Leica SF 24D Manual? pdf?

RobertW

Advertisement (gone after registration)

David Young hosts a lot of Leica Manuals here David Young's Photosite

Wilson

A useful resource but not the apparently elusive SF24D.

I think your request to Leica via Mods is an excellent idea and would allow Leica to direct users requests to this site which would beneficial for all concerned.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have a quick recommendation for fill-flash setting using the 24D with the M8? Typical conditions are backlit 2-3 person half body shots.

Also, does anyone know if you can save a -1.5EV flash expsoure compensation so that this is the default setting every time the flash is powered up? I have to re-set it every time I use it and it's really sarting to do my nut.:mad:

Is anyone using first curtain sync' to minimise pre-flash timing prior to the main flash in TTL mode?

I specifically bought the Leica flash thinking it would be easier to use (TTL) than Metz etc, but using the 24D is nowhere near as simple as e.g. a Canon TTL system. Am I being stupid?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help with these questions.

Does anyone have a quick recommendation for fill-flash setting using the 24D with the M8? Typical conditions are backlit 2-3 person half body shots.

Also, does anyone know if you can save a -1.5EV flash expsoure compensation so that this is the default setting every time the flash is powered up? I have to re-set it every time I use it and it's really sarting to do my nut.:mad:

Is anyone using first curtain sync' to minimise pre-flash timing prior to the main flash in TTL mode?

I specifically bought the Leica flash thinking it would be easier to use (TTL) than Metz etc, but using the 24D is nowhere near as simple as e.g. a Canon TTL system. Am I being stupid?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help with these questions.

My strong recommendation is to get a Leicagoodies SFILL soft box and use it 90% of the time. Although it is a bore to put on, it transforms the SF24D from a pretty useless tool to a reasonable flash. Mind you once you get an SF58, you would not want to go back. No I don't think you can save any settings, unlike the SF58, where you can.

Wilson

Many thanks for the quick response Wilson.

Why on Earth didn't they implement a "save" or "custom" setting??? Unbeleivable!

I'll experiment with some bubblewrap - I'm going to Ecuador next week and won't have time to accept the Leicagoodies postal order.:cool:

Wilson, do/did you use the 24D in TTL mode for fill falsh? If so, what are your usual settings? As you may appreciate, I picked up this flash at the last minute and have a very steep learning curve in front of me if I can expect to use it with any degree of reproducibility in the contrasty tropical sunshine....:rolleyes:

Many thanks for the quick response Wilson.

Why on Earth didn't they implement a "save" or "custom" setting??? Unbeleivable!

I'll experiment with some bubblewrap - I'm going to Ecuador next week and won't have time to accept the Leicagoodies postal order.:cool:

Wilson, do/did you use the 24D in TTL mode for fill falsh? If so, what are your usual settings? As you may appreciate, I picked up this flash at the last minute and have a very steep learning curve in front of me if I can expect to use it with any degree of reproducibility in the contrasty tropical sunshine....:rolleyes:

I did use the 24 in TTL/GNC for fill in flash. It would not be a good choice however. Pre SF58, I mainly used to use a Metz 40MZ-2 in auto mode to do this.

First I assume you are using this on an M8 or 9. If so, what you should do is go to the M8/9 menu and set slow speed sync to lens dependant. If you don't do this, then fill really does not work. I am not getting back to the UK until Friday afternoon but I could post you my SFILL as a loaner, since with my SF58 and a Sto-Fen soft box, I just don't use my SF24D now - would that reach you in time? You would also need to get some velcro Sticky Fixers as half the Velcro attachment system for the SFILL is on my 24. I think without the SFILL you will really struggle with fill, which is why Leicagoodies came up with it, the 24 is just too full frontal and brutal. Bubble wrap may work well enough. Try putting one layer of thin tissue paper between two layers of wrap as a diffusor.

Wilson

I did use the 24 in TTL/GNC for fill in flash. It would not be a good choice however.
'

Uh-oh! :eek:

It should have enough power for fill flash, so I assume it is just a question of fitting a good diffuser as you suggest.

First I assume you are using this on an M8 or 9. If so, what you should do is go to the M8/9 menu and set slow speed sync to lens dependant. If you don't do this, then fill really does not work.

Correct. Original M8. Max sync speed is 250, which I am quite pleased about. However, only my 35 cron is 6-bit coded. I have not yet had time to finish coding my CV15/4.5, but I intend to finish that job this Sunday. I haven't seen a need to code my CV75/2.5 or Canon 50/1.2 ltm for vignetting or colour correction, but it may be a wise move if it helps with TTL flash performance. I have so far only tried using the flash with the camera setting the slow sync speed down to 1/8th sec as it deems necessary. I thought this would allow me to "drag the shutter" and balance flash and ambient light, particularly indoors.

I am not getting back to the UK until Friday afternoon but I could post you my SFILL as a loaner, since with my SF58 and a Sto-Fen soft box, I just don't use my SF24D now - would that reach you in time?

It may reach me in time, maybe not... I don't want to put you to any trouble if it will be in vain. Thank you anyway for the very kind offer of a loan. I will experiment this afternoon with combinations of bubblewrap, the wide angle diffuser, and various layers of tissue paper. If I have no luck, you can expect a digital communication to race its way towards you as you fly over the white cliffs of Dover :D

Apart from the problem with the harshness of the flash, I've also noticed an extreme subject blur in photos of my 18 month old son as he runs towards me. In each case the flash has fired. I think the problem lies in my use of 1st curtain sync. Basically, the long exposure image of the sprinting toddler is super-imposed upon the sharp flash capture. I will experiment with 2nd curtain sync to lay the sharp flash image on top of the long exposure. Since I was not expecting any lateral movement of said toddler, I did not expect to see this slow-sync effect, but with hindsight I suppose the boy is growing in the frame as he sprints closer towards me and thus the shutter speed image of him is slightly larger than the flash image captured at the first curtain. Strange. I have never used 1st curtain sync on any other cameras before, but thought it worth a try with the SF24D to try to reduce the time between the distracting exposure-determining pre-flash and the real flash. Now I see that in situations with any rapid movement, first curtain sync is an all around bad idea. Again, I will try to confirm this later with more tests. I'll report back.

• 4 months later...
I just picked up a used SF 24D from KEH a couple days back, without the manual.

Would anyone be willing to share the PDF of the manual? Sure would appreciate it.

Thanks.

scott

PM sent to you.

Wilson

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For anyone else who needs a PDF copy of the SF24-D manual, I have now posted a copy on MobileMe from where you can download it. There is also a copy of the English manual for the Visoflex III, including the colour chart of the adapters.

Wilson

• Like 2