Underwater Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just wrote a 1,000 word review of my experience with taking my Q into the open ocean in Hawaii, but I backspaced my page and lost the entire thing. 

A 17-day work and fun trip to Hawaii had me hankering to take a plunge and I decided to give this pouch a try.   It seems almost tailor made for the Q.   https://www.dicapacusa.com/product-page/wp-s3

It fits almost perfectly inside (even with a filter on) and most of the button and dials control are accessible.  The AF and aperture rings are not.  It's a simple seal top / velcro and roll down system.  Very easy to use.

I tested things twice with paper towels inside, and dunking the pac into a full sink of water.  Flawless.. not even a droplet inside.  

I tested one more time once I got to Hawaii to guard against any expansion / contraction during travels there.  No problems.

On dive day, I was as excited about taking the Q for a swim as for what I was about to experience.  

I set auto shutter and aperture and the LCD to always on.  The dive master told me his usual ISO for his Canon Mark-whatever.. and in we went.  

I'm happy to report that this DiCAPac worked flawlessly.  Everyone and everything survived without incident.

The Q's shutter was easy to trigger, all back buttons were easily accessible and could have been tweaked.

A few days later we caught up with an army of dolphins..  

Pretty rad stuff.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

I just wrote a 1,000 word review of my experience with taking my Q into the open ocean in Hawaii, but I backspaced my page and lost the entire thing.

A 17-day work and fun trip to Hawaii had me hankering to take a plunge and I decided to give this pouch a try. It seems almost tailor made for the Q. https://www.dicapacusa.com/product-page/wp-s3

It fits almost perfectly inside (even with a filter on) and most of the button and dials control are accessible. The AF and aperture rings are not. It's a simple seal top / velcro and roll down system. Very easy to use.

I tested things twice with paper towels inside, and dunking the pac into a full sink of water. Flawless.. not even a droplet inside.

I tested one more time once I got to Hawaii to guard against any expansion / contraction during travels there. No problems.

On dive day, I was as excited about taking the Q for a swim as for what I was about to experience.

I set auto shutter and aperture and the LCD to always on. The dive master told me his usual ISO for his Canon Mark-whatever.. and in we went.

I'm happy to report that this DiCAPac worked flawlessly. Everyone and everything survived without incident.

The Q's shutter was easy to trigger, all back buttons were easily accessible and could have been tweaked.

A few days later we caught up with an army of dolphins..

Pretty rad stuff.

Wow. Congratulations. I think you're the first on this forum to use the Q underwater. First I've seen anyway. Really cool pics. You certainly took good precautions to ensure its dry. The enclosure would solve anyone's concern about water protection in rainy environments too.

During my last visits to Wetzlar, I expressed the wish to obtain a Leica Q, which would be just as waterproof as the Leica XU.
One could take photos in rain and snow or when sailing much more carefree than with a normal Leica.

Wow. Congratulations. I think you're the first on this forum to use the Q underwater. First I've seen anyway. Really cool pics. You certainly took good precautions to ensure its dry. The enclosure would solve anyone's concern about water protection in rainy environments too.

I read earlier that someone else did use their Q underwater, but it was unintentional :)