For M-D ; Lightroom preset to emulate 240 in-camera JPG

miro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm considering purchase of the M-D , for what it doesn't offer . :)

But I'd like to simplify the post processing of the .dng only files .

Is there a Lightroom preset that would enable me to bach process M-D files to look like 240/262 jpegs ?

Miro,

I own a 262 (not MD) and a 240.

I gett great jpegs with the neutral DNG profile of capture one, but I have no idea if the non MD 262 makes the same dng as the MD.

M240 and M262 are slightly different somewhere inside and make different DNG files.

DNG profiles of both C1 and Lightroom made for the 240 make over saturated jpegs when converting the DNG files of the 262

For 262 I always use the neutral profile.

Ask your dealer to give you a DNG from an MD so you can judge yourself.

Edited by Fgcm
  • Like 1

It's the same sensor in all 3 of the cameras you named here. Wouldn't all of the files be identical straight out of the camera?

John, I have no cue about the sensor of the 262, but for sure it's DNG are different from those of the 240 and cannot be converted with the same profiles in C1 and Lightroom.

I don not care to know who is the maker of the sensor, but I prefer the colors of the 262.

Leica wizards did something very good with the 262

I don't remember if I posted these before.... Three versions of an image using the embedded, adobe standard, and color checker corrected (for sunlight) profiles out of lightroom for my M 262.  I think the M-D will have similar results.   The embedded and corrected profiles differ slightly in the reds.  The Adobe profile lightens up the blues.

Using the Leica embedded profile:

p-embedded.jpg

Using the Adobe Standard profile:

p-adobe.jpg

Using the Color checker corrected profile:

p-corrected.jpg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The problem is that the raw image that comes out of the M-D looks poor because no jpeg conversion has been applied.  Here is what I do with my M-D that doesn't have jpegs.  On import, I run a preset that performs Lens Auto Correct and Auto Tone.  Then, when I review the images and select the ones I choose to work, I run a preset that undoes these settings.  Then I start my workflow from scratch.

For me, this gives me a good image to use to make my selections.

I appreciate any other ideas you folks may have.

What you are looking at in lightroom is the converted raw data. Your computer could not produce an image without interpolation etc.

The trick is to take a representative image, possibly of a colour chart, tweak that to you liking and save the settings as the default.

• Like 1

What you are looking at in lightroom is the converted raw data. Your computer could not produce an image without interpolation etc.

The trick is to take a representative image, possibly of a colour chart, tweak that to you liking and save the settings as the default.

Yes, of course...   Thanks for clarifying.  I do like your suggestion and will try it as well.

I see that Thorsten von Overgaard has an ebook for the M-D262 with presets for Lightroom specially made for this model available for pre-order .

I wasn't aware an ebook seems required to use this wonderful camera. I guess I was just lucky  :p