let's see your R

martin

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice set of gear.  Film is not dead and beautiful images can be had from all this equipment.   I'm not much of a user of a lens typically longer than 90mm, it's your normal or wider angles I admire.  I've been shooting with a 90mm for a good number of years and I haven't figured out how or when to get something with a wider angle.  Another words, I was thinking about getting a M film camera to take advantage of the newest of the normal to wider lens.  Since I'm really don't like to switch lens types on the go (in the middle of taking pictures) to me it's easier (and faster) to simply pick up another body with a different (wider) lens already attached when needed.   

All this time I've been thinking of the M, maybe it might be better to simply pick up another R and attach a wider lens to that.  So maybe I might be better off simply getting a wider R lens where I should probably simply "bite the bullet" and just do the switch of lenses on the field.  Again though, that takes time.  See?  This is where I've been conflicted. 

Though I say I really love my R9 and my APO-Summicron-R 90mm f/2 ASPH.  If and when I finally get a wider lens (possibly for the R,) I want to pick up the best performing lens either a 35mm or 28mm.  I think I read it was either the 24mm or 28mm that was the better performer.  Though it's hard for me to choose that when I know there had been advances with the wider of the M lenses. 

See, conflicted! 

Thank you!

I also own a M6 and like you, would rather reach for another body rather than switch lenses.  I find myself most often set up with a normal or wide lens (21/2.8, 35/1.4, 50/2) on my M6 as it's a lot smaller and more convenient when getting close up.  However, there's always exceptions to that rule and my 35/1.4 and 19/2.8 do get brought out, just not as often.  The 80 and 100 see most action on the R6.2.  Of course, being gigantic, the longer lenses for the R are usually brought out with a specific task in mind and don't conflict with my wider M glass.  

I unfortunately don't have too much experience with the 28 or 24's as I opted for the 35 & 21/19 options.  I have only heard good things about them, though.  However, having used both 35/1.4's, they're amazing.  

I don't think you can go wrong either way unless you're shooting test charts.

Edit:

Only M lens competing with the 80&100 is the 75 'lux as I don't have the equivalent focal length for the M6.

Edited by michaelh

• 4 weeks later...

I sold my beloved R9 (utterly mint) last spring and desperately missed it. So, having been through Sony A7R and Canon 5DS set ups I'm now doing more b&w film work so couldn't resist and got this very nice R9 for a bargain on EBay.

It has the 100mm 2.8 Macro attached with the Elpro behind it and the 35-70mm f4 peaking out behind the M4 - which seems better than the 35-70mm f3.5 I had before. The lens on the macro rail is the 100mm f4 which is now surplus given how fantastic the 2.8 is - perhaps the best lens I've ever had.

The picture is a bit iffy, ironically, as the only digital 'camera' I have now is an iPad! And it's hard to get close to the cupboard due to a heavy reclining chair.

I wonder if any brand captures the affections and loyalty quite like Leica. This is probably an extreme reaction for what are, basically, tools (but I'd bet others share it!) but I get butterflies opening the cabinet and taking out the one I'm going to use. I love the R9 as much as the M4, and that is saying a lot.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by DG Hawkes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually, it looks worse than I thought! So, chair shifted here's a better view of the lovely thing. How did it ever get christened as the Hunchback of Solms? First time I saw one I loved it, and I vividly remember sitting, bored, as a kid in secondary school drawing the Leicaflex in my jotter - can still almost see the sketches and the blue covered book in my mind's eye 40 years on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Actually, it looks worse than I thought! So, chair shifted here's a better view of the lovely thing. How did it ever get christened as the Hunchback of Solms? First time I saw one I loved it, and I vividly remember sitting, bored, as a kid in secondary school drawing the Leicaflex in my jotter - can still almost see the sketches and the blue covered book in my mind's eye 40 years on.

Nice display.

Kid you not, short of commissioning my own at unspecified price it took me over two years to find the right display cabinet to meet size and desired material overall effect, maybe we ought to start a new thread - "Show Your Display Cabinet (with goodies on board)".

Edited by mmradman
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ha, thanks! It's actually just a DfS jobbie - a 3 column book case with 2 cupboards and 4 central draws in the base unit below the shelves - full of slides, negatives, and camera magazines. The books are gradually getting moved elsewhere as it's taken over by the cameras (I got fed up of them being hidden inside various bags) and lenses. I fear I have the collector's gene as several others are now take up by my fossil and ancient artefacts stuff! Another dangerously expensive addiction.

• 5 weeks later...

Nice display.

Kid you not, short of commissioning my own at unspecified price it took me over two years to find the right display cabinet to meet size and desired material overall effect, maybe we ought to start a new thread - "Show Your Display Cabinet (with goodies on board)".

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/255296-how-to-display-cameras-accessories/

• 3 weeks later...

did you use the Petzval on a Leica?

regards

dierk

• 2 months later...

My first R! Going to start building a set of R lenses, looking for a 50mm and 28mm next. Seems like eBay is the only reliable source to find these lenses? I got these two items from a local camera shop for a great deal, but I'd be hard pressed to find another deal.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I  like  the  silver   chrome   bodies. 

Keep  in touch   with local  camera    stores   to  see  what   shows  up , ask  around.  Where    do  other   people  buy  there  equipment ?  Here  in the  UK  there  are  some  very  good  mail order   shops ,  there  must  be  some in  the  US .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's my R5 in its current state, with Gordy's strap and a Gariz soft release. (I used the black one, because the red doesn't match with the other red accents..)

• Like 1

And here she is with her family of lenses :)

Elmarit-R 28 and 135

And Summicron-R 50 and 90

Should I find the hang of film again, I might add a Summicron 35 and an Elmarit 180mm to the mix someday.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

My Leica R3 safari ....................

• Like 2

My R lenses ....................

• Like 7