Which are your most exciting M lenses?

junglehs

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This such a difficult question to answer. Dont suppose you wanted a list but here goes:

I find all of my lenses exciting in different ways, some more than others:

1. 12mm cv: for its dramatic rendering of a scene. I use it at f5.6-8.0. I find it sharp and with good contrast. Very easy to use as a point and shoot. I have no filter for it so some colour correction is required but great for B&W. I use the finder that comes with it, which on the M8 shows more than will be recorded, but I estimate.

2. 16-18-21 WATE. Also for its dramatic rendering of a scene and for it's versatilty. But it is a large and fiddly and the finder is also large.

3. 24 Elmarit ASPH. Very nice lens but it is a recent aquisition so I have not yet learn't its characteristics. Also a bit large for my liking, especially with the hood.

4. 28 Elmarit ASPH. Bought this with my M8 and have grown to love its sharpness and contrast. So small and innocuous it is a delight. However I dont have a 28 cron to compare it with.

5. 35 summicron ASPH. I avoided the 35 summilux on reading of the back focussing problems. Almost as small as my 28 elmarit but I am not so fond of it as I am the elmarit. It is a focal length I want so will keep it. Thinking of getting a 35 f1.2 cv.

6. 50 summicron. A lens I bought with my M8 and a favourite for its size, sharpness and pleasant bokeh. Easy to use wide open. Currently I Will often choose this instead of my 50 summilux.

7. 50 summilux ASPH. Most recent aquisition. Need to work with it more. No problem with sharpness and the bokeh looks fine to me but I think it does backfocus slightly so may send it in for checking. Having two 50mm lenses is quite convenient.

8. 75 summicron ASPH. Very sharp lens similar to the 50 summilux ASPH. Great for portraits of those with 'character' faces. I need to use it more.

If I had to choose it would be the WATE because of its versatility, although I am not keen on the size, and the 28 Elmarit and 50 summicron because of their ease of use and small size. In the future my ideas could well change.

Jeff

Hi guys, here's the updated score of the most exciting lenses for the M8. I only counted the tor 3 mentions. Everything else was mentioned less.

1. 28mm 2.0 (12 votes)

2. 24mm 2.8 (10 votes)

50mm 1.0 (10 votes)

3. 75mm 1.4 (8 votes)

Now we know what to buy for the most excitement. I am lucky enough to own 3 of these. Yeah!:)

The only one which I would truly characterize as "exciting" is the Noctilux.

This is the most interesting answer.

I don't like to describe you my lens set as exciting (but i like those who found so).

In my experience few lenses may be described as "exciting" too, and they're the most creative and not-easy-to use ones.

Noctilux

75 summilux

12 CV

I may insert the summilux 35 pre-asph in this trio, but I really find hard to love its carachteristics of flare and come.

Anyway it's a unique dreaming lens when used at FA.

Important:

Please note that i actually own just the CV12 in my lens kit, but I had the luck to use or have all of the above.

ciao!

I have a Summilux 35mm ASPH, Noctilux 50mm and Summilux 75mm. All three lenses show backfocusing problems. The worst case is that of the Summilux 75mm, and then the Summilux 35mm. The Summilux 35mm and Noctilux have focus shift problems too. I may send these lenses to Solms for adjusting, with the camera, but it is absurd to me. I cannot be without my camera for one month or so.

Well, I like the rendering of the three lenses. I use most of the time the Summilux 35mm, due to its relatively small size. I like very much the Noctilux. The Summilux 75mm would be great, but it is very imprecise in terms of focusing wide open (very strong backfocus).

Focus precision in fast and long lenses is the most important flaw of the M8 and lenses system. I don't know if this is due to tolerances, manufacturing randomness... Fast and long lenses present problems. I don't know how Leica may correct this in a future model. Maybe a full frame sensor and a longer baselength for the rangefinder is enough.

I have a Summilux 35mm ASPH, Noctilux 50mm and Summilux 75mm. All three lenses show backfocusing problems. The worst case is that of the Summilux 75mm, and then the Summilux 35mm. The Summilux 35mm and Noctilux have focus shift problems too. I may send these lenses to Solms for adjusting, with the camera, but it is absurd to me. I cannot be without my camera for one month or so.

Well, I like the rendering of the three lenses. I use most of the time the Summilux 35mm, due to its relatively small size. I like very much the Noctilux. The Summilux 75mm would be great, but it is very imprecise in terms of focusing wide open (very strong backfocus).

Focus precision in fast and long lenses is the most important flaw of the M8 and lenses system. I don't know if this is due to tolerances, manufacturing randomness... Fast and long lenses present problems. I don't know how Leica may correct this in a future model. Maybe a full frame sensor and a longer baselength for the rangefinder is enough.

I'm sorry to hear this.

I suffered for focus shift with the Noctilux (and it's due to the lens design itself), but I didn't have problems both with 35lux and 75lux.

Are you experiencing backfocus problem with all of these lenses or focus shift too?

You have to remember that the nocti +75lux +90cron are the most difficult lens to calibrate with M cameras.

Did you try to regulate the screw inside of the coil in the upper part of the bayonet?

you might want to take it into the shop. i think this was an issue with early M8s and i believe the bug has been fixed.

case in point. my camera had severe backfocus with all my lenses. originally i had all the lenses calibrated to my M8, but it was a hit and miss operation. the 75 lux wouldn't calibrate, the lens didn't have enough tolerance or something. anyhow, the shop guy had called me back a few weeks later, told me he had finally received training from Leica regarding the backfocus issue. it was something that had to be adjusted with the CCD. i sent mine back, he adjusted the M8, and adjusted back all my lenses to normal and all lenses have since focused fine. and i know its fixed because i've since bought three more lenses, 50 lux, 35/1.2, and 75/2.5 and they all focused tack sharp right out of the box.

• Like 1

I find my CV 21-P a hoot because it is so tiny and produces decent performance along with dramatic perspective on my film bodies.

It may be boring to some, but to me the 35 Biogon is exciting because I know I can walk about all day with only this lens on and never be unable to shoot good shots, knowing that the results will be tack sharp, flare free and print beautifully. Its my everything lens.

At the risk of being boring my most 'exciting' lens is the Summicron 40 on my CL or 'old' M8, Why?

1.Size...small and easy to focus

2.Sharpness and contrast rivals the 35 Cron

3.FOV suits me perfectly

4.Cost is so low (under 200 euro for a very good condition) , no fear of damage etc.

5.Due to all above it is my most used and therefore most of my favourite shots are taken with it...not very exciting really but it really sings.

regards

Andy