Very old, very formal - Haakon's hall

cbretteville

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Haakon's hall in Bergen, Norway was built between 1247 and 1261. It was used for coronations and royal weddings in medievel Norway. It was degraded to a storage warehouse in the 16th century after along period of decay and not rediscovered for what it was until 1840. Restauration started in 1880 and in the early 20th century is was restored to it's former glory. Then in 1944 a German amunition ship, docked right next to the building exploded and the hall caught fire. All the wood work was consumed by the flames and only the stone walls remained. It was restaured again after WWII and is a truly beautiful building.

I shot these in April, the only other person in the building was a ticketing lady.

M6, 35mm Summilux-M ASPH, f1.4 at 1/125 sec. Film was Delta 400, souped in Ilfotec DD-X 1+4.

Enjoy,

- Carl

Carl -

The building is a treasure and you've captured it well. The overall shot (#1) is enhanced by the play of the stone details and the bloom through the windows. #2 benefits from the angle.

Stuart

Carl,

all three are shots I would be very pleased to have taken. To my eye, the graininess suits the motif perfectly. I bet they'd look great printed 20x16.

These are nice photographs, Carl, and you have done very well on the tricky job of balancing the daylight coming through the windows against the interior light level. What a shame that the original roof was lost in the fire! However, the restoration looks very good.

John

Thanks for you kind comments. I really like these, the first two in particular. They show how sharp that 35 lux is even wide open.

The biggest I've seen them is A4 as that is the largest print I can do at this time and they look a lot better in 'real life' than on the web.

I measured the light coming off the sope washed wooden floor and it turned out to be a good substitute for my incident meter that I left at home that day. I was on a one day trip to Bergen and anaged to seek in a visit to this place where I hadn't been before.

I'm glad you enjoyed the story as well, it puts things into perspective.

Cheers,

- Carl