let's see your R

martin

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My heaviest Leica R equipment ............ Leica R8 with Digital-Modul-R and Apo-Telyt-R 1:5.6/800 on Gitzo Athena remote control tripod head

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14

Amoebahydra, I'm floored.  Do you have any images you'd can share taken with the R8 with Digital-Modul-R and Apo-Telyt-R 1:5.6/800 elsewhere within these Leica forums, or any other forums for that matter? 

Have you been able to use the Gitzo Athena remote tripod head?   

• Like 1

Image taken with Leica R8 with Digital-Modul-R and Apo-Telyt-R 1:5.6/800 .....................

• Like 6

Another image taken by Leica R8 with Digital-Modul-R and Apo-Telyt-R 1:5.6/800 ......................

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

My new acquisition. I bought it on a whim from a local E bay seller. (I've had the lens for years)

Very happy with its condition but what's the current thinking on the best battery option?

• Like 2

Looks lovely Peter, I have one the same.

For now I have been using what old mercuric batteries I have, but eventually I'll have to sort something out.

Perhaps take the battery out and just use it by guesswork?

Gotta be honest though, since finding a cost effective (cheap) R8 and 28-70, the poor SL has languished.

Gary

• Like 1

Thanks Gary. I'm considering one of these but I've heard mixed reviews.

Edited by sc_rufctr

Thanks Gary. I'm considering one of these but I've heard mixed reviews.

I use the CRIS MR9 adapter that has a voltage reducing diode, and it works very well with a 386 cell. The Wein zinc-air cells are available with an adapter built-on, but are a bit expensive. There are also adapters for hearing aid zinc-air cells that have the right voltage. I've used all types in my Leicaflex, M5, MR4 meters, etc, and all give good results.

The zinc-air cells have good capacity for constant usage, but will run dry in a year or so even without use once activated by air. The silver cells in adapters hold up better with time, but have less capacity for heavy use. Nothing has both the capacity and longevity of the old mercury cells.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have  realised I  have  few  more  pictures  to share , Two  Fours .

I  paid  very  little  for  the  R4   and  it  will  usually  work  on  M   , the   A   settings   are  normally   OK  though  can  lock  open   and  forget the  T  and  P  settings  , no  hope of  any life  there . A  shame  as it  is  anise  camera  to  handle  ,  fairly   compact  and  good  information  in the  viewfinder.  I have put the   16mm Elmarit  Fish  Eye    on it  . That is  a fun lens  to use  ,  but  do not  over  do it .

All is  not  lost  as  I  bought  an  R4s mod 2   which is   very  good. Similar  size  body  , easy  to  handle ,  and  it  works  !   Put  a   zoom on the  front  and  it  is  good for  a day  out  .  It has  the Sumicron  50  on it   which  is  very  versatile  ,  a lens   which   can be overlooked  on occasions. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

well now where there a little distance in both time and number of posts, I don't feel quite as intimidated by showing you all my Leica Family.

My first post with an image so I have no idea how it will turn out!  Please someone let me know which size and compression etc you people use to get those stunning images up on this site.

I have another branch of the family joining me shortly, but not in the R Family (M)

Preben

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Well, I haven't been keeping up with you all.  But last week I purchased an R7 to add to the R3 (also sent my Summarit-R 2.8/28 off to Allendale, NJ for some overhaul work).  Seems I wasn't paying attention though when I got the R4 Drive, as it doesn't have the grip contacts.

34732280302_6f2146c0b7_z.jpg

Leica R7 by P F McFarland, on Flickr

PF

Edited by PFM
  • Like 1

Well, I haven't been keeping up with you all.  But last week I purchased an R7 to add to the R3 (also sent my Summarit-R 2.8/28 off to Allendale, NJ for some overhaul work).  Seems I wasn't paying attention though when I got the R4 Drive, as it doesn't have the grip contacts.

34732280302_6f2146c0b7_z.jpg

Leica R7 by P F McFarland, on Flickr

PF

Very nice. I also bought an R7 about 18 months ago to use with a 28-90 Vario-Elmarit-R and 80-200 Vario-Elmar-M which I bought for use with my digital-M cameras & EVF.  Seemed a bit stupid having these lovely film lenses and no film camera with which to use them.  I then recently bought a 2.0/50 Summicron-R II to finish off the set.  

I'm very happy with the R7. It seems to get bypassed here in favour of earlier Rs or the R8/9.  Although better cameras, I decided against the R8/9 based on size, and that the R7 was so cheap that I'd be happy dumping it for a replacement should it break down. 

I had the option of buying a very nice R6.2 which, although a beautiful mechanical camera that will probably outlive the R7, is just less versatile for me by not having an aperture priority exposure setting (I tend not to use the other Auto/Prog settings on the R7). I considered both but I don't use it enough to justify a second R body.

David, thanks, it is helpful.

By the way, that 80-200/4 is a miracle. Photos taken with the lens attached on an old Canon 40D (1.6x cropping factor) at effective 320mm are unbelievably sharp with excellent colors. And we are talking about a 10MP sensor, so I imagine what the A7 produces.

Paul

The 80-200 was one of my most used lenses on the R8

Glad you still use it digital !