Leicameter MR

roguewave

Most photographers needs too much time with metering....

"There is nothing boring per se with good exposures, but there are no surprises either! Sometimes I find that we are obsessed with correctly exposed shots and that achiving these takes to much time (fiddling with aperture rings and speed dials) rather than shoot "now". It sometimes is akin to "chimping" the digital. Far to often you see digital shooters staring at the back of the camera, whilst the really good shots are happening in front of them!'

Tom Abrahamsson

Flickr: Photos from T&T and Mr B

RapidWinder.com Home

Coming back to the original question - when I bought my M3, the shop owner recommended not to remove the Leicameter, since most top plates of the M3 are scratched, he said he even saw some bent ones (someone might have forgotten to unlock the wheel?). I didn't follow this advice but try to be careful.

Maybe it is good practice to keep both surfaces clean and attach some tape to the bottom of the Leicameter in case it isn't padded.

Coming back to the original question - when I bought my M3, the shop owner recommended not to remove the Leicameter, since most top plates of the M3 are scratched, he said he even saw some bent ones (someone might have forgotten to unlock the wheel?). I didn't follow this advice but try to be careful.

Maybe it is good practice to keep both surfaces clean and attach some tape to the bottom of the Leicameter in case it isn't padded.

I always had the base of the Leicameter covered with the white price tag labels which are easy to come by, thinner than most tape and the goo doesn't seem to leak out round the edges!

Gerry

During my pre-M6 and M7 days, I used to stick small felt pads on my Leicameter. I never scratched any of the M's that had one attached and the meters were often taken off to be replaced with an accessory viewfinder....

Best,

Jan

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 7 months later...
It is often the case that due to age and/or corrosion, some older CdS meters designed to function with 1,3v will have "self-adjusted" to where a 1,5v will give passable results, at least through part of the metering range. True re-calibration requires adjustment of both potentiometers (low and high range), otherwise the metering isn't linear (i.e. it is accurate at one end of the brightness range but increasingly inaccurate toward the other end.)

"Checking the readings at the low, mid and high ends of the brightness range, I have found no variation between the following (voltages tested on a meter)":

Leica Forum: Interesting Update on Leicameter MR-4

• 1 year later...

I'm resurrecting this only because I don't want to start another thread.

I have a MR4 meter with a Weinn zinc cell. I can't seem to get any readings out of it even though the needle is moving. When I try the battery test it says that the battery is ok and the needle moves all the way to the other side. But when I try to take an exposure reading, the needles goes back to zero. I tried it different speeds and ISO settings and still the same results.

Any help would be great.

Hi

The good news is its very probably just the take a reading switch contacts are contaminated, a recurring problem with these meters 30+ ears ago.

If you google MR meter + problem etc. you should be able to get dismantle and repair instructions - it only needs small screwdrivers and switch contact cleaner, but don't be tempted to do more as the contacts are not designed to me mishandled.

If you are not confident a good camera repair person should fix easily...

Noel

Spot-on Joop! A general impression of light is all that is needed and the 'look-down' feature of the MR meter makes shooting from the hip (or the pot-belly in my case) easy and fast.

Yours,

R. Morrison, M4-P (with MR)

• 6 years later...

Just a reminder that the meter's owners are responsible for a lot of ugly scratches on top of the camera and they can be obviated! Look at the meter's shoe. There are adjustment screws to align the meter properly and they also keep it from touching the top of the camera. Do that and be happy.

I don't know why the manufacturer did not preset those adjustments. (The manufacturer was not Leica).

Edited by pico

• 3 weeks later...

The MR as a meter works great and can be easily repaired too... There was a whole article about that in the one of last year's Leica Society magazines.

The Wein cells are useless and never last long; purchase the battery adapter and you can use standard cells.

For quick metering when you are unsure the MR is a great little meter to bring you in the ballpark.

I think it should in principle even fit the new M-A as well...should you ever purchase one.