SL locked up totally, had to leave battery out for 24 hours, losing profiles

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yesterday my SL locked up completely. An image was showing on the LCD of what was in front of the lens but no buttons or controls were functional. I popped the battery and waited one minute before reinserting a newly charged battery. Still nothing. I removed and remounted the lens and also removed and reinserted both cards - no improvement. On the camera from time to time, the writing LED would illuminate for a few seconds and then go out. Prior to arranging for the camera to be picked up under the professional photographer scheme, I thought I would just leave the battery out for 24 hours. One day later it sprang to life on re-inserting the battery but had lost all profiles. As I was not doing something like updating firmware, I did not have a set of profiles saved to either of the SD cards, so I have had to re-create them from memory. I did have them saved on a laptop but I have since replaced that laptop and as the new one had a somewhat smaller SSD, I had had to limit how much data I saved on it. The 1TB 2016 Touchbar 15.4" MBP's were only available to special order with a 6 week lead time, against the 500GB models, where I even got a significant discount from my usual dealer in London. 

I hope this is not an indication of a problematic camera to look forward to. This is the sort of thing my M8 used to do, until its electronic suite was replaced while the upgrade was being done. 

Wilson

Yesterday my SL locked up completely. An image was showing on the LCD of what was in front of the lens but no buttons or controls were functional. I popped the battery and waited one minute before reinserting a newly charged battery. Still nothing. I removed and remounted the lens and also removed and reinserted both cards - no improvement. On the camera from time to time, the writing LED would illuminate for a few seconds and then go out. Prior to arranging for the camera to be picked up under the professional photographer scheme, I thought I would just leave the battery out for 24 hours. One day later it sprang to life on re-inserting the battery but had lost all profiles. As I was not doing something like updating firmware, I did not have a set of profiles saved to either of the SD cards, so I have had to re-create them from memory. I did have them saved on a laptop but I have since replaced that laptop and as the new one had a somewhat smaller SSD, I had had to limit how much data I saved on it. The 1TB 2016 Touchbar 15.4" MBP's were only available to special order with a 6 week lead time, against the 500GB models, where I even got a significant discount from my usual dealer in London. 

I hope this is not an indication of a problematic camera to look forward to. This is the sort of thing my M8 used to do, until its electronic suite was replaced while the upgrade was being done. 

Wilson

I had such a freeze-up only once in the field with a corrupt sd card in slot 2. The same symptoms as your camera, battery change helped nothing. Without sd card and pausing for 5 minutes figuring out what to do everything went smoothly again, though no profiles lost. i then used only the sd card in slot 1. At home sd card in slot 1 proved to be corrupt, went directly to the trash.

just my 2 cents

Gerhard

• Like 1

I think it is possible that there was some dirt on the contacts of SD card #1 ( A Lexar 1000x UHS II 128GB card). I have cleaned the contacts of both cards with IPA (Not the Greene King Beer). I am currently in the south of France not the UK so taking to Bruton Street not easy. If it happens again, I will get it picked up for return to Wetzlar. I have had problems with the Lexar cards and floppy read lock switches but have super glued them in the read unlocked position. 

Wilson

My SD cards occasionally get accidentally locked (clumsy fingers), but the SL tells me immediately what the problem is - it hasn't frozen..

Paul, 

I would agree that there is a message when the read/write lock switch gets knocked when inserting. This happened very easily on the Lexar cards compared with SanDisk, where the sliders are quite stiff. However I have super glued the slider on all my Lexar cards in the write position. There were no error messages when I got the lock up. It still seems to be behaving properly, so I am tending towards thinking it was a dirty card contact, which would explain the write LED flicking on and off. 

Wilson

I did all that but it was not until I left the battery out for 24 hours that it rebooted. I am slightly surprised that the profiles seem to be stored in volatile memory, since I assume this is why they were lost. If they are stored in non-volatile memory, it is worrying that some set of circumstances wiped them. I have now stored a set of my profiles off the camera in my laptop, Dropbox and back up server.