Billingham L2 (Alice) Bag?

kenneth

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently bought the Billingham L2 (Alice) bag from Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more and am very happy with it. It holds my M3, two lens, and extra film. The bag also has a bit of extra room for my wallet and keys.

The recent Amazon.com price was US $189 and that was with no tax and no additional shipping fees.

This thread is no longer applicable to my circumstances as I have purchased a Billingham 225 which seems ideal for my needs but thank you all for your input

Edited by kenneth

6 months ago I was considering between an Alice and a black Billingham S3 that I found at a local shop. I ended up with the latter, mainly because Alice doesn't have zippers. Handy, yes, but I was worried about dust and tripping over and having a lens rolling down the street... Or the bag opening in a trunk or another bag or somewhere. The S3 just seemed more safe.

Alice should take the add-on pockets, though, which the S3 does not. They are handy.

What does the insert of the Small Hadley look like? Last time I visited the Billingham site the all-important inside shots were just missing, there were only those little squares with question marks inside that tells you the browser cannot find the picture file. Bad site mamagement.

Any bag where you are supposed to rest your camera with the lens down in the central compartment, must have protective flaps over the outside ones. Like my Tamrac bags. These work well but cry 'camera!' and the general look is of course quite non-u. Not county, really.

The old man from the Age of Domke Bags

The Small Hadley insert looks exactly as the Hadley insert, only difference is the size (slightly smaller). I have bought a bag from Fjällräven (in Sweden a well known manufacturer of out-door gear) which is slightly larger than the Small Hadley, but looks less "fly-fishing-nerd" (I try to attach a picture). The small Hadely Insert easily takes my MP and M7, both with summicron 50, and my summicron 28 and summilux 35, with hoods attached. In te bag you have room for film, filters, guidebooks etc.

Lars

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

My khaki Billingham Hadley is a great bag, but it's gotten a bit "dingy" looking from hard use.

When I consolidated - I prefer to think of it as practicing personal discipline - I wanted a small, rugged, unobtrusive and inexpensive bag that could handle a complete camera,

a couple of extra lens (all I had left), small flash and my ever present i-pod and other

":stuff" - batteries, sd cards, charger etc. A secure place for airline tickets, passport and

reservations numbers was also important.

I found this Naneu Pro Military Ops LIMA bag - perfect size, waterproof (couple of very wet

days on the Great Wall was its first test) and well padded. Not quite the snob appeal of

the Billingham or the Fogg, but it fit nicely inside my single carry-on and gave me a great

day bag at my destinations.

Lima Shoulder Bag - Travel Backpacks, Camera Cases & Messenger Bags for Travelers On The Go - Military Ops Series | Naneu

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

the good thing about Billinghams is they last! I have and L2 and a press-top, but also a well used neglected one I bought 20 years ago, @ leather straps had dried out thro' lack of care and age and were replaced by he factory (for a fee), they did a fantastic job. The rest of the bag, stitching and all, is still perfectly sound.

I used to use an Alice with M6, 35mm, 50mm and 25mm.

When I bought mine it didn't come with the rubberised shoulder strap shown in the above illustrations. I found that to be mandatory as the webbing would slip off the shoulder very easily without it.

When I bought mine years ago, the rubberised shoulder strap was included. I also find it mandatory.

I use the shoulder strap on my Domke AND on the Leica Billingham.

• 5 years later...

I was just given a Billingham L2....its kind of a funny size. I think I wish it was thinner?
Can someone show me  a photo of how they set up theirs.....please.
My bag only came with one divider so I'll need at least one more.
I'm a little confused by which Billingham dividers to add/order to get the most out of this bag.
I would like it to carry a 240 and 3 M lenses...It looks like all should fit nicely?

Honestly my camera never goes in a bag and I put the xtra lens in my pocket

.......but it was free so I think I'm going to try it out.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just given a Billingham L2....its kind of a funny size. I think I wish it was thinner?

Can someone show me  a photo of how they set up theirs.....please.

My bag only came with one divider so I'll need at least one more.

I'm a little confused by which Billingham dividers to add/order to get the most out of this bag.

I would like it to carry a 240 and 3 M lenses...It looks like all should fit nicely?

Honestly my camera never goes in a bag and I put the xtra lens in my pocket

.......but it was free so I think I'm going to try it out.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

That's a great bag, I love it!

I don't have mine at hand, otherwise I would post a picture of it.

Yes, one M with a lens on it, plus 2 more lenses, even 3, fit perfectly on it.

Just an idea: before ordering the 2nd divider, perhaps you can use those tiny Optech neoprene cylinders, one for each lens, so that you can put the lenses side by side without problem...

BTW, when I bought mine new at B&H it came with 2 dividers of the same size.

