I Love My M6!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Very nice Dirk (and that's a brilliant pencil, btw)

br

Philip

Thanks Philip - it's the Leica M of pencils really … and like with Leica M gear, once you used one, you can't stop using them and getting more of them ;-) It's a pity though that the company didn't make it :-(

• 3 weeks later...

Can you share the type?..

looking for a pencil myself, the M of pencils sounds good...

It is a German made rOtring 600 lead pencil.

These are best bought on eBay or from collectors nowadays (they are not manufactured any more).

Unfortunately the German rOtring company has been acquired (and shortly after closed) in the 1990's.

This US website if from the now owners of the brand and patents, which offer similar looking pencils.

They are unfortunately not the same ;-(

There is a big cult around the original rOtring 600 pencils with second hand prices of German made originals soaring.

For anyone who simply likes the design, these later productions offered new for a relatively low price are ok, real rOtring pencils they are not ;-(

• Like 1

For anyone who simply likes the design, these later productions offered new for a relatively low price are ok, real rOtring pencils they are not ;-(

Presumably a contemporary Rotring 600 uses the same lead as a "made in Germany" example and draws the same lines or is it like the situation with Leica cameras where a brass-geared "adjusted-to-fit-build" M4 always takes better photographs than a steel-geared, made in Portugal, MP?

As an aside, I don't know whether this tendency towards creating a cult around everyday objects and tools is some kind of modern competitive disease (the need to appear more discerning than the next person) or simply a symptom of Western decadence (as if these one-time objects of usefulness have become some kind of golden calf)? In admiring a black paint M4 or something like that I'm not immune from it myself but I'm increasingly finding the focus on the tool rather than the application of it (admiring the craftsmanship of the brushes and the exotic quality of the oil paint rather than admiring the art) rather tiresome.

Edited by wattsy

... As an aside, I don't know whether this tendency towards creating a cult around everyday objects and tools is some kind of modern competitive disease (the need to appear more discerning than the next person) or simply a symptom of Western decadence (as if these one-time objects of usefulness have become some kind of golden calf)? In admiring a black paint M4 or something like that I'm not immune from it myself but I'm increasingly finding the focus on the tool rather than the application of it (admiring the craftsmanship of the brushes and the exotic quality of the oil paint rather than admiring the art) rather tiresome.

I don't think this kind of behaviour is very new. I have been told by my son that swords and knives by certain masters used to be much sought after and command very impressive prices.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One should be able to differentiate between the tool and the product. Anyone can acquire the tool and enjoy it. It is not necessary to be expert in its use to appreciate it.

OTOH, what it can produce in the hands of an expert is something else, to be admired independently. Work I produce with my Leica 111f all too frequently seems to surpass what I produce with my Leica M9, or even my Hasselblad 203FE etc.

Both the tool and the product deserve separate admiration IMO. So be it. I can enjoy both.

• Like 2

Presumably a contemporary Rotring 600 uses the same lead as a "made in Germany" example and draws the same lines or is it like the situation with Leica cameras where a brass-geared "adjusted-to-fit-build" M4 always takes better photographs than a steel-geared, made in Portugal, MP?

As an aside, I don't know whether this tendency towards creating a cult around everyday objects and tools is some kind of modern competitive disease (the need to appear more discerning than the next person) or simply a symptom of Western decadence (as if these one-time objects of usefulness have become some kind of golden calf)? In admiring a black paint M4 or something like that I'm not immune from it myself but I'm increasingly finding the focus on the tool rather than the application of it (admiring the craftsmanship of the brushes and the exotic quality of the oil paint rather than admiring the art) rather tiresome.

I think you guys misunderstood this a bit.

To understand my point about the 600 pens, check out the story about the demise of the German rOtring company.

The story reads very much like the story about Leica.

Use what ever pen works for you (I do the same) and that's it. I am just lucky enough that I have a little collection of German rOtring pens from the time before my first job and all of them are still soldiering on.

Maybe my wording "cult" came with the wrong preloaded negative meaning, immediately glazing anything about a pen with negative vibes ;-)

I like rOtring pens (wouldn't personally buy one from the new brand owners for how they have turned history, but rather use a BIG ball pen or any other well working piece).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

it's all a head game, but who cares if you produce better with what is in your hand than something that is functionally the same thing. You can write the same with a standard #2 pencil as you can with a high end fountain pen. A Bessema or Zeiss RF will produce the same picture with a Leica lens as an MP or M6 or Mwhatever. My personal line is owning to collect, but if owning a black pain ostrich covered M6 makes you take better pictures, who cares as long as you understand it is how it makes you feel when using it -- and that is the critical (o me) differentiator, using it!!!!!

• Like 1

From the guy who started the "I love my M-A" thread ;)

There is certainly competition, but its more the enjoyment of using a tool.

I returned the X-T1 because I thought the rear and front wheels were cheap and nasty to use. Pretty shallow huh!. But its important to me. Also why I liked the X100S more then the X100T. The left screen buttons on the X100T IMHO are cheap, nasty and difficult to press. The buttons on the X100S were lovely. 2 steps forward and 1 step back ....

The reason I like shooting the M6/M7/MP is due to the build and workflow. Tried a, AE-1, EOS 10, EOS 5, 801, 601, etc. but didn't like them very much.

I am also interested in peoples modifications, wacky cases and custom bits. But I will be the first to admit I'm far from normal :)

My first Leica. One owner from new. All original boxes and paperwork. The owner told me he only put 5 rolls through it before deciding it wasn't for him. It's like new. Very happy.

21948004174_bda7b7b086_b.jpgCamera Roll-2283 by -Captures...Moments....Forever-

"Very Happy" ........ You have every right to be, that is one beautiful M6 TTL and the 50 Elmar-M is a fabulous little gem :p

Go out, shoot some film, have fun ..... I'm sure you will ;)

Kind regards,  Simon

• Like 4

From the guy who started the "I love my M-A" thread ;)

Well, I did say (in the piece you quoted) that I'm not immune from it. I have no doubt that I am a Leica fanboy at heart (I also like other well designed, well made, simple products) but I do think I keep that separate from my use of my cameras as tools for photography. It also doesn't mean that I can't regret the tendency nowadays to focus on the tools rather than the application. 

• Like 1

"Very Happy" ........ You have every right to be, that is one beautiful M6 TTL and the 50 Elmar-M is a fabulous little gem :p

Go out, shoot some film, have fun ..... I'm sure you will ;)

Kind regards,  Simon

thanks Simon. Just waiting for some decent weather. (I keep just holding it) :)

• 3 weeks later...

I bought this body yesterday (already had the lens). I, too, am happy...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9