UV/IR filter for Leica Summicron-C 40mm

gmaurizio

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had DAG take an old screw-in rubber hood made for the 90mm-C Elmar, cut down the length of the rubber hood, then weld in a 39mm threading facing out. He put in an old piece of UV glass and the thin retaining ring. Then I took a 39mm UV/IR fliter out of its mount and replaced the glass into the hood. This is a very effective filter/hood combination for the M8.

That is what I was thinking about the hood, just to get a 39mm screw in one.

It's weird, because I had read before that the Leica filters will screw in part way, but my UV/IR just wouldn't take at all. More than one B+W fit snugly, no problem... bizarre!

Thanks!

Ben

• 9 months later...

I know I'm late with this thread, but here is my 2 cents.

When I bought my Cron-C 40 i put a 39mm UV/IR filter on it and screwed the hood on the filter and since then anything is Ok and firm. I used it extensively, always hanging on my side with a Y-Strap, and nothing weird happened, filter and hood are always in their place.

I sometimes thought I could sell all my lenses and just keep this little gem.

But in the end, I love them all.

P.S.

You guys should try the other one, the Elmar-C 90/4. Another light and sharp little guy.

I found that the 39mm B&W IR/UV filter screws into the standard 5.5 series 40mm Summicron, but don't force it since the threads may cross or spall.

I also found that the standard 5.5 series collapsible rubber hood made by Leitz/Leica threads all the way into the B&W filter very securely with no resistance.

But, since the filter is held to the lens by a few threads due to the different thread pitch, it would be a good idea to fix a lanyard from the rubber hood to the camera strap in the event that the filter wants to come loose from the lens barrel.

I found that it is a non-problem.

After waiting for months for a serie 5.5 filter I decided to go for the grinding solution of a

E39 filter. So I bought a Heliopan uv/ir E39 filter. After removing the glass out of the holder I noticed to my surprice that the glass fitted without any grinding.

I just needed a rubber ring to make it fit tight into the sunshade. Perfect solution!

Co Morriën

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am having a Leitz 5.5 p/n 11251 machined to accept the standard Leica 39mm filters including the IR/UV. I'll not say who is doing it until I get it back and try it. If it works, I'll tell you all about it. And if it works, it will be the most cost effective secure method of adapting these filters to the 40mm Summicron C.

If you know the size of the O-ring you want, you can get anything from McMaster-Carr (McMaster-Carr). This is a great source for all sorts of parts and tools. The O-rings can be searched by material, shape, thickness, inside diameter, and outside diameter.

Unfortunately, you'll have to buy a package of 10 or 50, depending on the ring. But if a few people can figure out how to share a package, you can mail two or three O-rings in a one ounce letter. (A confession: I bought a package of 50 to replace the missing (oxidized) O-ring on the bottom of a Gitzo tripod center column. Mailed a bunch to people who needed them so I didn't feel so silly for spending twelve or fifteen dollars for a package of O-rings.)

I am having a Leitz 5.5 p/n 11251 machined to accept the standard Leica 39mm filters including the IR/UV. I'll not say who is doing it until I get it back and try it. If it works, I'll tell you all about it. And if it works, it will be the most cost effective secure method of adapting these filters to the 40mm Summicron C.

Would be interesting to compare it with mine. 100% DIY but needs a bit of grinding though.

One just needs:

- a 39mm UV-IR Leica filter (#13410)

- a Leica hood #12518 dedicated to the 'cron 40/2

- a 37mm rubber ring

- a pin and a die grinder

1. Grind the filter housing of the hood in order to enlarge its inner diameter to 37mm:

3473209897_68104f643e_o.jpg

2. Remove the blocking ring of the filter with a pin or same:

3474018830_66d5c8935b_o.jpg

3. Insert the glass into the filter housing:

3474019168_2fd9388899_o.jpg

4. Insert the rubber ring over the glass:

3474019472_f9a3153bf9_o.jpg

5. Screw-in the hood and that's all.

Edited by lct

• 1 year later...
Thank you for the advice. Do you think is it a good idea if i glue the B+W 39mm UV/IR filter on top of the rubber hood is a good idea? will it have vignette or effecting the image?

Those hoods are difficult to find out second hand so i would not glue anything on them. No vignetting problem with crop bodies (R-D1, M8). With full frames i don't know but you can always choose (or cut out) a slimmer rubber ring if need be.

Those hoods are difficult to find out second hand so i would not glue anything on them. No vignetting problem with crop bodies (R-D1, M8). With full frames i don't know but you can always choose (or cut out) a slimmer rubber ring if need be.

i got an idea. i just tried it, with the rubber hood pulled up. i am able to fit in a 46mm size filter nicely and firmly inside the rubber hood. Do you guys think it is a good idea to stuck in a 46mm filter there? will it effect the image quality by moving the UV/IR filter a bit far from the lens? or it will cause some vignetting? Does anybody have a 46mm filter + the rubber lens hood + a M8 to try it? My M8 still on the way, just need to buy a UV/IR filter for my 40mm Summicron-C. With the 46mm filter on, i could use any third party 46mm Lens cap on it, because i'm missing a lens cap too. Thank you.

Edited by bboynic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Thanks Ict for your idea! I decided I would try to keep the hood intact and to work on the filter glass instead. I just took out the glass Leica filter and with a small sander, a 150 grid paper it took just a few minutes for it to 'click' into place. No need for rings or glue, just take the filter in your hand  and slowly turn it while sanding the egdes. This way it stays nice and round and if you take just a bit of with a little pressure it stays perfectly in place.

qq4xw1.jpg

• Like 1

Some questions...

Are there any disadvantages in using this filter permanently on the M8?

I thought I noticed a little light loss.i

The thinner IR filter supposedly improves the pictures in B/W, so I thought about keeping it of when shooting B/W.

The only reason you put it on the M8 is in colour photography the magenta/purple colour and greens going yellowish because of IR contamination right?

So no need I would say?

Also, now with this IR cut filter installed, how does the M8 compare to other camera's out there?

Is it still more sensitive to IR or is it now like other digital bodies?

Edited by Naampje

I use a B&W 39mm filter directly on the lens and the lens shade screwed into the filter. It may not be a perfect match but it's tight enough, completely secure

Be careful not to exert any force. The threads are a different pitch and when tightened may bind or sustain damage.