Digilux 2 69mm filter - do you have a filter on your D2?

redoutback

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I figure if you're gonna put a piece of glass in front of the D2's lens, then you might as well make it a big one! :rolleyes:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
An old thread but an ever-present problem. Can anyone suggest a current source for a 69mm-67mm step-down ring? I just spoke with a specialty filter dealer who did not have the item or any suggestions.

Rich

Why? just buy the correct size filter. They are freely available from both B&W and Heliopan and even the Leica and Panasonic ones are obtainable.

Stepdown rings are available from Heavystar (e-bay shop)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you must know-- this is to enable the use of a Tiffen closeup attachment. And Heavystar does not carry this size. Found one in Hong Kong on ebay-- I will report back when it arrives.

As for "protection"-- I have found that a sturdy hood works as well as a filter.

Rich

• 3 months later...

Dear all,

I came across a 77mm leica Polarizer filter for the D2 and I was wondering if any of you have experience, good or bad, in terms of image quality.

I heard that the D2 doesn't work well with polarizers, but haven't seen any pictures to take my own judgement. I am going to the middle east soon on a work trip and I would love to use a polarizer when taking some landscape shots. I am still deciding which camera I will take with me (D3 or D2), but I would like to give the D2 try.

Any piece of advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Carlos

Hi jrethorst,

I already bought a generic 69-72mm step-up ring which should arrive any day to use with a 72mm Lumix Polarizer that also is use on my D3 lenses. Ideally, I would love to use a 69mm polarizer filter, but the prices I found online are prohibitive... I friend of mine wants to sell his Leica branded 77mm polarizer filter. do you know with it is any better than the Heliopan or Lumix ones?

Thanks!

I've heard that Leica filters are made by Heliopan. Lumix filters would be made by Panasonic which, if it can make the D2's lens with the quality it has, can certainly make filetrs that are as good. I understand that Leica designed the D2 lens, but design of a filter would not be as involved.

I figure if you're gonna put a piece of glass in front of the D2's lens, then you might as well make it a big one! :rolleyes:

Well said. I have one as well and it is a great lens.

As to the filter question, few Photo stores will routinely carry the native size for a Digilux 2 but they can be easily ordered on Amazon, eBay or from any Heliopan dealer.

Yes, I am also using the lens hood frequently - additionally to the UV filter. However, the lens hood is not so useful when I use the polarisation filter, because in this case it is not so easy to rotate the pol filter.

That's what I had thought and then, using the pol on a sunny day I put the hood back on for a shot, and found I could put two fingers on the forward-facing metal edge of the filter and rotate it easily.

I've heard that Leica filters are made by Heliopan. Lumix filters would be made by Panasonic which, if it can make the D2's lens with the quality it has, can certainly make filetrs that are as good. I understand that Leica designed the D2 lens, but design of a filter would not be as involved.

Thanks for the info! I made some tests with the Lumix 72mm Circular polarizer and my D2 and everything is fine! I was doing some research and apparently the circular polarizer is recommended for DSLRs and Linear polarizers for cameras without a mirror, like the D2.

Does anyone know if this is true?

• 7 months later...
I have the 69mm to 67mm step-down adapter on my Digilux 2 and use 67mm filters exclusively. There is no vignetting and because the 67mm filter/adapter combination is smaller than the original, the Digilux 2 lens shade still fits.

I highly recommend it, the 69mm diameter is not particularly common......

Best,

Jan

Just to let you all know, vignetting DOES happen with the 69-67 step-down combo... but I'll live with that for now with some cropping, as I would like to keep my lens shade in place.

L1030056.jpg

d2c.jpg

d2a.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi! trying to revive an old thread - I'm getting the 69mm uva 18630 filter but had some questions - does anyone know if these leica filters are any better optically than b+w or heliopan? Are they coated/multicoated?

thanks!