Waterproof M8's

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just a note from Honduras to let everybody know how durable these M8's are. I've been in Honduras for every rainy season for over 20 years and this one beats anything I've ever seen. We've had torrential downpours every day while I've been way up in remote mountain communities. There has been no way to avoid getting my M8's totally soaked, both by rain and by falling in a raging creek. I've been here, getting soaked, every day for almost a week and my M8's are still working fine. I brought an M7 and film, just in case, but I haven't had to use it. I am very, very happy with the durability of these electronic cameras. I didn't bring my Canon's but I'm not sure they would have fared as well. I'm sure after reading this no one would ever want to buy my used M8's, but then I'll probably never sell them. :)

Tina

Tina Manley- powered by SmugMug

• Like 3

Wet - as in soaked - underwater, along with me. The only problem I've had is that my 75/1.4 and my 24/2.8 have fogged up every morning and take a couple of hours to clear. None of the other lenses have been affected. The M8's were totally underwater briefly when I fell in the stream and have been soaked by blowing, hard rains on hour-long walks down the mountain every day for one week. No problems yet. I'll probably send them in for checking, one at a time, when I get back. I'm so happy that they are still working fine!!

Tina

I was in Costa Rica a couple of weeks ago visiting a friend and she remarked that this year has been abnormally rainy there as well. I wonder if it's a pan-Central America thing this year.

In regards to soaking my M8, I agree that the camera seems to stand up to moisture--rain or snow--very well. Though thankfully I've never fully submerged one.

Just a note from Honduras to let everybody know how durable these M8's are. I've been in Honduras for every rainy season for over 20 years and this one beats anything I've ever seen. We've had torrential downpours every day while I've been way up in remote mountain communities. There has been no way to avoid getting my M8's totally soaked, both by rain and by falling in a raging creek. I've been here, getting soaked, every day for almost a week and my M8's are still working fine. I brought an M7 and film, just in case, but I haven't had to use it. I am very, very happy with the durability of these electronic cameras. I didn't bring my Canon's but I'm not sure they would have fared as well. I'm sure after reading this no one would ever want to buy my used M8's, but then I'll probably never sell them. :)

Tina

Just what is it you're trying to prove here young lady? Are you even suggesting that the M8 isn't a camera for the rich and famous to wear like bling bling? Are you trying to fly in the face of conventional thinking and dare to suggest that the M8 is actually a camera that can take great images AND is made well enough to withstand the punishment dealt out by mother nature? Fie, fie on you I say! This is L-Camera forum heresy! Off with her head!:D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is the photo right before I lost my footing and was submerged along with my M8's. It was raining so hard I wasn't really looking at the exposure details so it's a 1 second exposure! I think you can see how strong the current is in the stream, though.

Honduras Rainy Season! photo - Tina Manley photos at pbase.com

Tina

• Like 1

how are you?

the photograph you show on your pbase gallery looks like you took a nasty spill

(I imagine you would have preferred the M8 had a plastic body)

it is good to learn about the camera's reliable performance in trying circumstances

I have been very careful to avoid getting it wet & don't plan to push my luck, but this is still good to know

btw, I thoroughly enjoyed spending about an hour visiting your excellent pbase galleries

you've done some inspiring work

How is your eye doing? One of your picks looks like you really got popped by our favorite camera! THAT had to hurt!

Thanks for reporting your M8s performance in the wet, good to know.

Take care,

Kent

I think you have been incredibly lucky Tina. After a small shower my M8 gave up the ghost and only after several days slow drying did it revive. I am glad yours has proved resilient but do not press your good luck.

Like your site.

Well Water resistancy of the M8 is OK, I tend to shoot often in rain and mist. It's actually the fine dust and fine sand the worries me a bit, I was in Morocco in april and did some sandstorm shots in the desert and was surprised to see sand in the innards of the M8, not a lot, but it was , well dusty. Cleaned it out with a small vacuum cleaner and a very fine brush and it still works fine.

But I wouldn't take it out in the pouring rain, although I would too, bad weather shots are always so dramatic .... I do work with plastic bags made to fit the camera and lens though, but its not the same as shooting it "raw" so to speak

smashing work tina! i shoot an m8 daily and twice have been caught in torrential downpours with no hope in hell of reaching any cover. the m8 has never had even a hiccup.

i have had it knocked out of my hands onto the pavement by a very angry pimp, fallen out of a two story window with it and found myself in the middle of a very rough drug deal gone bad with it. it has never flinched?!

when i first purchased one i had a dud... after many weeks of it sitting in leicausa's vortex i got pissed (and mr erhardt's cel number). they/he must have went over mine with a fine tooth comb as it has been FLAWLESS since it arrived (which was in days of talking to mr erhardt). i have totally returned to my m ways... toss it in the bag and go. bang it around, get it wet and generally abuse it.

john

gallery 7 : WELCOME