M8 & Pro Wedding photography

M'Ate

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Guys,

Just came across this topic and as I am thinking of using my M8.2 next to Leica Monochrom (M9M) and Nikon D700 i would very interested if anybody of you is still using the M8(.2) for wedding work? 

Or did all of you M weddingshooters 'upgrade' to the newer M bodies?

Sold my Sony A7. And I am seriously thinking of using the M8.2 again for the color wedding shots (with D700 as backup) next to the MM.

Am I mad or does anybody else out there still use this camera for wedding work in 2017?

Edited by RvN

Gaetano D'Auria is a frequent poster in the Leica M8/8.2 Facebook Group with his Leica M8 wedding photography. If you view the page you have to scroll down to March 25th to see his latest post; he has many more prior to that. I don't know what other equipment he may use or if that's the only camera for his work.

I do still use my M8 classic for professional work - routinely. I rarely shoot weddings in general, but for the right client or right circumstance, I will still upon occasion. With an M6 and a (Nikon D3s and D500 in the bag as back-up) - the M8 provides images as potent today as it did when I first got it long ago. The colors - with filter - of the old ccd are still stunning, muted, and warm. The BW conversions are arguably and up to ISO 1250, second to none - though lack the versatility and file size of its younger siblings at the higher end of the ISO range. (exclude the Henries) The key is to keep the batteries fresh - this reduces the lock-up issues. Objectively, when I share the files with my clients and ask which they like (camera info blind) a surprising amount still gravitate to images made with the M8 vs the Nikons ( when I do multiple bodies ).

One other point - ANY camera with one card...change out the cards AND shoot another body ( my case, film) as a simultaneous exercise. At some point - the card will fail. Professionally - not having the images would be unacceptable. Second body is your insurance. Third body is your back-up. My two cents. Still a great camera!

Best, Coos

www.focophoto.com

www.thetwofacesofrichard.com

Edited by photophile
  • Like 1

Thank you Cobbu and Photophile.

I want to use the M8 (and D700) for color work and the MM for B&W. Guess i will not be using higher than 640 iso. on the M8.2 Probably the 35 summicron v4 will be on the MM and the 24mm 2.8 ash or 40vc 1.4 on the M8.2. I have seen video with wedding pics from a an italian guy with the M8 and VC 40mm that looked great. Will have to have to the flash sf58/sf24d ready if scene will be to dark. Have been shooting a lot with the 28mm on the MM (and 5D) so i might get a VC 21mm f4 for the M8.2 cause the 24mm feels just a bit close.