"Do you know the world ?" -- Competition --

T00m

....... Bavaria is not very big so the choice is limited ......

...... here is another restrained piece of interior decorating from the same building ......

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by thighslapper

Correct ...... and it is a labyrinthine and rather mind-numbing trek through vast opulent rooms that just show what you can do if you have unlimited wealth, generally poor taste and the overwhelming need to impress.....

Makes Buck house in London look like a cabin in the woods .....

Your turn ....

Edited by thighslapper

This place predates indoor plumbing.

Very well ! Your turn, Lars

The place is a weird set of huge underground galleries dug in the mountain, that were famous because Jean Cocteau made a black and white movies in the fifties called "le Testament d'Orphée" (Orpheus' Will). It is now used as an exhibition place with projectors using the walls of this quarry as screens. The place deserves being visited.

Here are pictures of the outside, with some people to show how huge the place is.

Congratulations

Gérard

I was looking back and saw Gerard had posted pictures of Carrieres des Lumieres. It looked familiar, I knew I'd been there, it had completely escaped me. I had to look it up and then recalled it was on a trip when we stayed in a fantastic and very reasonable property called Domaine des Clos, a great base for visiting Arles, Nimes, Avignon, Carpentras, Gordes and especially the Camargue. My son got his first camera by winning a prize taking a picture of the wild white horses of the Camargue (with my camera). 

There is also a rather unattractive town called Beaucaire (thanks to a large cement works) that had a brilliant restaurant called L'ail Heure, run by a Michelin starred Japanese-speaking alcoholic madman called Luc Andreu. Don't suppose anyone went there? Anyway, a great destination for photography, especially when the Camargue is wild and windy. Thanks, Gerard for posting that.

Not sufficiently obscure - indeed it is Castelnaud. One amongst many interesting places to visit in the area. So SLS... 

It is indeed. Been a couple of times. That part of the Dordogne is very busy and FULL of English people and cars. I have stayed near Castillion along to the west for the Bordeaux region wines, but much preferred Chateau de Mercues just outside of Cahors, which is brilliant for photography, in the much quieter Lot. Also wonderful wines (Malbec). A magnificent castle hotel on top of a cliff. Many interesting places nearby, the stand-out being Pech Merle, incredible 35,000 year old cave paintings  and one of the last such places still open to the public. No photography allowed, but one of those places that has to be visited in a lifetime.

Anyway, hope this isn't too difficult.

JKNneh.jpg

Edited by sls

Just down the road from Cahors is St Cirq Lapopie, a tiny village glued to the cliffs of the Lot. It is "listed", which in France means that you cannot fix a leaky roof without permission form a fonctionnaire in Paris. But it is all beyond charming. We have stayed there twice, and probably not for the last time. 

No idea about your picture...

Yes, Michael, we visited St Cirq Lapopie.  It is on the south bank of a grand valley and is the sort of place you expect to be populated by Hobbits. We've not stayed there. My wife is off driving holidays due to her back so I'm not sure we'll be going back anytime soon. I recall on that trip I drove non-stop from London to Juan les Pins, left home at about 7:30pm and arrived early morning. Had a nice big Lexus then, now a little town car. The Route Napoleon is well worth driving. I much prefer The Lot to the Cote D'Azur.

As to the building, it's not in London, it's in the Middle East. Does that help? And it's an art gallery, a sort of museum I suppose.

• Like 1

Time to move on. Picture is the new wing of the Tel Aviv Museum of Art.

It's quite a space with some great exhibitions (there was major Andy Warhol exhibition last time I was there, transferred from New York, Frank Capa showing at the moment). Some more image on the link below, but I prefer the Leica look.

http://www.dezeen.com/2011/11/22/herta-and-paul-amir-building-at-the-tel-aviv-museum-of-art-by-preston-scott-cohen/

Someone else post please.

Let's try this one.

House of a Founding Father? Virginia? The Palladian window and size suggests someone well to do. The Federal style suggests colonial times, the condition and flags suggest careful upkeep of a historic building.

Edited by Michael Hiles