Which are your most exciting M lenses?

junglehs

• 4 years later...

Here is my update on the most exciting lenses that I use today. I'd like to know yours too. Please contribute and also tell us why...

on M9:

- 35 summilux FLE, it just sings when I get the exposure right.

- 90 summicron APO, sharp and beautiful colors

at night:

- 50 Noctilux, wide open, pictures in focus are overrated. Ha.

• Like 1

at night:

- 50 Noctilux, wide open, pictures in focus are overrated. Ha.

:lol:

Currently I've rediscovered my love for my tiny 3.5cm f3.5 Summaron after it's thorough and much needed CLA.

Then there's the 50 Sumicron IV which gets 80% of the fun and the scarily sharp Leitz-Can. 90mm Tele-Elmar.

Small is truly Wonderful!

Pip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Which are your most exciting M lenses?

For me, my favorites are my -

21 Super Elmar M #11145

28 Elmarit M #11677

50 Noctilux M #11822

- with my Noctilux being the apple of my eye.

Disclaimer

I do not have an M8 or M8.2 but since that wasn't the question, it should not matter.

• 9 months later...

I've tried all 35mm Leica lenses (besides the elmar f3.5) & by far my two favorite ones are: 

1) Summicron 8 elements (small, beautiful rendering, and the amazing old school bokeh which is my favorite of all 35s)
2) Summilux steel rim with goggles (i prefer this to the lux pre-asph v2, but only with goggles as it allows to focus as close as 0.65; beautiful rendering, glow & bokeh, especially when used with b&w film or monochrom)

As for 50mm, I have also tried them all, from the Hektor 5cm f2.5 to the APO, and my favorites are:
1) Rigid cron (beautiful lens design, great bokeh, perfect size & weight, just a lovely lens to use, zero complaints)
2) DR cron (best built quality of all leica lens, just a joy to shoot with, plus it focuses to 0.4m; only downside is that it does not work with digital leicas)

On 1/25/2019 at 11:56 AM, shirubadanieru said:

I've tried all 35mm Leica lenses (besides the elmar f3.5) & by far my two favorite ones are: 

1) Summicron 8 elements (small, beautiful rendering, and the amazing old school bokeh which is my favorite of all 35s)
2) Summilux steel rim with goggles (i prefer this to the lux pre-asph v2, but only with goggles as it allows to focus as close as 0.65; beautiful rendering, glow & bokeh, especially when used with b&w film or monochrom)

As for 50mm, I have also tried them all, from the Hektor 5cm f2.5 to the APO, and my favorites are:
1) Rigid cron (beautiful lens design, great bokeh, perfect size & weight, just a lovely lens to use, zero complaints)
2) DR cron (best built quality of all leica lens, just a joy to shoot with, plus it focuses to 0.4m; only downside is that it does not work with digital leicas)

SOMNI or DR Cron works to infinity with M10: well almost all of them.

You may find a thread for that compatibility DR + M10.

I would like to say that with the goggles/near range, the DR can be used to 48cm with rangefinder on every digital Leica M, with some precautions on mounting (focus ring set to about 1.5m  etc. ).

Just try, and please don't repeat what "internet says".