I love my MP3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Now the Leicavit MP is here to join the MP3...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

Sorry for showing my ignorance (again). What exactly is an MP3 and how is it different from the MP?

Jimothy,

The MP3 has the window arrangement as the original M3.

The MP is more like the original MP, and M2. look at the surrounds around the windows, compare to the "I love my MP" thread.

Are there any "MP classic" users on the forum? ( modern MPs without the meter) that were for the Japanese market only? How many are out there?

John

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am very happy with my pre- asph lux in bp- brass.

If anyone here would like to swop it for the MP3 version bp- lux, would I...change?

I think not, as I do not like the hood on the asph.- one!

Philip

Leicaoptik: only the lens is missing from the setup...

Nice, Bob. That serial nr. is very close to mine!

I am very happy with my pre- asph lux in bp- brass. If anyone here would like to swop it for the MP3 version bp- lux, would I...change? I think not, as I do not like the hood on the asph.- one!
I use both and I've put 3rd party hoods from heavystar on both lenses. I can't stand the pull-out hood on the pre-ASPH nor the ridiculous hood that came on the LHSA ASPH.

Hi Peter,

which lux do you like more?

When do you use which on?

Are the differences significant?

Is there already brassing on your MP3?

greetings from germany, Philip

Nice, Bob. That serial nr. is very close to mine!I use both and I've put 3rd party hoods from heavystar on both lenses. I can't stand the pull-out hood on the pre-ASPH nor the ridiculous hood that came on the LHSA ASPH.

1) which lux do you like more?

2) When do you use which on?

3) Are the differences significant?

4) Is there already brassing on your MP3?

1) The pre-ASPH.

2) I use the pre-ASPH for people and as a general-purpose 50, and the ASPH for buildings and landscapes and other objects and scenery.

3) Not significant, but the ASPH is sharper across the whole field (at least to my eye) but I wouldn't describe the pre-ASPH as soft. Personally I prefer the look of the older lenses and I keep a set of older lenses alongside the ASPH lenses.

4) I just checked and the only brassing I can discern is on the serrated leading edge of the film winding lever. The MP3 seems to have a better paint job than my MP. This is mine:

MP3+SW-Heliar_15mm.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 years later...

Oh Lord, would you buy me a MP3!?

Fact is, it is like a white face among TLRs.

No, it tops it, it's THE real beauty.

Could have had one during the summer holiday of 2012. It had neither the matching LHSH lens nor the Leicavit. So probably having been sunstroke I thought: "There's a best offer button. Why don't I make one?" After the siesta it was gone.

Oh Lord...

very classic

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

This is my all time favourite Leica. If someone would like to pass theirs on to my loving care, PM me.

Or if anyone knows of an MP3 Black Paint available, please PM me.

:)

Pete

December's the perfect time for finding a very rare camera. Some dealers offer these very special items only during this season. So looking at it this way, it's an opportunity imo.

Also being the first in one's camera club with a A7 is fine, because everybody there will gentlemanly refrain from reminding one about it, two years from now.

My new 2/35A LTM and matching 2/50LTM I got at the end of the summer holiday season and they found some use since then on the IIIg. Yes, it's nice to see the difference between the pictures taken with the latter and the ones taken with the spotless collapsible namessake, that came with the body.

Nice, but not awesome - give me another five years, I'd say.

So, would I buy the new LTM one again? No. (My excuse was, I didn't have a 2/50 before). Would I sell it then? I decline again, for now. Trade it in maybe. (I'll never sell the 2/35A though: that image quality from a camera my age, with the original Leica mount, abandoned more than 50 years ago and so good-looking - that's a keeper combination for me).

All I can say is, that it worries me to accept, that it is beyond denial, that I have become a collector. (Well, well... it's the birth year camera :) !)

But would I buy more than some rolls of film in December??

Why don't I - because I don't look out for high-end collectibles.

Cheers,

Simon

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...