Price Increase S007

Guest VVJ

I find the S increase interesting. Several things have popped up recently while randomly cruising the web: 1) Leica Miami does not have a single new S in stock, 2) Lloyd Chambers (whom I do not follow) has stated "...the S system (now defunct)".

Make of these what you will but something seems to be afoot. I sincerely hope Leica does not abandon the S concept.

I find the S increase interesting. Several things have popped up recently while randomly cruising the web: 1) Leica Miami does not have a single new S in stock, 2) Lloyd Chambers (whom I do not follow) has stated "...the S system (now defunct)".

Make of these what you will but something seems to be afoot. I sincerely hope Leica does not abandon the S concept.

Leica Store Miami does have the S007 in stock now together with 15 of the 16 (CS and non-CS) lenses.  I don't believe you can deduce anything from that.

Heard from my dealer in Oslo today that they had 2 orders for S007, waiting for Leica to deliver. So, demand still higher than supply, it seems.

One dealer told me he ordered 6 of them in advance of the price increase. We only know dealer to dealer; I'd be reluctant to generalize about overall supply or demand.

Jeff

for my part, my interest will only peak when Leica drop their price to be about the same price of the X1D... like what they did with the S006 at one time around the time of the S007 early sales... But then again, the lens is still very very expensive...

I would be surprised if that would happen.

My guess would be that Leica goes to 70-80MP in between X1d/GFX and high end Hasselblad/Phase One and tries to carve out a new niche there.

After all they always "claimed" that 50MP would not be a meaningful increase...

I see prices going up instead of going down...

Implying that its competition is inferior...

Not implying, I researched it. X1D and GF failed in critical situations: backlit, CA, max aperture. The so called MF maybe good for 90% of pictures. I`m interested in the next 5% of performance. So the cheap Hasselblad is out of my list, Fuji as well. I didn`t decide for the S...it`s very expensive...but it woould give me wonderful results in my kind of photography.

Not implying, I researched it. X1D and GF failed in critical situations: backlit, CA, max aperture. The so called MF maybe good for 90% of pictures. I`m interested in the next 5% of performance. So the cheap Hasselblad is out of my list, Fuji as well. I didn`t decide for the S...it`s very expensive...but it woould give me wonderful results in my kind of photography.

Actual usage and ownership of all the system you mentioned will conclude differently. GFX is more than capable up against Leica. Hasselblad is good, but it's handicapped by inadequate operation logic of menu and stability of the system, also, creating a mirrorless with no ability to adapt other lens/system is kind of limiting (it's 2016, meaning they have not study the market). 

If the GFX fail in critical situations, I haven't seen it yet up until now. I can however report that it is sometimes superior in IQ to S, and much more versatile.

Edited by xiaubauu2009

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I confirms what I said a few months back. There is a new Soo8 away to get released with 80, yes 80 megabytes [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Maybe those who love the experience of a great optical viewfinder and don't need 100s of megapixels?

i have a good friend in Phuket who is in the market for a S but I told him to wait a wee while for the new Soo8

I also know of another member who just bought a M10 who is going to be kicking himself when he sees what the new S has to offer [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well, this member just bought an M10 (traded M240), but still interested in a complementary digital system, leaning to the SL.. far better handhold-ability than the S007, let alone some monster MP version.... zero interest.

And the M10 is clearly the best digital M I've experienced, in many ways, including a glorious VF. No regrets.

Jeff