Question about the Q's EVF.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Actually two questions.

First, I find the color in the viewfinder to be very blue. Is there any way to adjust that?

Second, after years of using Sony cameras, including the RX1, I have come to rely heavily upon the live histogram for determining correct exposure. However, I am having difficulty doing the same with the Q. In auto-ISO mode, the histogram changes very little as I adjust the EV compensation dial up or down, while brightness of the image does change. Why is this so, and does this mean that I must pay more attention to image brightness than the histogram?

Rob

You might want to take a read through this previous thread on the same topic. In a nutshell, you probably don't want to be using what you see through the viewfinder as a guide for the correct exposure.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/267790-lets-talk-about-the-evf/

Thanks for the link. I must say that a real disappointment. So many of the reviews of the Q that I had read raved about the wonderful EVF. That may be true in terms of resolution, but not in terms of how the image is presented to the user. Somehow, I missed the memo that it was not so wonderful after all. One would think that this problem could be fixed in firmware, but either it cannot or Leica chooses not to do so.

Another annoyance of the EVF is that whenever the EV dial is adjusted, the histogram disappears from view. The only way to reactivate it is to depress the shutter button half way. This really slows down the process of setting exposure.

Rob

I checked the Q instruction manual regarding the histogram, and it says:  This form of representation--together with the impressions of the picture itself--provides an additional quick and easy assessment of the exposure setting. Additionally:  In picture mode the histogram should be regarded as a "trend indicator" and not as a depiction of the exact numbers of pixels. I interpret this to mean that the histogram does not provide a true reading of brightness levels. It must be considered in the context of the picture brightness that you see in the EVF. In my brief experience, I am finding that this approach results in better exposures that are easier to work with in post. Most importantly, I am not overexposing by pushing the histogram to the right, as I do with my Sonys.

Someone please correct me if I am getting it wrong.

Rob