My Leica set

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Everyone!

I'm new guy in the forum, so first of all i would like to say hello, also i'd like to present my Leica III B set. She's from 1933 (120712 serial no) as you will see in the pics i have some stuff (including manual- in polish) for her. I'm wondering (just out of curiosity) about value of this set. If anyone know the (plus/minus) price, write it please, but i don't think i will sell it in a heartbeat :)

Thanks for Yours time

Filip

Enjoy!

5e592cb76602c209m.jpg

040de0306667ae6dm.jpg

2bb2421f2150ccc0m.jpg

Rest of images:

S7000328.JPG | faku | Fotki, Zdj?cia, Obrazki Fotosik.pl

S7000329.JPG | faku | Fotki, Zdj?cia, Obrazki Fotosik.pl

S7000330.JPG | faku | Fotki, Zdj?cia, Obrazki Fotosik.pl

S7000331.JPG | faku | Fotki, Zdj?cia, Obrazki Fotosik.pl

S7000332.JPG | faku | Fotki, Zdj?cia, Obrazki Fotosik.pl

S7000333.JPG | faku |

Fotki, Zdj?cia, Obrazki Fotosik.pl

S7000336.JPG | faku | Fotki, Zdj?cia, Obrazki Fotosik.pl

• Like 1

Helo Filip,

Welcome to this forum,

Looks like you have a Leica III from 1933 and Summar 2/50 +

an Elmar 4/90 and an Elmar 3.5/50 as lenses.

as accessories you have :

a Vidom universal viewfinder

a WINTU angular viewfinder

a reflecting finder to be used at waist level AUFSU

a Fikus sunshade adjustable from 50 to 135 lens.

you have a nice set for taking pictures and enter the next Barnack Challenge in December ;)

For the value check, at least, at this address :

Willkommen im LeicaShop - Startseite de

Thanks for inviting me, but now i'm on my way to learn how to use that camera, few days ago i bought my first film and did some photos. I'll see how they will look like:) If You know any of web site where i can read about how to set every parameters correctly i'll be grateful.

Filip

I suggest, first that you should take seriously what the manual says about the trimming of the film leader (longer than present standard).

Also, you should find a competent Leica mechanic and have the camera CLA-ed (Cleaning, Lubricating, Adjustment). This is a Very Olde Camera and God knows when that was done last. But it will repay the consideration.

You will find that the Summar is pretty soft wide open, and generally low in contrast. It is not too good in backlit situations, being uncoated and, yes, old. There, the Elmar is much better. Also, be careful with the front lens of the Summar. It is pretty soft and easily scratched. A pristine Summar is in fact not too common.

The old man from the Age of the Leica IIIa

Thanks for inviting me, but now i'm on my way to learn how to use that camera, few days ago i bought my first film and did some photos. I'll see how they will look like:) If You know any of web site where i can read about how to set every parameters correctly i'll be grateful.

Filip

Hello Filip,

Welcome. You have a very nice set. The value of each of the pieces can be found separately and depend in large part on the condition. Your camera is a Leica III which is fairly common and maybe worth about US $300 in good condition. The lenses could be worth more for each piece.

There are very few parameters for this camera. The most important thing to learn is how to load the camera with film. Check your manual. Also you should lengthen the film leader so it doesn't catch on the shutter opening frame. This is very important and I recommend some practice with roll of cheap film you don't care about. Make sure the little lever by the exposure counter is positioned toward the counter when advancing the film. When rewinding the film this lever is positioned toward the front of the camera. Since this camera doesn't have an exposure meter you will need one to tell you what to set the lens opening and camera shutter speed. Again check your manual. The shutter speed is set after you wind the film. Especially pay attention to when you set the slow speeds and the main dial is set to 20-1. You focus the camera by looking through the left side window on the back of the camera and aligning the images to superimpose by moving the focus on the lens. Frame the scene by looking through the window on the right. The film counter is set manually to zero after you load the film.

Good luck with the camera. Don't forget this camera will provide excellent results but is a unique experience with none of the modern camera frills or automatic features.

Len

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd like to thank You all for answers, they are very helpful. I will look for leica mechanic or good photographer who knows how to do demant conservations but i guess (in first case) it will be hard to do in my city even country. This camera hasn't been used since my grand grandfather died (1975). This was his camera.

