes have the same problem, switching the camera on and off a couple of times always helped. My speculation is that playing with the advance lever (I have this bad habit) and carrying the camera vertical sometimes blocks the shutter-lock mechanism.

The problem is well known, and sooner or later, generally quite soon, no tricks will help to release the shutter or wind the film. I have had it on both my M7s when they were new, which was five years ago. CS fixed it under guarantee.

There is a similar thread just now in the German section

The problem is well known, and sooner or later, generally quite soon,

any basis for this statement?

DX coding and blinking LEDs might be described as 'well known' as you regularly see them come up in threads. But in the 39 pages of 'film' threads I have never seen this before. In the German thread the 3 or 4 people reporting problems dont even appear to be describing the same symptoms...

I have experienced just about *all* of the problems associated with the DX reader and faulty exposure/DX readings, also further complicated by a malfunctioning circuit board at one point, but have never had a problem as desribed with shutter lock. Nor have I ever read that this is a widely acknowledged problem. My guess is operator error and that the film was 'locked' -- either because of a tear or becuase it was mis-seated on loading and eventually caught between the guide rails and the pressure plate. Making sure that the cassette seats right down in the film chamber prevents this happening.

I cant do that with an MP James, but I used to be able to replicate the OPs problem with an MP untill I twigged it was worth properly tensioning (especially thin and crinkly) films.

I bite tear enough leaders without any trouble at all as long as I am careful, but I did get a tear once.

WRT seating the film can, I reckon that is Leicas problem. If the film can slips in and the base plate goes on then the film can is at the right height. The wind on side height is set by the tulip, you shouldnt have to frig around or go poking in the back. Leica do screw this up with with their service but thats another problem, and only leads to a negative written over the sprocket holes, or the image being slightly diagonal on the neg or both, but shouldnt be jaming.

But like I said mine is with the MP not he M7, there could be something in the electronics but you would reckon a light would be blinking somewhere in the display.

• 1 year later...

As an update, both my M7's were returned to Solm's for optical reader and viewfinder upgrades this spring. Soon after they were returned the shutter locked on one of them. No amount of 'fiddling' with Dave's assistance from Leica NJ would unlock the M7. Dave sent UPS tp pick up the camera and expedited return within a few days. The tech could not duplicate the problem and called to inform me of the results. So far it has not recurred but it does happen on M7's.-Dick

The reading in the M7 display counts down from 32 if you inadvertently open the shutter while the lens cap is on, while in Auto mode.

Clicking the speed dial to 1000 closes the shutter.

...Andy, what happens if you attempt to wind on during the countdown?

When I first got my MP I seem to remember getting a shutter jam. But after rewinding the film the next film was OK. No problems since "touch wood" 6 years. Now when I've finished a film I always cock and fire the shutter a few times so as to get the wind-on back in sync after the final half frame which is never fully wound on but leaves the wind-on mechanism in mid frame position. I don't use the rewind to tension the film as some have reported.

Hopefully if the more you use it the better it will work. Use it more and fire off blank shots when there is no film in to help it get back in sync.

I'd only send it back if it keeps happening and your film comes out uniform neat and untroubled, i.e it is purely Leica mechanical problem and not user error in loading the film correctly.

Lincoln

After the leica meeting in hessenpark i was out to make some street photos in

frankfurt.

After having take some photos the shutter of my m7 was blocked.

I try to fire the shutter but the knob was like i have already take a picture .

In the meantime I can not arm the shutter with the lever because was blocked.

So I try to switch on and of the camera but the problem still there.

I remove the battery and change with new ones.. but again still the problem..

At the end I remove the film rewind it .

After having done all of this "magically" the shutter start to work again...

So, very strange ....Now is working with no problem...

Do you think is a good idea to service the camera???

There someone that had a similar problem like me ??

Ciao !!

Hi

I have got a similar problem with my Leica M7 as well. Today when I pressed down the

shutter after a shot, then sat the quick-wind level to stand-by

position for next shutter but the problem happened. after that I

cannot press down the shutter again. And I checked inside the camera.

I have attached a picture to show the inside view of my M7.

Someone can help me solve this problem? Thanks a lot.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hmm, your shutter is stuck midway (which should not happen). Can you move the wind lever? If so, try to fullyx cock the shutter first. If that doesn't work, try to remove the batteries for some minutes. Also, set the shutter dial to one of the manual times, that is to 1/60 or 1/125 and try to press the shutter release. If all that does not work, it has to go to a repairman.

Andy

Edited by wizard

Hmm, your shutter is stuck midway (which should not happen). Can you move the wind lever? If so, try to fullyx cock the shutter first. If that doesn't work, try to remove the batteries for some minutes. Also, set the shutter dial to one of the manual times, that is to 1/60 or 1/125 and try to press the shutter release. If all that does not work, it has to go to a repairman.

Andy

It seems that It also does not work. Where can I find a good repair place in UK or must go to the Leica service?

Thanks.

Do you have a film in? If so perhaps try and rewind the film. The film might be in tension and have stopped the wind on from completing it's full cycle. If you are mid film take a note of the film number so you can reload the film and take the same number of dark shots of your lens cap + a few more to get past the spot where you finished.

If you don't have a film in I've heard of some brave guys who have giggled the shutter manually to loosen them. A small plastic spoon "might" not do too much damage, "might not".

As there is no shutter gap I'd guess that the shutter curtains have not been pulled all the way across yet. The fact that you didnot show us a shot through the back suggests you do have a film in so hopefully rewinding it might allow you more freedom to fiddle about using the mechanical speeds.

Good luck. If you do free it up fire off 20 -30 shots without a film in to loosen it up again.

Lincoln

• Like 1

• 5 years later...