I love my MP3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...kit

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Amado

I own way too much camera gear but the one thing I kick myself for not gettting was a black MP3 when I had the chance. What a beautiful camera, and I'd even use it!

To those that have them, I am jealous :)

Kent

Tony Rose got me the last one available at Leica USA. Because of the strong euro at that time, it was actually cheaper overall than to buy a new normal MP in Europe... :D

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Tony Rose got me the last one available at Leica USA. Because of the strong euro at that time, it was actually cheaper overall than to buy a new normal MP in Europe... :D

Gratulations!!!

This is a beauty, so will U use it normal or only for vitrine?

Do U want to keep the Leicavit also?

Have fun with the black queen,

is her number 3027xxx or 3026xxx?

Greetings to the US, Philip

Philip,

Indeed it is a beauty. But is is also just a camera. I do use it as such. No intention to keep it clean.

I did get it about 2 years ago, but it has been in repair for a full year because of a hole burnt in the shutter curtain (never leave your lens with aperture open and focused at infinity on a terrace table with a setting sun. It only takes a minute to burn a hole)

Leica did all kinds of stuff on top of replacing the curtain: a faulty recalibration of the rangefinder (had to send it back once again), a 6bit coding of the lens (not asked for, but Leica did split up the set and sent the lens to Germany, after which it took them months to find my camera which was still somewhere in the USA, they mixed up the serials) and the repair of the 1/8th shutter speed.

So I actually use it only for a few months now, but it works and feels great.

I have almost forgotten about my bad repair experience (certainly partially due to staff shortage problems related to the M8) and really love the camera.

I have recently been moving, so no darkroom yet, and the Nikon scanners seem to be backordered in Europe...

I think my serial is with 3026xxx (not sure as I am not at home). Why did you ask? Is there a difference between 3026 and 3027 cameras?

Dries

ps: no intention to sell the Leicavit, sorry, I might like it better in the future ;)

Philip,

Indeed it is a beauty. But is is also just a camera. I do use it as such. No intention to keep it clean.

I did get it about 2 years ago, but it has been in repair for a full year because of a hole burnt in the shutter curtain (never leave your lens with aperture open and focused at infinity on a terrace table with a setting sun. It only takes a minute to burn a hole)

Leica did all kinds of stuff on top of replacing the curtain: a faulty recalibration of the rangefinder (had to send it back once again), a 6bit coding of the lens (not asked for, but Leica did split up the set and sent the lens to Germany, after which it took them months to find my camera which was still somewhere in the USA, they mixed up the serials) and the repair of the 1/8th shutter speed.

So I actually use it only for a few months now, but it works and feels great.

I have almost forgotten about my bad repair experience (certainly partially due to staff shortage problems related to the M8) and really love the camera.

I have recently been moving, so no darkroom yet, and the Nikon scanners seem to be backordered in Europe...

I think my serial is with 3026xxx (not sure as I am not at home). Why did you ask? Is there a difference between 3026 and 3027 cameras?

Dries

ps: no intention to sell the Leicavit, sorry, I might like it better in the future ;)

Oh, what a pitty,

I had my one once at Leica to adjust the release button. I went there, visiting die "Erlebnistage".

I do not know a difference in serial- numbers, I am just interested as I did not see one with 302 7xx.

I have a Leicavit, but perhaps I would like to have a LHSA-one , too

greetings Philip

Hi,

it is time to start a thread for MP3- owners.

I love my black beauty- she makes the pleasant for our coming baby much greater!

Where are the other 999 black and silver relatives?

Perhaps we can see some here...

Philip

Here is one of the silver cousins! :D

• Like 4

I just put this image on the 'I love my MP' thread, but this is really its rightful place. I got the body on its own and the leicavit later, so no 50 'lux ASPH.

Out of interest does anyone know if Leica made a chrome pre-ASPH 'lux 50 with the scalloped barrel like the black paint one that went with the M6 Millennium? I think the ASPH lens that comes in the MP-3 set is the same shape which I think is beautiful and suites the MP-3 lines, but I'd prefer a non ASPH version. I could, of course go for an older (1st type) Summilux, but the visual signature of the second design is better (to my eye!) and not quite as crisp and contrasty as the ASPH version. Thanks in advance, I look forward to any thoughts or suggestions.

• Like 3

...Out of interest does anyone know if Leica made a chrome pre-ASPH 'lux 50 with the scalloped barrel like the black paint one that went with the M6 Millennium?...
I don't think thay did. I bought one of the BP ones last week and it seems to be a very nice lens. I currently use a v.2 which I love but I fancy the closest focus of 0.7M and the shorter throw. I'll have to make a choice between them, it makes no sense to have three Summilux's. Personally I like the look of the v.1 but you presumably think it's a bit soft. Mike Dixon on photo.net has created some fantastic work with an old v.1. Nice pic of your new MP3 BTW! :)

I don't think thay did. I bought one of the BP ones last week and it seems to be a very nice lens. I currently use a v.2 which I love but I fancy the closest focus of 0.7M and the shorter throw. I'll have to make a choice between them, it makes no sense to have three Summilux's. Personally I like the look of the v.1 but you presumably think it's a bit soft. Mike Dixon on photo.net has created some fantastic work with an old v.1. Nice pic of your new MP3 BTW! :)

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply, I have a standard black Summilux from the latter part of the 90s (I think - would have to check the serial No. to confirm) and I liked it a lot. Having said that, I then got a Noctilux that ended up 'fixed' to my .85 M6 (mostly shooting it wide open on Delta 3200) and I never use the Summilux now. I do like the gain in manual focussing speed that you get on the 'lux over the noct though and think a chrome one would be ideal for the MP-3. Of course what this goes to show is that I don't mind a little softness (the noct wide open is hardly what you'd call sharp ;) , so maybe a chrome v.1 lux might be the call.

Thanks for referring me to Mike Dixon's gallery, there's some lovely work in there, although some of the (negative) discussion surrounding the picture of the grizzled man at the bar seems unwarranted. To my mind "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

All the best,

Al

P.S. Thanks for the compliment on the MP-3 pic - they are such striking bodies that they immediately tick off the first box with regards to necessary elements in a photograph: interesting or aesthetic subject matter!

Out of interest does anyone know if Leica made a chrome pre-ASPH 'lux 50 with the scalloped barrel like the black paint one that went with the M6 Millennium?.

Leica did make a chrome pre-asph 50mm Summilux with an E43 retro look for the limited edition Traveler set back in the '90's. The barrel isn't scalloped though but still very vintage looking and made of heavy brass.

Leica did make a chrome pre-asph 50mm Summilux with an E43 retro look for the limited edition Traveler set back in the '90's. The barrel isn't scalloped though but still very vintage looking and made of heavy brass.

Thanks Razer, that's an interesting fact, the Traveler 50 looks like the 50 which came before the pre-asph version with the telescopic hood. I can't justify buying a Traveler set as I have many of the constituent parts (good M6s and 50mm lenses - albeit not the 'Traveler' versions) and equally I can't see breaking up a Traveler set just for the 50 anytime soon.

Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

I have seen this M3J on the "Westlicht" page.

Is it not lovely- and close to the MP3?

Greetings, Philip

• Like 1