I have two more question if i can. First about this dial near the lens (7a in manual) "Adjusting dial for the slow instantaneous speeds from 1-1/8 sec." This sentens told me nothing... Is it for shutter speed too? And if yes how to use it? Manual says 1- 1/8sec. but there are numbers from 1 to 20.

And the second one about number 20-1 from shutter speed dial what it means? Is it common to this dial form 1st question? If i set 20-1 on shutter-speed dial it means I have to set something on the dial near lens?

Thanks for your time

-Filip

Filip,

to adjust the speed, first you load the shutter by turning the right kurnled large button as indicated by an arrow next you must pull a little the speed wheel and adjust to the mark on the body.

when you need slow speed do as describe above next set the speed on 20-1 position and next adjust the front speed wheel to the one you need.

Try to set this wheel on 1s and if you hear a delayed running before the shutter closes this is possible that your camera is in good condition.

try all of them.

Good luck

I'd like to thank You all for answers, they are very helpful. I will look for leica mechanic or good photographer who knows how to do demant conservations but i guess (in first case) it will be hard to do in my city even country. This camera hasn't been used since my grand grandfather died (1975). This was his camera.

I have two more question if i can. First about this dial near the lens (7a in manual) "Adjusting dial for the slow instantaneous speeds from 1-1/8 sec." This sentens told me nothing... Is it for shutter speed too? And if yes how to use it? Manual says 1- 1/8sec. but there are numbers from 1 to 20.

And the second one about number 20-1 from shutter speed dial what it means? Is it common to this dial form 1st question? If i set 20-1 on shutter-speed dial it means I have to set something on the dial near lens?

Thanks for your time

-Filip

Filip,

The 20-1 on the main dial needs to be in that position for the slow speeds to be accessed. The small dial next to the lens is for the slow speeds including 1/20 sec (20-1) and 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 1sec, and T for the times exposure. As an example if you want 1/8 sec exposure set the main dial to 20-1 and the small dial to 8. The camera will ignore the slow speed dial as long as the main dial is not in position 20-1. And remember to wind the shutter before setting the main and the small dial.

Regards,

Len

Again, thank you both

I tried it and it works :) I can hear the running before shutter closes, i tried them all and i think that they works correctly. I'm really happy that I could took advantage of yours advice. They helped me a lot, Thanks.

Best regards,

-Filip

Filip,

Welcome. Good advice given already, download a manual and try a roll of film, use each of the lenses. If the Summar is clean its an excellent lens but as said the 5cm Elmar is much sharper.

If it hasn't been used for so long it would definately benefit from a service, but see how the results come out. Apart from shutter speeds becoming sluggish, other problems tend to be damage to the shutter curtains (pin prick holes usually) and weak rangefinders.

A group of us were in Krakow recently for our annual 'One Challenge' - our photos will be up soon. I visited Krakow a couple of years ago and there was a camera dealer in the city who dealt in Leica and old Russian rangefinders but he had since moved and I couldn't find the shop again.

We look forward to seeing some of your results!

Hi,

Look what I found few minutes ago in my Leica stuff. The left filter is brighter than this on the right (yellow - orange(?) ). I don't know how to use this self timer and what for is this smaller... sorry I don't know the exact word... this item second one from the top. Maybe it isn't from Leica.

8304d7bdedf1eb14m.jpg

Regards

Filip

Hi,

Look what I found few minutes ago in my Leica stuff. The left filter is brighter than this on the right (yellow - orange(?) ). I don't know how to use this self timer and what for is this smaller... sorry I don't know the exact word... this item second one from the top. Maybe it isn't from Leica.

Regards

Filip

Hi Filip,

The 2nd item from the top is a cable release but is not for your Leica III without an adapter. It will fit the Leica M and most other older and some newer cameras. To use a cable release and the self timer on your camera you must remove the collar that is around the camera shutter release and then screw the self timer or cable release over the shutter button.

Test your self timer to make sure it works. You should be able to wind the levers on the self timer and then push a button which will give you a delayed shutter activation when it's on the camera. It's very old and may not work.

Len

Hi,

8304d7bdedf1eb14m.jpg

Regards

Filip

The two filters are probably BOTH yellow... they were used a lot at the times of BW film, and Leitz listed yellow filters in 3 different grades (light-medium-dark): the grade ought to be engraved on the ring (numbers 1 - 2 - 3, if I remember well... but maybe there was also a "0")