Hessenpark News: Official - No R10: no FF M9 (yet)

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It may not be good for you but good for him. ;)

Anyways, did he really say that there'll be no camera at all??? :confused:

I have given every word that I have received in this thread - the way I read it is that there is no camera AT ALL

I will see if Carl can ask this question after their dinner. Herr Daniel was very open last year after dinner.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Either that or take Stefan Daniel's statement at face value. No R10 because we won't be calling it that, but something else instead (derived from the S2).

I have asked the question of Carl re "no camera AT ALL"

An butchered Sony camera might be interesting... Guy Mancuso's crowd speak highly of them, so I am lead to believe.

Next text:

"They believe the market for the S system is 10000 units. New noctis will be delivered in larger number from June/July. The technology in the S2 was done in house and is seen as a dev platform for new systems."

Some of this we knew already.

I guess this is their way pushing people like me into the S system ... I'd say they can have 2 years to prove themselves but then, what about competition after 2 years?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Rest of M news coming through (Carl's text was truncated)

"Jenoptik will continue developing the M8 firmware

Leica are NOT interested in u4/3. Not happy with 4/3 at all

No further firmware for the DMR. DMRs are hard to repair - they have no spares, so are using donor units ( we surmised this a couple of months ago, IIRC )

Repairs for R8s and R9s will be possible "for a few more years" while they still have parts, but not for as long as Ms or LTMs"

The Sony/Zeiss relationship might get in the way....

They've just extended their contract for another 5 years so it's a no show for Leica ... my bet is with the adapters or Digilux 4.

Heck, can someone buy Stefan a bottle of Finlandia? it'll be on my tab.

They've just extended their contract for another 5 years so it's a no show for Leica ... my bet is with the adapters or Digilux 4.

Heck, can someone buy Stefan a bottle of Finlandia? it'll be on my tab.

See what was said about 4/3 - no go.

It won't be a Panasonic, Canon or Sony it will be a Leica, derived from the S2, Leica already stated that.

The only interesting thing about the fact that it won't be called R10:

It's no longer part of the R-System, so it's just compatible somehow with R-lenses and propably has a new bayonet (without aperture ring?).

OK, more R stuff...

"There will be NO Leica made digital "R" camera. But an "adequate solution" (hang on - don't panic yet!) for the use of R lenses WILL be coming. That's a guarantee."

The term "adequate" was obviously in German, and Carl believes that this translates into English as "good". Anyone help us out here? Is there a German word which is "adequate" that can be translated as "good"? I will try to get an answer from one of the others who are there.

Stefan Daniel: "There will be no R10 from Leica, but there will be a good solution that allows us to use our R-lenses on a digital body."

Is that German humor, understatement (of the fact that a S2 baby for R AF glass) or simply a factual information that something worse is going to come for the sorry fools using R glass (like a D3.2).

Hard to tell, actually.

The consideration might be that if folks really want to use R glass, let them buy a S2 or perhaps a S2 economy (baby or whatever).

Personally I'm more interested in the S2 than the R10 even I'm a R9/DMR user. So if the market is like that, then why make an R10?

No, my money is on a S2 flagship, a slightly more economical model without the leaf shutter, x-ray viewfinder and wireless espresso, and then a S2 baby in a price range around the Nikon D3.

That would make sense in accumulating interest and buying power into one SLR system instead of two.

It won't be a Panasonic, Canon or Sony it will be a Leica, derived from the S2, Leica already stated that.

The only interesting thing about the fact that it won't be called R10:

It's no longer part of the R-System, so it's just compatible somehow with R-lenses and propably has a new bayonet (without aperture ring?).

That is NOT what has been said by Herr Daniel tonight. They must have changed their minds, because I was convinced that an R10 was coming next year - David Farkas has also stated this only this week.

Something must have happened recently at Solms.

And the next:

"No further upgrades for the M8, they'll keep the current offering, but want to concentrate on new cameras. They are happy with the co-operation with Jenoptik"

Confirms the M8 is a done deal and the upgrade program will not go any further (if you're minded to upgrade your M8, do it soon, IMHO). Much better for them to focus their resources on a new camera.

Interesting too that they don't like u4/3 or 4/3 for that matter.

They found out how to make a two-lens camera where the actual picture is taken by a D-Lux 5 through a viewfinder. That way we can use the DOUBLE NUMBER OF R-LENSES on the same camera.

Now we just need a graphical mock-up of it :D

Next text:

(I think that we should have a whip-round for Carl's roaming charges... :) )

"They are one step closer to a "Full Frame" digital M. But, they are not there yet... the product IS NOT CLOSE

Hint that the R solution, whatever that may be, will be "Full Frame" "

That is NOT what has been said by Herr Daniel tonight. They must have changed their minds, because I was convinced that an R10 was coming next year - David Farkas has also stated this only this week.

My most recent information was based off of an interview with Christian Erhardt for an article I wrote for the current issue of The Viewfinder magazine (LHSA). I'm still of the opinion to wait and see what happens. Might be semantics, might be a change of plan. We'll have to see.

Here is the except from my article:

Leading up to PMA, Leica officially announced the end of the R9 and current R lens production. Some interpreted this to mean the “death of the R.” This is not the case. While the current R system is no longer being produced, the technology and R&D from the S2 will form the foundation for the next R camera and lenses. According to Christian Erhardt, Vice President of Marketing for Leica Camera USA, Leica is still dedicated to developing both the M and R lines. He said that the next R camera, while incorporating many of the advancements from the S2, will also support almost all current manual-focus R lenses, as had been the case with older M lenses when the M8 camera was released in 2006.

David