How to repair SCNOO winder "fiber-tape"?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Could intrepid repair-oriented users suggest how to take apart and repair a SCNOO rapid winder, whose "tape" has broken?

Yesterday I acquired (through a Kijiji ad nearby, see pictures) a 1933 Leica III #116856 with an interesting black-rim Summar #186198 and a SCNOO rapid winder. It seems to me that a few materials could be used to replace the winder fiber-tape, or perhaps (because it is broken at one end) there is enough tape remaining to just re-use it (although it could be very old, and break again).

I see that there is a round housing for a spring tensioner, so I assume one has to be careful when opening it up, and note how much tension to re-use when putting it back together.

Any suggestions and "tricks" from user experiences, including what to use as "tape", will be appreciated.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I wonder if woven carbon fibre tape might be a better idea, being much more flexible than steel measuring tape and extremely strong. I used it to repair the polypropylene annular  track that a swivel recliner chair I have, both sits on and rotates around. The track got broken in transit to me in France. There is a lot of stress on the repair but it has now lasted three years. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25mm-Carbon-Fibre-Plain-Weave-Tape-3-metres-/171183373497?hash=item27db52fcb9:m:mdw8xufrxgP1E67Eau-2MkQ 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The original material of very fine weave and possibly silk, was approximately .007 inches (.17mm) thick and .21 inches (5.3mm) wide.  Any significant deviation from these dimensions could affect results.  I have, but have not yet tried,a flexible polymer tape of the same dimensions taken from an ink jet printer. This material is very strong and readily available as used printers are common.   

Hello Wilson,

Do you think that would be an improvement on the silk original?

Best Regards,

Michael

Michael, 

Thinking about it, Kevlar tape might be better than carbon fibre, as it is more abrasion resistant. It was first developed as a synthetic version of spider silk and therefore has very similar characteristics to silk. Most fibreglass suppliers now keep this in a variety of widths and thicknesses. You may well find you will blunt a pair of scissors cutting this very tough material. I agree with Alan above the polymer tape from a broken ink jet printer might also be another good alternative to silk. If you think how much work those tapes do over the life of a printer and I have never had one fail. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1