I found the L2 divider set at the Billingham site in England. But I cant find a Billingham dealer in the USA to order them for me.
I sent out 4 emails: B&H  said no, Leica DC did not reply, Billingham's suggested US dealer West Photo did not reply ....I'm still hopeful for Leica Miami that I asked today.
Even  Billingham did not reply to my inquiry as to who in the US would be able to help me.......I'm not having a  good customer service experience from this company?

I guess I'm being cheap but I'm trying to avoid ordering something this small from overseas. Shipping, exchange rate, and fees are more than the dividers themselves.

I am surprised, this form holds Billingham in such hi regard. It must be an English thing because Billingham customer service here in the US does not exist.

Suggestions welcome...Thank You

Heres what I'm looking for:
https://www.billingham.co.uk/accessories/l2-divider-set-466.html

Edited by ECohen

I found the L2 divider set at the Billingham site in England. But I cant find a Billingham dealer in the USA to order them for me.
I sent out 4 emails: B&H  said no, Leica DC did not reply, Billingham's suggested US dealer West Photo did not reply ....I'm still hopeful for Leica Miami that I asked today.

Even  Billingham did not reply to my inquiry as to who in the US would be able to help me.......I'm not having a  good customer service experience from this company?

I guess I'm being cheap but I'm trying to avoid ordering something this small from overseas. Shipping, exchange rate, and fees are more than the dividers themselves.

I am surprised, this form holds Billingham in such hi regard. It must be an English thing because Billingham customer service here in the US does not exist.

Suggestions welcome...Thank You

Heres what I'm looking for:

https://www.billingham.co.uk/accessories/l2-divider-set-466.html

Not sure what the problem is. B&H Photo carries the L2 Divider Set you point to, in all three colors. See:

Billingham L2 Divider Set (Black)

B&H # BIL2DIVSETBK MFR # 522901

Billingham L2 Divider Set (Olive)
B&H # BIL2DIVSETOL MFR # 522947

Billingham L2 Divider Set (Orange)
B&H # BIL2DIVSETOR MFR # 522950

I've never had any problem obtaining Billingham gear from Billingham direct to California, or from B&H. The total price is often less ordered direct from Billingham, despite shipping charges, but B&H has had all the dividers and other Billingham bag accessories I needed for my bags, even despite one of them being over 20 years old. The Billingham folks have always been both responsive and helpful when I've had questions too. 

I've had my L2 for over a decade and use it to carry any number of different cameras in this time. Nowadays, it is home to my Leica SL 'small kit' ... Camera with typically two R lenses or camera with the Super-Elmar-R 15mm or SL24-90 fits nicely, and the front pocket fits my iPad Pro 9.7" as well as all the spares and other accessories I need. It's been rugged, weatherproof, and elegant for working out of. 
Edited by ramarren

Did I read this wrong B&H email?

Hello Evan Cohen, my name is Dan W:

Thank you for contacting the Sales Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.

I am sorry for the long delay. Unfortunately we cannot special order the replacement dividers. But these are the correct part numbers for the dividers:

L2 Divider Set - Olive: 522947
L2 Divider Set - Black: 522901
L2 Divider Set - ORANGE: 522950

ramarren Would you mind sending me a link to
Billingham California an internet search on my end only shows UK.

Also Thanks ramarren the B&H link you sent will let me order ....I just got incorrect information form a staffer....thats rare

cleardot.gif

Did I read this wrong B&H email?

Hello Evan Cohen, my name is Dan W:

Thank you for contacting the Sales Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.

I am sorry for the long delay. Unfortunately we cannot special order the replacement dividers. But these are the correct part numbers for the dividers:

L2 Divider Set - Olive: 522947

L2 Divider Set - Black: 522901

L2 Divider Set - ORANGE: 522950

ramarren Would you mind sending me a link to

Billingham California an internet search on my end only shows UK.

Also Thanks ramarren the B&H link you sent will let me order ....I just got incorrect information form a staffer....thats rare

cleardot.gif

There's no "Billingham California". I meant I have ordered from Billingham in the UK with direct delivery to my home in California. 

I placed an order for a Billingham L2 Divider Set (in olive) with B&H last night. I have only one divider at present ... don't know where the others got to ... and it will be nice to have a couple of spares. Yes, the staffer at B&H seems to have made a mistake in his reply to you. 

Thanks for your advice .....bought from the UK today....7 to 10 day shipping.

If I'm accurate in my calculations  B&H was 5 bucks more,even with free shipping.

I do sincerely appreciate your help.

Evan

Edited by ECohen

Thanks for your advice .....bought from the UK today....7 to 10 day shipping.

If I'm accurate in my calculations  B&H was 5 bucks more,even with free shipping.

I do sincerely appreciate your help.

Evan

Could be. I had a couple other things to order as well, so whatever the difference might have been gets lost in the shipping differences.