Architecture in the New World

abrewer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here are a few images of my city, Indianapolis, made over the last year on my MP with 35mmf2ASPH and (mostly) Fuji Reala.

For reference, the first is of Monument Circle at the heart of the city with a modern bank building, the interior of a shopping mall, an office building and skywalk, the train station, and the Art Museum.

Hi Allan, great pictures! The only one I have slight difficulties with is the first one. It looks too perfect, already sterile in my eyes. I assume you edited the pic in Photoshop, restoring the parallel lines by 'distorting'. It now appears to my eyes, that the upper half of the right building is wider than the lower half.

# 2 is technically perfect (sterile?) as well, but I love good interior shots, and that is one of them.

# 3 stunningly reproduces the 'neck-ache-effect' of us countryside residents when we visit a modern big city for the first time :-)

# 4 lives through its vivid colour, maybe a tad darker would make it even more impressive?

# 5: Great. Concentration on lines by reduction in colours. The reproduction of the circle in the building by the round squere in the foreground makes it a perfect shot.

Best regards,

Marcus

Allan,

#5 is my favourite. Clean style, simply perfect.

Great Photo!

Best -Klaus

PS:

Have you ever compared Architecture photos shot under gray, structureless sky versus ones with visible clouds?

I am under the impression that a gray, structureless sky enhances the expressiveness of a building...

Marcus, thank you for your encouragement and kind suggestions for improvement. They are very welcome here. And yes, the perspective correction of the top picture would be enhanced if I would have "stretched" the building vertically a little. The fourth picture is made with Kodak 100UC, a film I particularly like for oranges/browns/yellows and blues.

Klaus, I'm of mixed feelings about the clouds. For the Art Museum picture, the overcast day worked well, but I have others where the clouds bring the image to life. I'll post a couple later today for you that I think illustrate this.

Thanks for your comments! Mutual exchange of ideas and interests is what makes the Leica Forum such a wonderful place for us all.

Allan

Allan -

Though we've not seen these photos before, we have seen several of the locations, and I find them as compelling in these views (perhaps even more so) than inprevious views.

Stuart