I Love My M6!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just recently added a 1995 Leica M6 to our Leica collection (Leica 0, IIIF, X1, X2, M8, M9, MM, 2x240, MP Olive) with the excuse that my daughter need a Film Camera for their Spring 2015 Photography Classes, and I need to say that love the Quality, weight and feeling of this model. I Love my/her M6 !!!

Any idea/suggestion how to get the white color/paint of Leica M6 letter back to an original & bright white ?

Congrats on the M6 - great choice!

Regarding fill paint renewal - this is unfortunately an ever returning issue both with paint fills on lenses and camera bodies.

Here is one of the old threads discussing the issue with some advice included:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/198931-m9-paint-failure.html

Generally Leica will renew such paint fillings when the product is in for service, which you likely will not need at the moment.

Self made solutions include: removing the old paint with a toothpick (usually it crumbles easily), preparing the surface (cleaning) and then either use a wax based stick product or proper paint, applied with a syringe and needle.

Which products to use can be found in those threads (I don't do this myself, as I prefer the paint to be removed myself).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had a great brassed M6TTL that I sold 4 years ago, lived fine without it but now it is time to get another one so I found a decent one for a good price. I just ordered black griptac for it and will send it in to DAG right away to have a CLA, MP RF patch upgrade & black Leica logo. Anyone know of where I can find the slotted version of the battery cap for not an obnoxious amount of money?

Now to get a 35 Lux Asph....I can't wait!

Edited by KM-25

I had a great brassed M6TTL that I sold 4 years ago, lived fine without it but now it is time to get another one so I found a decent one for a good price. I just ordered black griptac for it and will send it in to DAG right away to have a CLA, MP RF patch upgrade & black Leica logo. Anyone know of where I can find the slotted version of the battery cap for not an obnoxious amount of money?

Now to get a 35 Lux Asph....I can't wait!

Ask Don Goldberg, if he can help you out.

They usually sell for 50-60 USD officially.

Good shop owners who do regular business with you will give them away for free.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ask Don Goldberg, if he can help you out.

They usually sell for 50-60 USD officially.

Good shop owners who do regular business with you will give them away for free.

Yep, we have been talking, he's onboard.

I actually have been trying to get the one in the photo back but it seems to have passed through too way many hands so I will build it again from a stock model on up...it will take years of hard use to get patina like this again though...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by KM-25
  • Like 3

Pretty M6 it is, pity you sold it.

I'm still on the trail to finding it and have a really good lead now...who knows, it might turn up and I can trade a MP finder upgraded M6TTL straight across for it.

Fingers crossed...

• Like 1

The M6TTL is a very underrated camera IMO. I started off with one and, frankly, wish I'd stuck with it rather than "upgrade" far too many times over the years.

I have worked with the M3, M6 and MP3 and in terms of just getting right down to work with a camera, the M6 was faultless. I took delivery of a nice M6TTL last night, the thing was born ready!

• Like 1

The only thing I do not love about my M6 is the finder flare in strong backlight.

Should mine ever need work done, I make sure to have the viewfinder optics upgraded.

There is no other flaw to a M6.

Yep, mine is going in next week to have that done...and the little black logo of course ( yep, I had to start all over again, lol )

• Like 1

Well, here goes:

● Leica M6 (non TTL) from 1998

● Leica Summicron-M 35 mm f/2, Version IV (11311) from 1995 (Made in Germany, not Canada)

● Leica Metal Vented Hood 12504

Luigi's Silky Deluxe Strap (gentle and soft if you have the camera around your neck for a whole day)

Wonderful, wonderful items, all of them, which i'm very fond of. Maybe not so beautiful aesthetically [black body] - [silver lens] - [black hood] - [brown/white strap] but i don't mind the look, since it was bought for use and not for the look.

In the right hands, it sure can capture some haunting images, even though it's a strange, colorful combination. 95% of the time it's loaded with the classical Kodak Tri-X.

The camera and lens are in a very good shape, and i hope they will serve me for many more years to come.

Edited by BjarniM
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...

So this is my street photography M6 with its usual Summicron 50mm and Ilford XP2. The extra lens is a Summicron 35mm which came with...

...the recently acquired second M6 body which is to be used for landscape and portrait work, hence the Ilford Delta 100. The lens fitted to M6 number two is an Elmarit 28mm which is plenty wide enough for now. The second body also came with an Elmarit 90mm so I'm pretty much set.

Shame my landscapes and portraits remain resolutely shite. And street.

Oh and how do I find the M6s? Both are non-TTL classics, and yes the speed dial is a bit too small, far too stiff, and turns the wrong bloody way. And the rewind crank spins its way merrily back half way through a rewind. Oh, and loading a film is trickier than it should be. Everything else is mechanical perfection, so you know what, I'll stick with the M6s.

Never yet seen a hint of finder flare, by the way.

Ric

Edited by Guest

Newly CLA'd M6TTL, MP flare free RF, 90 & 135mm frame lines removed, super griptac a-licious. Now she's officially part of the family....

• Like 7

The back. I love this camera, so fun!

• Like 2