"Do you know the world ?" -- Competition --

T00m

Perhaps some hints will help. This country is located on the Central American isthmus. It has the Caribbean Sea to the east and the Pacific Ocean to the west. This photo is of it's Pacific coast.

And.....for those following "The World From Above" game thread, that country borders this one!

Where is this, name of the city please and bonus for name of the hotel?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

In the good old days of this thread there were some gentleman from the country where this photo was taken, who would guess this instantly, I wonder if they are still here, :)

Edited by otto.f

You are on the right track but he was also somewhere else than Paris or Rome

I'll admit with the help of Dr Google, it seems he lived for a short while in Belgium in his youth, which fits with the 1899 date. The writing appears to be French (which I don't speak since studying at high school), so I will have to say Wallonia someplace. I see there is a museum to him in Stavelot, so that is my guess. But I'm afraid to say that I've never been there and have definitely not walked down that street!

Michael

Your guess is right, it is Stavelot and this is the entrance of the Hotel OMalAime, which owes its name to the fact that Apollinaire stayed there a few weeks/months and wrote this poem/song there?, there was something with the bill also, don't know the exact anecdote, but I can certainly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to hear the whole true story about it.

I'm used to stay in this hotel when I go cycling in the Ardennes.

Well done Michael, your turn!

Your guess is right, it is Stavelot and this is the entrance of the Hotel OMalAime, which owes its name to the fact that Apollinaire stayed there a few weeks/months and wrote this poem/song there?, there was something with the bill also, don't know the exact anecdote, but I can certainly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to hear the whole true story about it.

I'm used to stay in this hotel when I go cycling in the Ardennes.

Well done Michael, your turn!

And your picture was posted in perfect time for the Ardennes Classics Week!

Michael

• Like 1

• jaapv unpinned and pinned this topic